Defensive Carry banner

Tasers again...You still think yours works?

1K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  AgentX 
#1 ·
Well, I had to bring up the taser debate again. Sorry guys...but here's yet another story that adds fuel to my fire. I don't trust em, never have, and never will.

Police: 'Cuban Wrestling Champ' Fights 6 Officers - Portland News Story - KPTV Portland

Police said Worter Torriente-Vela, 28, injured three officers in a fight with six officers, who used a Taser on him four times.
The officers said that Torriente-Vela was incredibly strong and managed to break through all their holds and Tasers seemed to have no effect on him.
emphasis added by me

So it appears the initial responding 3 officers couldn't handle him physically, used their tasers, realized they didn't affect him(the hard way), called for backup. They got 3 more officers and out of the six total they all still struggled just to get him cuffed all the while he was tasered 4 times to boot.

#3 ·
Taking an educated guess from a position of first hand experiance, I will say that more than likely the Taser was not used correctly.
No fault on the officers, its nearly impossible to do it right in a situation like that.

#4 ·
Time to escalate things and go to an impact weapon be it a baton, or a bullet.
He might be Iron Man but he ain't Superman. He'd feel a baton upside his head or a bullet.

- Janq

#5 ·
unless he's on LSD which reduces the pain sensation dramaticly.

LSD was studied in the 1960s by Eric Kast as an analgesic for serious and chronic pain caused by cancer or other major trauma.[38] Even at low (sub-psychedelic) dosages, it was found to be at least as effective as traditional opiates, while being much longer lasting (pain reduction lasting as long as a week after peak effects had subsided).
not sure about how cocain could affect that though

#6 ·
I think it's important to keep in mind all the times a taser has worked in comparison to the few times it hasn't. Let us not forget that bullets don't always work as expected either.

#7 ·
..... bullets don't always work as expected either.
Pretty much what I was going to say. Sounds like they couldn't get enough control to Drive Stun him, so maybe impact should have been used?

#9 ·
The Taser's electrical current interrupts the signals from the brain to the rest of the body, so it must have been used improperly. I'd be pissed if I was one of those cops. Threaten my brothers (sisters) and I? His strength is nothing compared to the strength of the law. Oops, did I say that?. "Quit resisting, quit resisting!" "I'm not resisting!", "Yes you are!".

#10 ·
+1 to sixto. It may have been difficult to apply the taser correctly during the fight. I have seen the taser in action quite a few times. When applied correctly, I have never seen the taser not take a suspect down. It also shows that you need to have a backup plan thought out. You should always have a plan B thought out and ready to go.

#11 ·
Living in Portland I was shocked that they didnt shoot the guy as our local PD in Portland has earned a well deserved reputation for being somewhat trigger happy. And no this isn't a bash on them just a statement of fact. They are more prone to go to the far end of the spectrum rather than tryin ga less than lethal option first.

#12 ·
The times I've seen the TASER "fail" were the result of the following:
Miss with one barb.
Miss with both barbs.
Loose clothing catches the barb, giving the appearance of a "hit" when there was little or no skin contact. This one causes people to say, "The TASER didn't work on him!"
Malfunction of the cartridge.

And drive stuns don't count.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.