Stopping For Unmarked Police Car

This is a discussion on Stopping For Unmarked Police Car within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; And there's another image I didn't need in my head... Haha - oh my yeah - the ''Bud favorite" - my sandals and socks!...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stopping For Unmarked Police Car

Assistant Administrator
    And there's another image I didn't need in my head...
    Haha - oh my yeah - the ''Bud favorite" - my sandals and socks!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Similar story:

Laguna Hills, CA area, there has been some people driving around in a car, not even resembling a police car. They have spotlights that they'll turn shine on cars to pull them over.

Unsuspecting women think it's a cop and they'll pull over. Then these perps kidnap the women, and we don't need to go into the rest. My wife's cousin pulled over for one of these cars, but got real suspicious. She was close enough to her house, that she just pulled away. If it was a cop, he'd have followed her to her house, where her family was. She'd been a little safer there if people were around. BUT, when she pulled away, the car just turned around and left.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Administrator

Thanks For That Addition Jarhead

These sickos have the law of averages going for them them.
    They can try to fool a multitude of females & all they need is one to bite on their ruse.

Been there, I was merging onto the highway when a police car lit me up. This was some what of a rural area and late night when this happend.
    Anyway, I knew that at the next exit I could exit off and turn into a Texaco truck stop. Well, I turned on my blinkers and dropped my speed down to 40 on a 65 MPh . Then I exited, rolled my driver side window down halfway and placed my hands on the wheel. Then, the officers came up guns drawn asking me for my registration. Well, I gave it to him and he began to ask me a thousand question. Then when he asked for my license I slipped him my Uncle Sam Green Card. Active Duty USAF.

When home on leave I would usually travel north to visit my now wife and head south back towards Georgia. Well the cops were nasty and unprofessional. The tone all changed when he found out my status. Apparently they were out for a night of harrasment and their story was that I looked liked some one they had a warrant for. Anyway, I appreciate the jobs that our leo's do, but I don't place them on any high seat. My suggestion is to always be safe and if you are a good guy act like one.

It is very sad to say but many leo's are indeed crooked, just recently in Charlotte they found many of them hiding out in an old abandoned post playing playstation and reading girly books. Well, I will go on the advice of an old retired cop I once knew, do the right thing, be safe and don't depend on the police to protect you.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Administrator
    Well, for every bad cop "out there" there are 100 good ones who are just going to work every day & doing their job by the book & for all the right reasons.
    Unfortunately...like everything else that makes the news...you only ever hear about the bad ones. Bad news is NEWS ~ Good News gets totally ignored.
    The same thing with folks that work for the government...a corrupt Govt. official snatches the headlines & 1,000 other Government workers just go to work & do their jobs every day & you never hear about them.

Well, BlueLion you were Active Duty USAF ~ How did you like it during the Vietnam era when all soldiers got "broad brush painted" as Baby Killers & Village Burners or (how about) "Torturers & Rapists" over in Iraq.?
    Another example would be the Police down in New Orleans...Yes, some abandoned their jobs & disappeared & the whole pile of others stayed & worked triple shifts to try to maintain Law & Order & save & rescue as many people as possible...even while thugs were sniping at them from the rooftops.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Several years ago when I lived in NY there were a rash of people impersonating LEO's. It got so bad the State Cops stopped using unmarked cars for traffic control.
    Their advice to people was that if you were flashed by a police car , turn on your hazard lights and drive, under the speed limit, to a well lit and populated area or a police station. Do not PULL OVER!!
    Sometimes it got kind of funny. Police station parking lots filled with speeders and their captors. And I mean filled.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Administrator

AirForceShooter

That is funny. Thanks for that addition.

BTW ~ I'm sure the police would rather have their lot filled with speeders & violators than hafta try to locate a missing person (dead or alive) that's been abducted by a phony cop.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I've driven unmarked cars most of my LE career. Several years ago I came up behind a pickup pulling a small flatbed trailer. On the trailer had been a John Deere lawn tractor. As I was behind it the tractor came loose and was being dragged behind the trailer by one of the tie down chains. I tried to stop the driver and he saw me but he kept going. I kept behind him because the mower was coming apart. After over 3 miles the guy finally pulled into a church parking lot where he mowed their lawn and then stopped. As I walked up to his truck he was screaming at me to prove that I was really a cop, even tho I was in full uniform. I told him I really didn't care if he thought I was a cop or not but his tractor was now a pile of junk. When he saw what was left of his John Deere he really became irrate. He said I should have forced him off the road in order to stop him and since I didn't my dept should pay for his tractor. I learned later from other LEOs that the guy was one of the blowhards who was always having run in with cops and was always quick to tell them just what he thought. All I was trying to do is help him out by getting him stopped before he tore up his equipment. He made his decision, he paid the price. I sincerely doubt he learned anything.

Administrator

Thumbs up Great Story ispcapt

That was great.
    Oh...I enjoyed reading that!

Assistant Administrator
    He said I should have forced him off the road in order to stop him and since I didn't my dept should pay for his tractor.
    Sheesh - gotta give him 10/10 for misplaced optimism! LOL.

''What goes around - comes around'' !
    Chris - P95

Quote Originally Posted by ispcapt
    I've driven unmarked cars most of my LE career. Several years ago I came up behind a pickup pulling a small flatbed trailer. On the trailer had been a John Deere lawn tractor. As I was behind it the tractor came loose and was being dragged behind the trailer by one of the tie down chains. I tried to stop the driver and he saw me but he kept going. I kept behind him because the mower was coming apart. After over 3 miles the guy finally pulled into a church parking lot where he mowed their lawn and then stopped. As I walked up to his truck he was screaming at me to prove that I was really a cop, even tho I was in full uniform. I told him I really didn't care if he thought I was a cop or not but his tractor was now a pile of junk. When he saw what was left of his John Deere he really became irrate. He said I should have forced him off the road in order to stop him and since I didn't my dept should pay for his tractor. I learned later from other LEOs that the guy was one of the blowhards who was always having run in with cops and was always quick to tell them just what he thought. All I was trying to do is help him out by getting him stopped before he tore up his equipment. He made his decision, he paid the price. I sincerely doubt he learned anything.

Thats Way to funny

I will go ahead and add my 2 cents worth.

In some states, like in Texas, it is not a defense to prosecution, that you thought someone might be an impersonator. If someone tries to stop you, and you continue, there had better be a 911 recording of you calling in to confirm the traffic stop. You are required to stop within a reasonable distance as soon as it's safe to do so when an emergency vehicle tries to stop you. And "safe" does not refer to being well lit with people around. It refers to stopping your car in an area where you are not in immediate danger of being struck by another car. Besides, at night, you can't tell whether the car is marked or not because of all the lights.

Also, where I live, there is a good chance that there isn't a marked unit available for a traffic stop. The marked cars are often on calls for service, and the unmarked units are the traffic units. Marked units often can't come off a call just to make an appearance at a traffic stop. If you continue driving, waiting for a marked unit, you might get one, but you won't like it. Odds are you will be asked out of the car by people with weapons pointed at you. Also, around here, driving all the way to a PD substation could be one heck of a journey, and long before you get there, you would have stopped at multiple redlights and been approached by an angry officer while stopped at one. And don't even think of trying to get to an SO substation, because you'll need to stop for gas before you get there. Another words, IT'S FAR!!!

That's why I recommend everyone know how to handle themselves on a traffic stop once they're stopped.

EVERYONE should know the uniform and badge of the departments in the areas they frequent. I can't stress this enough. If a plain clothes officers steps out of an unmarked car, it doesn't give anyone the right to leave because there is a chance that he/she might be an impersonator. But everyone does have the right to ask for identification before submitting themselves to the officers control. But even before then, when the officer is approaching, you should know whether or not he/she is with the PD/SO/Constable/State by the badge they wear. And you should know the style and colors of the uniforms and badges of all the local departments. I know that doesn't help when traveling, but you should know how to spot a local officer easily. If all of the local departments wear a tan uniform, and this person is wearing dark blue, that's a clue. If everyone wears a shield type badge, and this guy is wearing a 5 point star, that's another clue. Take the time to stop and look at the uniforms and badges of the officers in your area. It won't take but a couple of seconds. Walk up, introduce yourself and tell them what you're doing, and they'll have no problem letting you look at them so you can learn how to identify a real officer. Also, once they make contact, roll the window down a little, and then ask for a department issued identification. If they refuse to produce this, then leave. If they produce it, look it over, get the badge # off of it, and call in to confirm who they are.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

Assistant Administrator
    S.O. - I have zero problem with ''doing it right'' and I would wish to do so.

The whole ''gray zone'' however, is that short interval of time, during which you describe the check on uniform, badge ID generally. If the cop is genuine then fine - it should all go smooth as long as he/she is wanting to also assist in our reassurance. Oh and - let's think low light here too, as it could often be.

If however during that gray zone of time - the cop - isn't! It just could leave one open to an attack - certainly if an impersonator came up - trying their best to look ''official'' from a slight distance - then once they are close to you in your vehicle - is it not fair to say that things could get tricky - if intent was felonious?

I reckon it is this ''transition'' phase that gives cause for concern. It seems straightforward to you - your the cop and are used to doing it. Consider tho - no badge - you are regular Joe and you are the stop target - how would you deal with that short interval where - most of the time it would be a cop - but just possibly it may not be. Might you find yourself too late to take a defensive action, if, as you were to ask for credentials - instead you were looking at a gun barrel??

Not trying to be paranoid and I respect what you have to do - but - all is not always what it seems. Trying to cover all bases
    Chris - P95

Senior Moderator
    S.O. Interceptor brings up some good points.

The city slickers among us may think that its perfectly OK to ignore blue lights and drive to a well lit" safe" spot.

In my neck of the woods, the next well lit safe spot may be 40 miles away. You will have a hard time articulating to a judge why you thought it was OK to do that.

As for driving to the Sheriffs Office or the nearest police station...all you are gonna find there is a dark parking lot with maybe one or two cars in it. Chances are exellent that noone will be there.

Saying that you thought you were gonna get carjacked or raped aint gonna cut it.

Reading back on all of the posts, its interesting how some folks automaticaly assume that its OK to ignore a traffic stop on the presumption that it may not be legit.

If you do that, you had dang sure better know what you can and cant get away with. This is a big country with lots of different ways of doing things. What you may get away with in your home state may not fly somewhere else.

Down south, running from the LAW will usally result in an "automatic azz whoopin".

Be advised...

Administrator
    I know in my area...all night time traffic stops usually always bring a marked back~up (for the officer) as a matter of routine. Asking for a marked unit or gettng a cell phone verification is usually no problem.
    I'm positive that is not the case everywhere.
    I guess the routine sure is different in States where things are much more "Spread Out" ~ That's why us Damn Good For Nothing Yankees usually try to stay out of "them there" Confederate States.
    We don't wanna git no "serious ass whuppin"
    Seriously...HotGuns & S.O. Interceptor ~ Thanks for the additional info.
    It really helps to know how best to act when traveling by vehicle in other parts of the country.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links