Do you think this guy was a sheriff? - Page 2

Do you think this guy was a sheriff?

This is a discussion on Do you think this guy was a sheriff? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The man could have been doing anything. We just finished up a manhunt for an escaped convict that involved the state police, various Sheriff Dept's ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you think this guy was a sheriff?

Senior Moderator
    The man could have been doing anything. We just finished up a manhunt for an escaped convict that involved the state police, various Sheriff Dept's and even several different city police Dept's. Since it was a call out situation, everyone just shows up whatever they are dressed in although most will put on a t-shirt or something that identifies them.

Jeans, t-shirts, and guns everywhere with cuffs are evident. The only one wearing uniforms are the ones on shift at that time. Although we have the option of wearing black BDU's on call outs; unless there is alot of time most people don't. In this case, many were on 4 wheelers, some horses, a few helo's and lots of people just walking around in the woods with radios.

Personally, I don't put cuffs in the back pocket, I'll wear them in the waistband as its more secure.

My answer to the question is YES, it is entirely possible that it was a deputy on some special duty. Although you should have seen a badge somewhere, at least in close proximity to a gun.

It may look unprofessional,to some, but when you are traipsing around the hills crawling up and down bluffs, crossing streams, checking out caves and shelters and such, and kicking up mud on 4 wheelers,the guys that are doing it don't really care much what they look like or going to look like when its over.

I know that we have piled into restaurants after a long,hard day, and we looked more like terrorists than cops.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

In Michigan the Sheriff is indeed a elected (county) job, however his deputies do wear apparel that say either Sheriff or Sheriff's department.

Wearing such garb and not being one is impersonating and can land you behind bars. But we do have a volunteer section that they use for special events, such as where a horse is required and the county has none.

Now was he one???? very possibly as it was said he may have been on a dirty assignment and not wanting to ruin a expensive (big $$$$) uniform wore his grubbys.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The man could have been doing anything. We just finished up a manhunt for an escaped convict that involved the state police, various Sheriff Dept's and even several different city police Dept's. Since it was a call out situation, everyone just shows up whatever they are dressed in although most will put on a t-shirt or something that identifies them.
    When dropping off/picking up my step-son at a "neutral spot", it was not uncommon for his Dad to show up in jeans and a t-shirt with "Police" written somewhere on it (he's local PD). Typical attire when serving warrants and such, though I'm sure there was a little more to the outfit while he was on duty.

If in doubt next time get tag number of van and then call the Sheriff department to report your observations,If open carry is legal in mo. then he has committed no crime.Wearing a shirt with Sheriff,ATF,FBI,ICE,or any other name isn't illegal,only when you purport yourself to be a LEO,and a gun and handcuffs and Sheriff shirt may lead people to assume but won't meet the requirements by law.Usually LEO will have a badge showing on a neck chain or clipped on the waist
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

sheriffs are deputies here in S FL. I've seen alot of them shopping in grocery stores probably after shift and change of clothes. Dressed in civies with weapon exposed. Not a problem for me, actually glad to see them around. I think your suspicions may have been unwarranted. The more we all see sheriffs or deputies around the better we are.
    NRA Member
    Ret. LEO

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Sixto:

I thought it was "pleece" or "poe-leece" or "po-po"....
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

VIP Member
    Grady-After that last restaurant experience you witnessed (the two guys fighting) maybe the police are now supplying you with your own personal restaurant cop.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

In n/FL County is Sherriff & little towns P/D & Sherriff is not a deputy he is ellected like SIXTO said. Sherriff Department /poliece agency

looks can be deceiving

Thanks for all your inputs. Now I know the difference between sheriffs and sheriff's deputies.

On reflection, I think the two things that bothered me were his cuffs hanging out and his attitude, and I could have misinterpreted his attitude. I've had some experience with small-town sheriffs and their deputies trying to act like bad-asses, when being professional would have garnered much more respect from me.

In my current town of St. Peters, the police are very professional both in appearance and attitude. In the few times over the last 13 years I've dealt with them, they have always been professional and courteous, whether it was a routine encounter, or me reporting something, or when I got a deserved ticket. I even had an officer draw his gun on me once, but immediately afterwards he was very courteous and polite. I don't feel like getting into details, but I'll say I was completely exonerated. Otherwise I wouldn't have my CCW now.

My point is, after being away from the country for 30 years, I guess I've come to appreciate professional LEO's rather than the high-schoolish tough-guy sauntering that some show once they get a little authority. I recently worked with a security officer with such an attitude, and he ended up getting fired for threatening another officer.

Back to the topic, the attitude I felt from this guy with the cuffs hanging out of his pocket was that he was looking for an opportunity to throw his cuffs on someone in order to prove his authority. Either that, or he was a wannabe.

Perhaps he was from some rural area and was just passing through. That would explain a lot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    You ARE in Missouri, right?

Did you get him? We had a similar manhunt last week a few miles from my house that involved over 200 officers. They were searching for the guy who killed a kid in Illinois, and they did catch him.

Personally, I don't put cuffs in the back pocket, I'll wear them in the waistband as its more secure.
    If he had done this, I wouldn't have given him a second look other than to try and identify his weapon.

My answer to the question is YES, it is entirely possible that it was a deputy on some special duty. Although you should have seen a badge somewhere, at least in close proximity to a gun.

It may look unprofessional,to some, but when you are traipsing around the hills crawling up and down bluffs, crossing streams, checking out caves and shelters and such, and kicking up mud on 4 wheelers,the guys that are doing it don't really care much what they look like or goning to look like when its over.

I know that we have piled into resturaunts after a long,hard day, and we looked more like terrorists than cops.
    I've done the same, both in my current job and previously in the military, after a long, hard day. Dirty guys need food, too, and I understand that.

Quote Originally Posted by 747Sonny View Post
    sheriffs are deputies here in S FL. I've seen alot of them shopping in grocery stores probably after shift and change of clothes. Dressed in civies with weapon exposed. Not a problem for me, actually glad to see them around. I think your suspicions may have been unwarranted. The more we all see sheriffs or deputies around the better we are.
    His weapon didn't bother me, as at the time I took him for what he either appeared to be or was portraying, an LEO of some sort.

I like to see LEO's around also, as long as they don't have inferiority complexes or tough-guy attitudes. I'd rather not be around an armed individual with a bad attitude no matter what he or she is wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Grady-After that last restaurant experience you witnessed (the two guys fighting) maybe the police are now supplying you with your own personal restaurant cop.

And after my long hard week, that lightened the load.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossman View Post
    looks can be deceiving
    Agreed. I'll bet he had no idea what I was carrying.

Thanks for all your replies. I see LEO's as allies, and I do like to see them around town. I know they have a tough job to do. But conversely, I have no tolerance for the few bad eggs that slip through. They need to be culled as soon as possible before they hurt someone. One bad LEO (and I'm not necessarily referring to the guy in the OP) can bring discredit to an entire agency. The public is fickle and quick to blame. Me included sometimes.

Thanks to the LEO's who can still manage to be polite and professional after dealing with the public all day.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    As it was explained to me many years ago, the Deputy is an appointed representative of the Sheriff, therefore the Deputy is the Sheriff, when the Sheriff is not there. Kind of like a foreign Ambassador being the official US representative. I think most if not all Sheriffs are elected, never heard of one being appointed.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Administrator
    An acting sheriff can be appointed by trustees should the elected sheriff leave office for whatever reason. The appointee can hold the office until the next election or until a special election can be held.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Did you get him? We had a similar manhunt last week a few miles from my house that involved over 200 officers. They were searching for the guy who killed a kid in Illinois, and they did catch him.
    Nope. Still out there somewhere.

If he had done this, I wouldn't have given him a second look other than to try and identify his weapon.
    Different strokes for different folks. May just be his way of carrying cuffs.

As for carrying the gun in plain view, here it is state law to display the badge withing 3 inches of the gun when carrying on duty or even off duty. Of course when carrying concealed the badge is not needed, but otherwise if you are carrying openly, you'd better have a badge showing to avoid any misunderstanding. Saves lots of questions too.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links