Looking to join the Law Enforcement team. - Page 2

Looking to join the Law Enforcement team.

This is a discussion on Looking to join the Law Enforcement team. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by semperfi.45 I worked a K-9 and I can tell you that it all boils down to your rhythm with a dog, not ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking to join the Law Enforcement team.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    I worked a K-9 and I can tell you that it all boils down to your rhythm with a dog, not your experience. You either have it or not. Dogs are easy to train, handlers are tougher. If you really want K-9 (it's the best job in LEO) re-up and become a handler and then recruit into the department and hope for the best. A lot of the time, seniority is a factor in the K-9 handler selection process

Wherever it leads you, good luck.

K-9 is why I only interviewed with my current agency. I want to work K-9 and only my agency has it in the immediate area where I live. And seniority was the reason I didnt get selected recently for an open K-9 slot. The guy who did get it had about ten years of seniority on me. And from what I heard and learned, most of the time, it is the handler being trained more than the dog. OMO.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Keep at it. When most find out all that the job entails they bow out.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    FYI - LAPD info for military personnel

56,000 - 75,000 starting pay.
    How can the starting pay range that great...and the cost of living in the area??

I think one is generally looking at the 30-45K range for startn in most metro areas...except LA.

Rick

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Tuff call generally to stay or get out. But it seems, especially with the economy roller coaster, many wish they had stayed in and had the chance to draw a retirement check at 38 with medical benefits...to provide some level of topcover if furloughed etc. Personally, if you like what you do...then I would play both ends...do the best at your current job while expressing interest in various locations. If they really want you, they will let you know. But don't slack off...your military performance reports come into play, so I wouldn't advertise a desire to leave. Generally, LEO departments are hurting too with the economy...so bird in hand etc etc...

Rick

Keep at it. When most find out all that the job entails they bow out.
    I plan to. During the most recent selection process, I did get annoyed because not everyone trying out experienced the same tryout. Some people experienced a less intense tryout than myself and one other person experienced. We had a "tryout" where 9 dogs bit us twice, for a total of 18 bites with a "philly" wrap.I had bruises and swelling for almost 3 weeks. As far as I know, no one else got more than 6 bites.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

You have to prove your manliness in the selection process. Sounds like a very old school and macho K-9 unit. IMO unacceptable.

If you're selected initiations are a different story...
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links