Military conceal carry

Military conceal carry

This is a discussion on Military conceal carry within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am a legal resident of Florida with a Florida conceal weapon license, however; I am a military member station in Georgia. Can I conceal ...

Military conceal carry

I am a legal resident of Florida with a Florida conceal weapon license, however; I am a military member station in Georgia. Can I conceal carry in SC if my Florida driver license has my Georgia address?

Administrator
    I'm pretty darn sure you can.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Your drivers license along with your military ID, and your should be fine having a Georgia duty station address

Just curious, but why would your FL driver's license have a GA address on it...
    Wouldn't FL require your DL to have a FL address. Now your FL CCW permit could have a GA address, but I believe that you could also keep your FL address on your CCW permit also.

I'm sure you're OK either way, but I'd keep everything with a FL home address.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Florida law 790.06(8) requires you to notify the Division of Licensing in writing within 30 days after your address changes. Florida driver license requires that you update your address information on your drivers license within ten days of moving

Administrator
    Florida is about on of the only states that will issue a D/L without you actually living in Fl. It is very common for military guys to claim FL as their home state (no income tax). Many snowbirds here have Fl D/L's as well, even though the are Ohio residents.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Hiltop View Post
    Florida law 790.06(8) requires you to notify the Division of Licensing in writing within 30 days after your address changes. Florida driver license requires that you update your address information on your drivers license within ten days of moving
    I was under the impression that this would be different for someone in the military and still claiming FL as his 'real' home.
    No?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Florida is about on of the only states that will issue a D/L without you actually living in Fl. It is very common for military guys to claim FL as their home state (no income tax). Many snowbirds here have Fl D/L's as well, even though the are Ohio residents.

I'll be darned. I spent nearly 15 years on active duty claiming FL residency for tax purposes, and have actually lived in FL ever since leaving active duty 15 years ago and I never knew that.

I always maintained a local DL with my actual address. Interesting.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

There is no exceptions regarding address change for military members.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I was under the impression that this would be different for someone in the military and still claiming FL as his 'real' home.
    No?
    This is very common for military members. I'm AD and live right on the GA/FL border. It's so common here nobody even lifts an eyebrow. The laws AND having a military base here makes this well known by everybody.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I believe the reason for having current address is that if they send out any paperwork regarding your license IE. suspension etc. they send it to listed address if it's not current you may be driving on a suspended license and not know it.Some ins companys notify the state when you cancel and if you don't respond to inquiry with new ins. info they suspend.Most states will arrest you and book you into jail for driving suspended
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Just curious, but why would your FL driver's license have a GA address on it...
    Wouldn't FL require your DL to have a FL address.
    Because he's active duty!

I had my PA drivers permit with many different out of state addresses until I retired. Active duty personnel can keep their "home" state permits, but usually have their local address so that they can be notified when the permit needs renewal. Don't know if it's still the same, but my PA permit also stated "No Picture Required" since I renewed through the mail.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Links