West Fargo, ND - Citizen's Police Academy - Week 4

West Fargo, ND - Citizen's Police Academy - Week 4

This is a discussion on West Fargo, ND - Citizen's Police Academy - Week 4 within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; (Cross-posted at RyanJensen.com. Please let me know if anyone does not want to see these here.) Ah, Part Two of Firearms, how do I love ...

Talking West Fargo, ND - Citizen's Police Academy - Week 4

(Cross-posted at RyanJensen.com. Please let me know if anyone does not want to see these here.)

Ah, Part Two of Firearms, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways …

1. We just got down to business and shot guns. No discussion, no lessons (save a brief manual of arms introduction to the Glock … easy as can be).
    2. First shot using an officer's Glock 22 service pistol cut the intersection of the X at seven yards (see photo below).
    3. Another officer to instructor: “It’s not how good they are, it’s how good you make them.” Officer to me: “Put the rest of the rounds off the target, we’ll tell them you used the same hole.”
    4. Double taps in the X-ring.
    5. Body armor drills with two to COM and one to the head.
    6. Eight shots inside the 8-ring in 3.3 seconds.
    7. 42 of 43 total shots in the 9-ring (seven head shots).
    8. 34 of 43 total shots in the X-rings.
    9. Four for four from 75 feet within the 7-ring: one in the X-ring, two in the 9-ring.
    10. Firearms Training System (FATS) … ’nuff said.

Actually, not quite enough said … FATS is amazing! CO2-powered Glock 17 replicas with aim and shot tracking. Live action video with multiple responses to our commands/shots. A suicidal suspect surrendering without shots fired. A drug house gunfight where my partner and I each fired 14 shots (to stop the threats, of course). A school shooting with multiple suspects taken down successfully.

The training facility is north on University Drive just outside the entrance to the Air National Guard station. West Fargo PD, Fargo PD and Cass County Sheriff all share in the maintenance and use of the facility. They have an indoor range with eight stations and great HVAC (couldn’t even smell the gunpowder). There are two training rooms, one with pads for force-on-force training and the other with the FATS simulator.

Overall I was very impressed with tonight’s class, and everyone seemed to have a blast. Next week we have class on Tuesday (instead of Monday) also at the training center for our SWAT discussion.

As promised, here is the photo of my target:

Last edited by Bumper; October 17th, 2008 at 05:53 AM. Reason: Removed officer's names. Most don't want the publicity....

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Glad you had a good week. I hope that the PD here in Bismarck does this
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Our local Police Department offers a Citizen's Police Academy which lasts 8 weeks, one night a week, 3 hours a night. I went thru it several years ago. They limit number of students to 20. When I applied, had to provide references, etc., which they actually called and checked me out. The classes covered everything from the budget for the department, equipment, training, K-9 and demo on tracking and drug sniffers as well as K-9 officers, S.W.A.T. team, demo of SWAT tactics (they actually took our classroom down and we were NOT expecting it, scared the crap out of several folks), and the most fun was the SIM training/scenarios and the MANDATORY ride along which culminated the course. They are planning an advanced Citizens Police Academy, and I already have my name on the list. It certainly gave me a NEW appreciation of our LEO's and the difficulty of the job they do.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Sounds like tons of fun.
    I've been through Fargo. I didn't know it was big enough to have a "West"!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Heck I lived in Grand Forks, and didn't know Fargo had a "Westside"
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

It's not just "western Fargo" ... it's actually a separate city called West Fargo. Kinda like East Grand Forks, MN (the "real" Grand Forks is across the river in ND).

But, in any case, Fargo proper is about 90,000 residents and the Fargo-Moorhead Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) is about 180,000 residents -- a lot more than most people would think.

Here in Phoenix, we call 90K a "precinct".
    I'm sincerely happy you guys have such an active force, and is willing to share with the community. Keep up the good work!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanjensen View Post
    It's not just "western Fargo" ... it's actually a separate city called West Fargo. Kinda like East Grand Forks, MN (the "real" Grand Forks is across the river in ND).

But, in any case, Fargo proper is about 90,000 residents and the Fargo-Moorhead Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) is about 180,000 residents -- a lot more than most people would think.
    Ryan, I do know of Fargo/Moorhead and West Fargo. When I typed "Westside" I was making reference to LA gang slang.

You ever deal with Tint Masters?? Shane and I were good friends when I lived up there.

To stay on topic, Glad to see they are offering a CPA class. I went to our local CPA class, and am now in Reserve Officers Training. Enjoy it, it shows you a different side of LE.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Links