Playing hardball

Playing hardball

This is a discussion on Playing hardball within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looks like they have modified the rules of engagement a bit! US warns they'll confront violence on the Texas, Mexico border 11:45 AM CDT on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Playing hardball

Looks like they have modified the rules of engagement a bit!

US warns they'll confront violence on the Texas, Mexico border

11:45 AM CDT on Friday, October 17, 2008

Associated Press

EDINBURG, Texas—Authorities in South Texas said Friday that they won’t be intimidated by increasingly violent drug smugglers, announcing a larger Border Patrol presence and that more heavily armed deputies will be authorized to return fire across the Mexican border.

Operation “River Freedom Denial” will target areas along the Rio Grande in the southern tip of Texas where violence has risen lately with more ground and air resources, said Border Patrol sector chief Ronald Vitiello.

Standing with a Texas Department of Public Safety captain and the Hidalgo County Sheriff, Vitiello cited an exchange of gunfire between his agents and drug smugglers Monday and another incident this week of a smuggler ramming an agent’s truck in making his escape.

Hidalgo County Sheriff Lupe Trevino said the deputies he will assign to the operation along the river will all be issued fully automatic rifles and authorized to return fire.

“We are not going to be intimidated by the increased aggression,” Trevino said.

He recalled an incident in 2006 when more than 300 shots were fired across the river at his deputies and Border Patrol agents. At that time he decided to pull his deputies back from the river for their safety.

Not this time.

“If fired upon we will respond in kind,” he said.

Tension along the border has increased this week with a shootout in downtown Matamoros, Mexico across the river from Brownsville, Thursday afternoon and shots fired at or near the U.S. Consulate in Monterrey, Mexico twice this week. In the first incident, a grenade was lobbed at the consulate that did not explode.

Vitiello and Trevino declined to offer more details about the operation, content with sending a message that law enforcement at all levels along the border is cooperating and will not tolerate violence.

Vitiello attributed the uptick in aggression in part to frustration of drug cartels who are facing a Border Patrol with more manpower and resources.

Cases of violence against Border Patrol agents in the Rio Grande Valley sector have increased for three consecutive years. This year there have been more than 130 incidents including assaults and people throwing rocks at agents, said Border Patrol spokesman Dan Doty.

Violence at this end of the Rio Grande pales in comparison to West Texas where more than 1,100 people have been killed in drug cartel violence this year in Juarez, Mexico, across the river from El Paso.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    If they were really serious they would bring in a few A-10 Thunderbolts. Those 30mm Gatling guns should give them all the fire power they need!!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    If they were really serious they would bring in a few A-10 Thunderbolts. Those 30mm Gatling guns should give them all the fire power they need!!
    And some cobras and some M1 tanks!

......And a measured number of angry Texan residents tired of living in the crossfire.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Rhetoric?
    They certainly talk the talk, but can they walk the walk?

Tell us a thousands time about what you're going to do.

Show us once and then we'll believe you...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It would be a step up if the "powers" simply stopped arresting those agents in the field who are attempting to get the job done. That'd be something.

The ROE should, IMO, be simple: coming in the front door is fine; but coming in the side window results in a free-fire elimination of the threat. In Texas, after all, invasion of the home at night is a clear and present danger. The day this happens is the day I'll believe the resolve is there. Not until then.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The ROE should, IMO, be simple: coming in the front door is fine; but coming in the side window results in a free-fire elimination of the threat. In Texas, after all, invasion of the home at night is a clear and present danger.

They really should just replace those security camera poles with mounted automate .30s and .50s
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    As the economy and illegal climate changes, so does the number of dollars going to Mexico from illegals. Tensions rise...especially on the Mexico side (why does one not see the same on the Canadian side?). The Mexico economy is drying up faster than a grape in Texas heat. Things will only get worse and expect tensions to boil.

Rick

no, if they were really serious this wouldnt be an issue. mine the line anywhere outside of the legal crossings, make it a free fire zone and place signage(in both languages) to such end. anyone dumb enough to cross gets whats coming.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I think this area could be a wonderful training ground for military snipers to get some practice in before deploying to the sand box. They could get practice on both recon work and marksmanship. Any fire coming in from Mexico is of course an attack on the United States. Anyone sneaking over the border is an insurgent. As long as they don't get into the physical apprehension of suspected illegal aliens, I wouldn't call it law enforcement work. Until the Border Patrol gets their numbers up I bet they could use the help.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Make and offer to retired military snipers and designated shooters to help controll the borders.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I see absolutely no reason why that desolate area cannot be used as one huge artillery/aerial bombardment range.

Why waste so much manpower when a carefully implemented land mine field would be a proactive deterent with direct feedback to the bad guys.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less." Robert E. Lee

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    I am certainly hopeful that the authorities will really ramp it up this time. Seems like the local LEO's in Texas and Arizona are tougher on illegals. I'm sure they get more static from local folks tired of being preyed upon by illegals and the scumbags that bring them and drugs across the border.

I have read, many years ago that the Border Patrol in the SW was always a tough bunch working in a dangerous place. Too bad the rules of engagement for the Feds is lacking in teeth.

I live in Edinburg,the area isn't as desolate as you think,the problem is anytime illegal or drug smugglers are caught they will do anything to flee and get back across the border endangering civilians and LEO,they will drive there vehicle into the Rio Grande river then swim across and flip off pursuing cops,or if the BP and cops are preventing them from crossing will take pot shots to try to intimidate them.Lupe Trevino the Sheriff ain't playing,if he says his deputys will return fire,I wouldn't wanta be the test case.All I can say it's about time but I kinda like the sniper idea 1 shot 1 kill
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links