Nice to see something like this for a change.

This is a discussion on Nice to see something like this for a change. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Road bears name of fallen Trooper Bryant By Jim Williamson Texarkana Gazette DE QUEEN, Ark.—A truck driver from the Frog Level community near Horatio, Ark., ...

Thread: Nice to see something like this for a change.

Road bears name of fallen Trooper Bryant

By Jim Williamson Texarkana Gazette

DE QUEEN, Ark.—A truck driver from the Frog Level community near Horatio, Ark., was able to motivate state and local government to honor a state trooper murdered 24 years ago in the line of duty.
    Carroll Watkins, who drives a truck and owns Durango Transportation Services Inc., won his battle with state government due to his persistence in getting the late Arkansas State Trooper Louis Bryant honored.
    On Friday, a section of U.S. Highway 70-71 between De Queen and the Cossatot River bridge was named the Trooper Louis Bryant Memorial Highway.
    Bryant was killed in the line of duty during a traffic stop about 5 miles east of De Queen—in the area now named for him—on June 30, 1984.
    Arkansas State Police Cpl. Roger Whitmore helped Watkins persuade elected officials on the state and local levels to honor the trooper who was shot to death by survivalist Richard Wayne Snell.
    Watkins and Whitmore contacted elected officials and the Arkansas Highway Commission for advice. The Sevier County Quorum Court approved a resolution May 13 encouraging the commission to designate a portion of the highway in honor of Bryant, said Sevier County Judge Dick Tallman.
    The highway department and commission approved the request and signs were constructed near U.S. Highway 70-71 and the Cossatot River bridge.
    “When a man dies in his uniform, he has given his all and we needed to recognize him,” said Watkins, who knew Bryant when they both would buy items at the Sevier County Farmer’s Co-Op in De Queen in 1984. “I got fond of him. I liked his mannerisms. He was a perfect gentleman.”
    Watkins became emotional when speaking about his idea to rename a part of the highway.
    “This is something I wanted to see and it’s very touching to me,” he said.
    He can still recall the day Bryant was killed.
    “What could be in a man’s head to make him shoot a trooper point-blank? I still don’t understand it,” said Watkins.
    Bryant’s widow, Dr. Wynona Bryant-Williams of Little Rock, attended the ceremonies.
    “I’m overwhelmed and grateful. It means so much to us,” Bryant-Williams said. “People don’t have to be nice to you, but we know what it means to us as a family, because we experienced this on such a personal level. But for other people who recognize the sacrifice outside of our family, I don’t think there are really words to describe what this means to all of us. This is a beautiful gesture.”
    The slain trooper’s mother, Jessie Bryant of Fayetteville, also attended the ceremony, saying it brought back a “flood of memories.”
    “I have mixed emotions on something like this. This brings back a flood of good memories dredged in with bad ones. It makes me know there is a God,” said Bryant’s mother, who is a justice of the p eace in Washington County, Ark.
    On July 5, 1984, Bryant’s funeral was conducted in Texarkana, Ark., and while traveling to the funeral, a De Queen patrol car was hit by a tractor-trailer on U.S. Highway 71 south of Ashdown, Ark.
    The collision killed four De Queen police officers, Bill Mills, Roy Brewer, Bill Gillham and Herman Jones.
    De Queen Mayor Billy Ray McKelvy was the editor of the De Queen Bee and Daily Citizen during the chain of events.
    “It was a tragedy I won’t forget,” said McKelvy.
    Snell, the man who fatally shot Bryant, fled the scene and about an hour later was captured in Broken Bow, Okla.
    Bryant’s wife found his body in front of his patrol car. She was traveling from Texarkana to De Queen to have lunch with him. She recognized her husband’s vehicle by his identification license and stopped. She attempted to perform CPR, then got on the police radio and called for help.
    Bryant had been shot twice, with one bullet piercing his lung.
    Snell received life without parole for the murder.
    He was later convicted and sentenced to die for the murder of Bill Stumpp, a Texarkana, Ark., pawnshop owner. The weapon used to kill Bryant had been stolen during in the pawnshop robbery and murder. Police were able to link Snell to Stumpp’s murder.
    Snell remained on death row until his execution on April 19, 1995—the same day of the bombing of the Alfred Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Awesome, surprised it took so long and so much work to get that done.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

When I was in HS (8 years ago) we had two State Police Officers killed one day during school. Deputy Hathcock and Deputy Lowery pulled over Tilmon and Kevin Golphin. Both were shot to death with an AK47. Messed up thing was that both the wives worked at the school. The killings were less than 3 miles away. Every time I drive home to see my parents I see the Ed Lowery and David Hathcock section of I-95. Sad

Sponsored Links