On the Way to the Border

This is a discussion on On the Way to the Border within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here, http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...e-officer.html , I posted seeking advice and help concerning getting hired with the local police department. After that, I tested and failed the interview. ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: On the Way to the Border

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar

On the Way to the Border

Here, http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...e-officer.html , I posted seeking advice and help concerning getting hired with the local police department. After that, I tested and failed the interview. I repeated the test later and again failed. A third time I took the test and a third time I failed the interview.

I just read my post and realize that I've matured a bit and also notice that my priorities and desires are virtually the same.

In the summer I did some learning and found that the U.S. Border Patrol might not be a bad place for me to start. While it's not something that I'm just thrilled about, I do realize the many benefits to me. It's a stepping-stone to a career in law enforcement should I continue to choose; it meets a requirement for my degree; and it possibly gives me hours toward my minor. As badly as I've wanted to post my progress with it here, I've postponed it until now.

In the past few weeks, I've applied, tested, filled out and mailed 150 pages, and passed a physical. Today I interviewed and was selected for a job, conditional to my passing the background check.

I simply felt the want to share this. Questions and comments are certainly welcome.
    Last edited by Agave; September 25th, 2008 at 11:43 PM.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like a good start

I am currently filling out my background info packet to test with the local PD on oct 10th. Would you have any insight on the tone of the interviews? I am sure it will varry department to department but what kind of questions did they hit you with? any input would be appreciated and i didn't mean to jack your thread, i'll go start my own.

If you make it through the BP Academy I will be happy to welcome you to "Uncle Sugar".

Biker

The Academy is not an easy ride for most people. If you make it to the other side, you'll be justifiably proud of yourself.

Honor First
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

Congrats...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by nuparadigm View Post
    The Academy is not an easy ride for most people.
    This is what I understand. I'm going to start training immediately. I'm already proficient in Spanish and I don't think I'll have trouble with law, but PT is not my forte.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

I saw somewhere that something like 40% or more of new BP agents quit within 6 months of hire.I think somebody said due to the hiring quotas and the fact a lot of people don't realise the harsh working conditions on the border.The pay with overtime is around $70,000 a year from my understanding,but the heat and job stress can be extreme.There are many incidents on the border most people never hear about until somebody gets shot or agents get charged with something.BP agents have been fired on from Mexico on a regular basis by drug runners.Good luck on your future job it can also be a rewarding career.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

There are many incidents on the border most people never hear about until somebody gets shot or agents get charged with something.BP agents have been fired on from Mexico on a regular basis by drug runners.Good luck on your future job it can also be a rewarding career.
    Oh so true.

Yes, it is very "different" on the border.

Biker

VIP Member
    Good luck with it.

Wow! Good luck and please keep us posted!!
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    Here, http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...e-officer.html ,
    A third time I took the test and a third time I failed the interview.

Questions and comments are certainly welcome.
    You mentioned three times that you've failed the interview. What aspect of the interview have you repeatedly failed?
    From what I understand of the BP, it is an extremely grueling arm of LE. Not just the training but also the work and you have no idea where you'll be stationed. If you're having difficulty getting on with local PD, I believe you may have the same results with the BP.
    While I wish you luck and admire your desire to join the BP, be sure to get as much info as possible on it as it won't be easy.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    What aspect of the interview have you repeatedly failed?
    I failed the interview. They asked questions, I answered, they gave/I earned an insufficient score.

From what I understand of the BP, it is an extremely grueling arm of LE. Not just the training but also the work and you have no idea where you'll be stationed.
    I strive in grueling conditions (other than while running). I was admin in the Corps and I hated being in the office. Applicants select a region and the service generally puts them in the region that they select. I selected "West Texas & New Mexico."

If you're having difficulty getting on with local PD, I believe you may have the same results with the BP.
    I failed the interview for the PD. I passed the interview for the BP. It just took a little trail & error. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    This is what I understand. I'm going to start training immediately. I'm already proficient in Spanish and I don't think I'll have trouble with law, but PT is not my forte.
    When you think of Border Patrol PT, think lower body strength ... think "running". You'll do lots of it ... over varying terrain.

When you're running in formation and someone drops out because they can't make it, don't drop out to pick him/her up in order to carry him/her. That sort of thing is for the military. (I, as you are, am a Marine and this was one of the most difficult things for me to learn in the Academy).

You'll learn that it's fundamental for the Border Patrol that, if you get in a SHTF situation while on duty, chances are your closest back-up will be pretty far away. You have to learn to pack the gear as if you're all alone. That's because, many times, you are all alone.

Honor First
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

By God, if you were in the Marine Corps you oughta be able to make it in the Border Patrol for heaven's sake. Good luck, get back in shape and show 'em what your made of.

Thank you for deciding to serve your country again. I truly think the Border Patrol is our first line of defense these days.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

congrats
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links