Sheriffs reserve

Sheriffs reserve

This is a discussion on Sheriffs reserve within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a question for you guys. I am planning on joining the local Sheriff Department Reserves within the next year. You have to furnish ...

Thread: Sheriffs reserve

Sheriffs reserve

I have a question for you guys. I am planning on joining the local Sheriff Department Reserves within the next year. You have to furnish your own firearm and that is fine with me. My question is, should I stick with my HK P2000 or go pick up the same model Glock that they issue to their Deputies. Just curious if I should carry what the rest carry. If so, I would like to get it pretty soon to start getting used to shooting it.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

The department may have regulations on what duty sidearms (and calibers) are approved for duty carry. Talk with one of them or call and get the specifics. If the HK is an 'approved' duty gun, stay with it.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

The only requirement they have, is you have to be able to qualify with it. A buddy of mine is the one that got me interested in joining. He is a K-9 deputy and is on the SRT team. He wants me to get on the reserve and then hopefully shortly after get moved to full time deputy and get on the SRT team.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Normally the military and the government take bids to choose equipment. It has to be functional for the purpose needed and the lowest price normally wins the bidding process. It doesn't mean they have chosen the best quality product. It's the best they could obtain for the money...

If you can, use what works best for you. Remember, your life may depend on it.
    Last edited by G96X0; September 13th, 2008 at 11:39 AM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    The only requirement they have, is you have to be able to qualify with it. A buddy of mine is the one that got me interested in joining. He is a K-9 deputy and is on the SRT team. He wants me to get on the reserve and then hopefully shortly after get moved to full time deputy and get on the SRT team.
    SRT would be Very Good. Just the 'leap' to full time deputy sounds worth it. Good Luck!

As for myself, It'd be a GREAT excuse to get another gun (BIG grin), but if the HK is good, then your good. I'd personnaly want to stay uniform with the department. Either way your Good To Go.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Well as an old and not current LE ill say that at a reserve carry what you shoot best within policy . If you do in fact find from your reserve work ( and thank you for that ) you want to pursue a job as a deputy ( LE is like sausage , everyone loves it untill they see it made lol ) , then worry about the " issue " weapon . If it is as i suspect its likely you will still be able to carry your " reserve weapon " no matter what they issue to folk who dont have one . Point is that the entire " share ammo or mags " bs is only valid for purchase contracts , because as an old LE and Firearms instructor ill say that if you run out of ammo you best hide behind me , no matter what i will not give you any of mine to waste too .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Moderator
    You may as well get the same model Glock that they are using especially if you wan to do SRT. You all need to have the same magazine interchangeability. You probably wont ever get in that situation, but if you did you'll be glad that your stuff is the same as everyone else's.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Well as an old and not current LE ill say that at a reserve carry what you shoot best within policy . If you do in fact find from your reserve work ( and thank you for that ) you want to pursue a job as a deputy ( LE is like sausage , everyone loves it untill they see it made lol ) , then worry about the " issue " weapon . If it is as i suspect its likely you will still be able to carry your " reserve weapon " no matter what they issue to folk who dont have one . Point is that the entire " share ammo or mags " bs is only valid for purchase contracts , because as an old LE and Firearms instructor ill say that if you run out of ammo you best hide behind me , no matter what i will not give you any of mine to waste too .

That's funny. As far as going full time, that is my intention now. The way they hire, it is easier to get hired on full time from the reserves.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    deadeye72 glad you appreciated the " funny " It was ment for a few selected folk . I do mention tho that if you go full time , well the pistol you carry is the least of it . Honestly work the pistol as best they can, and frankly it matters not what pistol or caliber . The point is not toloose the ability to hit with Your pistol . Also remember that no matter show your SO works , a big things is to handle the call and dont just go in shooting . Sorry but the best i can give as rule is that when someone shoots at you , well you shoot back . ( i hope you have a better hit ratio ) . Many here can speak to LE jobs . Many are wrong ( me too lol ) . Many here are in LE , i used to be . There is nothing wrong with serving your contrey , and there is nothing wrong with asking questions . For myself i was LE and i used " selective enforcement " .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I understand that there is a lot more to it that just the firearm, but it is one part of the equation. I am already reading up on state and local laws to get prepared and exercising as often as my work schedule will allow. I am however limited on how often I can go shoot right now and thought that if it would be better to change weapons, it might be wise to start getting used to it now if possible. I know shooting the Glock will be a good bit different than shooting my HK, but if I have to adjust, I will. I want to be sure when I attempt to go through the training, I am as prepared for every aspect of it as best I can be. I am also planning on doing a few ridealongs with the K-9 buddy of mine to get a feel for the actual work itself. I understand that it can be an extremely dangerous job and that is why I want to be very well prepared. I've got a wife and 2 kids to come back home to every day.

B.T.W. I understand what you meant with the "funny" also. I don't think I would want to share my ammo with someone that has done wasted all of theirs. I guess it would depend on the situation though.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Being a reserve is definitely a worth while venture. I have been a reserve for 5 years and love it. I carry a Glock 19 because that is what most of the others carried when I first started. Now a lot of people carry the Glock 22/23 and I have stayed with the Glock 19. As a reserve you do not get as much of the face time that full time deputies will get. So make sure you carry something that you are proficient with and comfortable with (this is the most important part). Make sure that you not only can you qualify with your weapon, but make sure that you are proficient and have extreme muscle memory built up with it if, god forbid, you should ever need to bring it into action.

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    been in the reserves with my SO here since April and we carry a Glock 19 but I have since went to carrying a Glock 23 on and offduty so trust me work out as much as you can and you will be fine.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Sponsored Links