Do you think this guy was a sheriff?

This is a discussion on Do you think this guy was a sheriff? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife and I ate at Culver's the other afternoon. For those who are unfamiliar, it's a fast-food place that has more options and better ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think this guy was a sheriff?

Do you think this guy was a sheriff?

My wife and I ate at Culver's the other afternoon. For those who are unfamiliar, it's a fast-food place that has more options and better food than typical fast-food joints. Anyway, just before we left this guy came into the place and got in line to order something to go. He ended up leaving about the same time we did. I'm going to describe him and I'm seeking opinions on whether you think he is a sheriff or not. This is not a trick question, and I don't know the answer. I'll probably never see him again, so I'll probably never know. Here's my description of him:

About 6' 3", perhaps 220 lbs. with a 30-lb gut.

Dressed in a sloppy black t-shirt with the word "SHERIFF" in grey 8" letters across the back.

T-shirt was tucked into a pair of old jeans.

Had an auto on his right hip at 3:00. Couldn't get a good look at it, but it may have been a Glock.

Brown boots, not pointy cowboy boots, but the ones with round-point toes which pull on.

In his back left pocket he had a pair of handcuffs. No case. Just the cuffs. I should say he had one cuff in the back pocket because the other was dangling outside his pocket, slapping him in the rear with every step he took.

He was 40-45, medium-length hair that looked as if it hadn't been cut in a while.

Something about his mannerisms didn't seem right. He was sauntering around and may have been trying to draw attention to himself.

When he left, he got into a brown, older model Chevy van with regular plates.

I'm not trying to be critical of this guy in my description. He was sloppy looking, and the handcuffs hanging out of his back pocket looked very unprofessional to me. I've never seen a sheriff look so unprofessional.

My wife doesn't think he was a sheriff and was very uncomfortable around this guy (we passed by the line and counter on the way out, and he left about the same time we did). At the time, I thought he might be an off-duty sheriff, but as I was remembering the incident later, I realized I had tunnel-vision on this guy. Something just didn't seem right. The sloppy handcuffs bothered me, as well as his mannerism. I wondered if he was a cop wannabe.

As a side note, it give me an opportunity to talk to my wife about the advantages of concealed carry, how I knew he was armed, but he had no idea I was armed. She wouldn't admit it, but I think she was glad I was armed.

I'm not trying to be critical of sheriffs, or undercover LEO's who dress sloppy to look the part. I don't think this guy can be considered undercover since he was wearing a SHERIFF t-shirt.

What do you think? Does this guy's dress match the dress of any sheriffs you know? Have you ever seen anyone carry handcuffs in this manner? I could have misinterpreted his mannerisms, and they are also hard to convey in print. So based on his dress alone, what do you think?

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Who knows. Maybe he was out doing something different that required old clothes, got hungry and went to Culvers. Perhaps he was doing a "jump out" detail. The van makes me think a surveillance detail. Training maybe? I I know I look like a hoodlum on K9 training days.
    One thing I do know is that he was not a Sheriff... a deputy maybe, but not the Sheriff.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You ARE in Missouri, right?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Administrator
    He could possibly have been a SHERIFF wannabe.
    Now if his shirt read:
    BAIL ENFORCEMENT AGENT
    I would say "Yeah...he definitely is a BEA."

If the shirt did indeed say Sheriff, he's in a ton of trouble for impersonating. Most likely by your description he's an old-timer working surveillance, waiting for his 20 years to beat his belly.

Administrator
    Maybe he was a character in a movie being filmed on location?

Actually, I don't think it's illegal just to walk around and wear a SHERIFF shirt if he was not a real Sheriff.

I believe that he would have to perform some sort of Police action in order to be charged with impersonating an officer.

But, don't take that to the bank.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Deputies here wear "Sheriff" on their shirts and vests, not "Deputy."

Here I've seen lots of plain clothes LEOs wearing cuffs in their pockets as such, hanging on their belts in a similar fashion, or one inside the pants, the other hanging over, including the Chief and Sheriff.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Our county wears shirts that say "Sheriff" also, but they are deputies. There is only one Sheriff in the county, and that's an elected position in Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    If the shirt did indeed say Sheriff, he's in a ton of trouble for impersonating.
    Unless there's a huge difference in that particular locality from anywhere I've ever been, he probably wouldn't be.

He'd only be in trouble for impersonating if he tried to assume the authority of a law enforcement officer in some material fashion. Wearing a shirt doesn't meet that test. Arresting someone, or trying to, would. Telling someone, "Don't mess with me; I'm a sheriff" would be on the borderline, but a good prosecutor would probably try to take that one up.

We had a meth addict running around in black 5.11s with a Ruger Redhawk, police radio scanner, and a nearly-perfect copy of our badge (available on the Internet as a "novelty"), telling his whole family and anyone he met he was an agent of my agency. We had a statement from an impound lot stating he'd flashed the badge in an attempt to get his car out, but even then, no one would prosecute. And despite a rap sheet 100' long, we had no actual felony convictions for him, so we couldn't get him on felon in posession charges for the gun, either.

DC Founder
    As AZHusker said, here in Arizona, and many other places I have seen, the word "Sheriff" on the back of a shirt, a bag, badge, etc generally means that they are a deputy. I'm not sure about other counties but expect that it is the same as it is here in our county. A "Sheriff" tshirt is generally considered to be a uniform shirt and would be very surprised to see the Sheriff wearing one. If you're not on duty or, as SIXTO said, training or something similar technically considered duty, you're going to be called on it, if caught.

Deputies here, whether regular, reserve or posse are required to adhere to strict uniform and grooming standards that don't in any way resemble your description. Possibly some rural counties don't follow standards as closely.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

They usually answer the phone "Sheriff's Department" so maybe that's why it says that instead of Deputy.

Administrator
    OK, a pet peeve side bar is needed;

A sheriff's deputy is not a "Sheriff" he is a deputy. He is not called sheriff, that title is reserved for the person who actually holds the elected office. His shirt reads "Sheriff" because he works for the sheriffs office, just like my shirt reads "Police" I am not refered to as a "police" unless you are 3 years old.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    OK, a pet peeve side bar is needed;

A sheriff's deputy is not a "Sheriff" he is a deputy.
    +1.

My brother always says "There were seven or eight sheriffs there." My reply: "The sheriff was in bed. There were seven or eight deputies there." It just won't go into his thick skull.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

'Round these parts, the whole force looks like that. Fu-man-chu and long hair too.

if you were in PA, i'd say you were looking at a constable, except for the t-shirt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links