Question for LEO's re: enforcement

This is a discussion on Question for LEO's re: enforcement within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just curious...... a small town has two officers.... one for days, and one for nights. (true) Speed limits are posted, as a state highway runs ...

Thread: Question for LEO's re: enforcement

Question for LEO's re: enforcement

Just curious...... a small town has two officers.... one for days, and one for nights. (true)

Speed limits are posted, as a state highway runs thru town.

Question....... does an officer have the leeway to NOT pull over a speeding vehicle, if he decides he just doesn't want to? Or, is he required (by virtue of the State installed speed limit signs) to enforce the speed limits ?
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    There is always officer discretion, but... it is the officers job to enforce all laws, not just the ones he feels like. IMO, I'd rather have my one officer on duty performing criminal patrol work rather than traffic enforcement.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'd agree if the officer couldn't see both ends of town just by turning his head. Our town is 8 blocks by 14 blocks.

Thanks for your input
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The is always officer discretion, but... it is the officers job to enforce all laws, not just the ones he feels like. IMO, I'd rather have my one officer on duty performing criminal patrol work rather than traffic enforcement.
    In some small towns like the one he's talking about,usually the most serious crime they deal with is jaywalking,lol.But if it's something the officer constantly does you can try to document it and possibly videotape the cars speeding in relation to cars that are doing the speed limit .then present the evidence to the body of people that hired the cop
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It doesn't matter how big of town you're in, you REALLY do not want the police to be enforcing every law 100% of the time. Those who think they want that are the first to complain when the police actually do it. They're the ones who want the law enforced on the other guy, not themselves.
    183 FBINA

Many Hard felons are caught from minor traffic violations. Case in point ,Ted Bundy. Just a thought to ponder.

Its sad to say it but a lot of LEOs on small police forces are under a lot of pressure to generate revenue for the town, to help pay for their salaries and raise money for the towns. They usually don't bother with the infractions with small fines, they go after the high dollar tickets - speeding.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

We have 2 cops where I live. One works weekdays and the other only works weekends. At the town meetings they are constantly reminded to watch for traffic infractions.

Ofcourse everyone in town takes it for granted this only applies to out of town folks. They wouldnt keep their jobs long giving townies tickets.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Many Hard felons are caught from minor traffic violations. Case in point ,Ted Bundy. Just a thought to ponder.
    and Tim McVeigh...
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Some of my best felony arrests resulted from traffic stops, ie to name a few, 2 separate murderers, the largest seizure of liquid PCP ever taken off the road (4 gallons), 2 separate counterfeiters with a total of over $1 mil in funny money, several burglars, 44 kilo of coke, several hundred thousand dollars in drug money, etc.
    Bad guys drive cars too.
    183 FBINA

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rolyat63 View Post
    and Tim McVeigh...
    Darn it, you beat me to it! IIRC, he didn't have a tag on the getaway car. BTW, he had a CCW from Washington I believe, but Kentucky didn't reciprocate, THAT is why he originally went to jail. The cop noticed a "bulge".
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Administrator
    Heavy traffic enforcement also will keep the no goodniks out of your town. In a town of only two LEO's this could be the best way of protecting the town.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    he had a CCW from Washington I believe, but Kentucky didn't reciprocate, THAT is why he originally went to jail. The cop noticed a "bulge".
    Why would Kentucky matter? He was stopped in Oklahoma.
    183 FBINA

Officers have the discretion to enforce or not enforce the law. They are subject to thier departmental policy upon doing so. If you are doing traffic and you know that the average speed that the travelers do is 70 in a 65 and you wait until you find a 95 MPH violation your passing up on less dangerous violation for the more dangerous speed. common sense.

Traffic tickets are NOT a good source of revenue for an agency/city as the State usually takes a large part of the fine (if they cite under state statues)
    "Arms in the hands of individual citizens may be used at individual discretion..in private self defense." John Adams

Reasons for diligent traffic enforcement:

1. Keeps accidents and the associated injuries, fatalities, and destruction of property down.

2. As noted, helps keep the riff raff away.

3. As noted, helps catch the riff raff who don't stay away.
    God, country, family.

Links