Lunch with Delta Force

This is a discussion on Lunch with Delta Force within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am involved in a new business venture. Yesterday we had a get together lunch. One of the business partners has recruited his son to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lunch with Delta Force

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Lunch with Delta Force

I am involved in a new business venture. Yesterday we had a get together lunch. One of the business partners has recruited his son to help out in the business. He was bragging on him for the last couple of days. He said that he just "retired" from the army and was in Delta Force.

When I met him, he was not what I expected. He was Joe Average, mild manored and just an all around low key, mellow guy. Just looking at him you would never know of his training or skill level. Not sure if he was carrying, but I felt a little safer walking down the street with him.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

That's the point, you don't know who they are. Just don't make any sudden movements .

I'm not so sure the Dad should be telling people his son was in DF, you never really know who is around. I know I wouldn't want people to know, I'd stick with the story the Army worked up as my cover.

I bet he has some interesting stories though!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Yep, the phsychological criteria for Delta is the most rigorous not to say that the physical is not demanding but you don't want someone that is gonna go over the edge with that kind of training. Try Delta Force by Col. Charlie Beckwith Founder & First Commander
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Hmm...I'm not sure I'd want that kind of information to get around if I was him. Might want to mention that to the dad. Retired or not, I would suspect it has the potential to cause problems, especially if he hasn't been out very long.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Administrator
    Most people think the snake eaters are some super human great ape types... its simply not the case. When I was in, I dealt with these guys daily... most looked like smaller guys than one would expect due to Hollywood stereo types. I'll admit I was taken back a little the first time I got to train with some SEALs, they were much different than I expected. I later learned that the stereo type is pretty much wrong across the board no matter the branch of service.

Also, these guys are selected and make it because of their intellect. The operations these guys are trained for take much more brains than it does muscle; they have plenty of resources for the muscle when its needed.
    "Just blame Sixto"

We conducted a mission with some Delta operators about 7 years ago. They were a laid back, fun-loving group of people who didn't look or act the part. They taught us a LOT about our jobs and firearm/combat skills....very serious training, but those guys just seemed to be having the time of thier lives. They made a hard job fun and very educational.

They are a great group and I respect them!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    most looked like smaller guys than one would expect due to Hollywood stereo types.
    You mean they don't look like Chuck Norris or Arnold Schwarzenegger?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    You mean they don't look like Chuck Norris or Arnold Schwarzenegger?
    bad comparison...chuck norris is a really small guy.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Haven't you heard--DF doesn't exist! ;)

The kid must be bowlshiting his dad.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    But his shadow is 10 ft. tall. I was actually thinking back to the DF movies where he kicked entire countries butts with a dirt bike with rockets attached to the handlebars.

-Paco

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    He said that he just "retired" from the army and was in Delta Force.

When I met him, he was not what I expected. He was Joe Average, mild manored and just an all around low key, mellow guy. Just looking at him you would never know of his training or skill level. Not sure if he was carrying, but I felt a little safer walking down the street with him.
    And I'll bet he never mentioned he was in Delta. If he did, that would be unusual and make me wonder.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    There are troops that are in Airborne that have never jumped out of an aircraft. Not saying this is the case, but attaching a moniker, from a parent no less, is usually somewhere in the middle with the reality.

Rick

When I was on active duty I was recuited by Delta twice. The first time I thought it was a mistake. I was Field Artillery, not Special Forces or a Ranger, so why did they want me? When I went to the briefing I noticed a lot of other guys that weren't "Rambo" types either. So I asked why they were interested in us. The guy that gave the briefing said, "I used to be a clerk-typist. We're looking for brains and motivation, not Rambo."

I would have given it a shot except for the fact that my wife had a fit!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    ...whom I would avoiding smacking at all costs!

VIP Member
    Chuck Norris counted to infinity...Twice.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links