Gave an Attaboy to a soldier today

This is a discussion on Gave an Attaboy to a soldier today within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A knock at the door. It was one of my son's friends. He is in the army. Me: Where are you stationed now? Matt: Iraq ...

Thread: Gave an Attaboy to a soldier today

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

A knock at the door. It was one of my son's friends. He is in the army.

Me: Where are you stationed now?

Matt: Iraq

Me: What are you doing there?

Matt: Keeping the troops safe.

Me: You still a sniper?

Matt: Yes.

Me: Well, I appreciate the job you are doing. Keep it up.

Matt (literally trying to hold back being choked up): Thank you.

Me: You don't hear that a lot, do you?

Matt: No, I don't.

Me: Especially in Portland.

Me: Well, I appreciate all you are doing. Stay safe.

Matt: Thank you.

And off he went. He is returning to Iraq on the 11th to continue helping keep our troops safe.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

its funny how most kids my age biggest worry is about school or if girl/boy likes them, when these kids, kids we went to school with are over there risking it all every day. Makes you happy that the ******** you deal with on a daily basis isn't IEDs and AKs.

I hope he and the others continue to keep Al Quaeda on their heels over there,to keep them from attacking us here and that they remain safe
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Never forget to thank a service member whenever possible, and welcome them home. That didn't happen when I came back, and it screwed a bunch of loyal veterans up!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    A knock at the door. It was one of my son's friends. He is in the army.

Me: Where are you stationed now?

Matt: Iraq

Me: What are you doing there?

Matt: Keeping the troops safe.

Me: You still a sniper?

Matt: Yes.

Me: Well, I appreciate the job you are doing. Keep it up.

Matt (literally trying to hold back being choked up): Thank you.

Me: You don't hear that a lot, do you?

Me: Especially in Portland.

Me: Well, I appreciate all you are doing. Stay safe.

Matt: Thank you.

And off he went. He is returning to Iraq on the 11th to continue helping keep our troops safe.

You see him agian before he leave tell him thanks from me and mine and a big ole HOOAH..
    The 6 P's
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

No man who refuses to bear arms in defense of his nation can give a sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" T. Roosevelt

Exactlymypoint...well done!

I try to acknowledge any soldier I see out in public...a handshake and a "Thank You" can go a long way...

On occasion I have also picked up a food tab for a soldier sitting in a restaurant...they've earned it.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner69 View Post
    You see him agian before he leave tell him thanks from me and mine and a big ole HOOAH..
    Same here, HOOAH!!!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

As a veteran, I can tell you whenever I recall the two times strangers took a moment to give a heartfelt "thank you" to me when I still wore the uniform, my eyes well up.

It means so much more than you can imagine - unless you've experienced it.

Thank you to all of you who make the effort to show your appreciation!

Quote Originally Posted by Banzai Jimmy View Post
    As a veteran, I can tell you whenever I recall the two times strangers took a moment to give a heartfelt "thank you" to me when I still wore the uniform, my eyes well up.

It means so much more than you can imagine - unless you've experienced it.

Thank you to all of you who make the effort to show your appreciation!
    I hear you. I'm the same way. I've had to stop by the store on the way home a few times and had a few people come up to me and say "Thanks for your service" and shook my hand. The first time it happened to me, my eyes teared up and almost couldn't say thank you loud or quick enough. I stood shocked for a moment and then a huge smile came over me. My wife was there too and she couldn't believe it either. To those who support us, we thank you for your support.

To the OP, please tell the Soldier if you see him to stay safe and thanks. And to everyone who supports us and sees a military member around, please take the time to thank him/her.

G19, G23, P2000 (9mm), LMT Defender 2000 (SOPMOD), Colt LE6920, Ruger 10/22

Quote Originally Posted by Shotdown View Post
    I hear you. I'm the same way. I've had to stop by the store on the way home a few times and had a few people come up to me and say "Thanks for your service" and shook my hand. The first time it happened to me, my eyes teared up and almost couldn't say thank you loud or quick enough. I stood shocked for a moment and then a huge smile came over me. My wife was there too and she couldn't believe it either. To those who support us, we thank you for your support.
    I wore the uniform for 16 years - here are my two stories:

The first person was in a junkyard in CO, where I was stationed for the last year of 10 years of active duty service. This older-than-me, and rough around the edges, man needed help getting a part off an old truck (he clearly had a disability) and while I was helping him, he asked what I did for a living. I told him and he immediately stopped what he was doing, stood up as straight as he could, and extended his hand. He shook my hand and thanked me (obviously from the bottom of his heart) for my service. He explained that he had tried to join, but his disability prevented his service which would have been in Vietnam.

The second time was while I was activated in the Reserves, as a result of 9/11, when stationed in MD. I was in uniform heading into the grocery store when a woman's shopping cart began to roll away from her vehicle while she was busy working inside the car. As the cart moved into the lane where traffic flowed, I grabbed it and rolled it back over just as the woman noticed it was gone. She was thankful to see someone had brought the cart back to her, but when she looked at me and saw my uniform, she looked me in the eye and asked that God bless me for my service to our country and shook my hand.

It doesn't sound like much but it meant millions.

I was in line at a check out counter (out of state) and there was a female in line a few people up from me wearing fatigues. People were giving her dirty looks, bumping & kind of pushing her, really being nasty towards her (at least I thought). She had her head down, seemed to just want to get out of there, and discouraged by it all. Sooooo..... I could not stand by and watch this anymore.

I (loud enough that everyone around us could hear) began asking her what service she was in, how long, what her specialty was, etc..... and then very loudly "thanked her" for her service to the country and all of us, and willing to help protect the freedoms we have and too often take for granted. I also told her about being in China and how after spending some time there, we should never take them for granted. She stated "I ONLY work on computers".... and I had to say ... "it's all necessary, and don't under-estimate what part you play in it all .... we are thankful that you are doing it".

Mission accomplished : others began thanking her, and she walked out with head high, smile on her face, an air of confidence, and ... pride in her step.

Oh... she was all of 18 yrs old.

i ALWAYS try and thank any one i get the chance to, current or retired.

i was in line to buy tickets to the fair last week and me and the guy infront of me started talking. he said he was in vietnam and didnt get thanx back then. i told him as i shook his hand "i thank you for your service, i appreciate everything you have done for our country"......with a tear in his eyes he said thank you and walked out. the cashier just looked at me and said "its nice to see young poeple have a since of pride and respect for their country and those who serve it, my husband is military"

my only regret is not joining!
    Last edited by Bumper; November 6th, 2008 at 03:56 PM. Reason: politics removed
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
    Ted Nugent

Sponsored Links