Hell in a can!

Hell in a can!

This is a discussion on Hell in a can! within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, today was O.C. day for my Reserve Officers class. Oh man does that make you think about what you've gotten yourself into. Early part ...

Thread: Hell in a can!

Hell in a can!

Well, today was O.C. day for my Reserve Officers class.

Oh man does that make you think about what you've gotten yourself into.

Early part if the day we had classroom instruction, you know...

What the spray is, where it came from, why they use it.

Then of course the always mandatory Use of Force talk. Some great stories from the instructor, then the test.

All of that was easy enough.

Lunch break had alot of them wondering what to expect, arguing about who gets to go first, discussion from the Marines that have been sprayed before, but of course they didn't have any pics or videos, so they had to do it with the department anyway.

We ALL will have pics soon!! The department requires a pic of the spray/fog/stream in progress, and a shot with it on your face before decon.

Simple enough, stand there, pick whether you wanted stream or fog, then hold breath and close eyes. Countdown from 3 to 1, then splat! Yea, not as hard as some of the training I have seen videos of, or heard about. Combat course, running, SCHP doesn't allow decon, you have to wait it out, etc...

Had to give verbal commands while throwing blows/jabs/good defensive shots to the bag. Then the instructor would allow decon to start. Water/alcohol/Dawn mixture was sprayed as fast as they could squirt the bottles, then blot, repeat. When the instructor thought we had enough of the OC rinsed, we were walked/assisted over to the benches, water hoses, and Dawn. At that point we controlled the hose for as long as we needed it.

I went about half way through the 14 class members. Saw different ways to decon.

Closed my eyes, held my breath, 3.....2......1 Stream, right across the eyelids! Not bad, little burn, felt the bag, smacked the heck out of it and yelled my commands. Luckily I got in some good palm shots. Only about 10 seconds of strikes. Bent over and they started spraying my face down......
    I was all good until they handed me the paper towels to blot with... THEN it BURNED LIKE HELL! After being assisted to the bench and hose, I never in my life thought putting Dawn dish soap into my eyes was going to feel even remotely good, but it did!

I took the hose and rinsed my face, letting the cold water just run across it. My eyes were on fire!, I attempted to open them, but that wasn't gonna happen. So I took time holding them open with my fingers. Man did that suck. I asked for a handful of Dawn, and wiped it into my open eyes, one at a time, and couldn't believe it actually helped take the pain down. It wasn't gone, but it surely felt better.

I sat there for about 5-6 mins just looking down that stream of water for the other end of that 50 footer. I never found it, but my eyes started feeling better. I got up and went over to the fans, and stood for about 30 seconds, but I felt so good I just walked away and watched the others decon.

The only long lasting effect I had was my left earlobe. It stayed on fire for about 30-45 minutes. I washed it with Dawn, and held a cold water bottle against it, the pain finally decreased.

Quick debrief, and we were sent home. Thank goodness that is over!

Yea, I have already taken my COLD shower. Yes, I was VERY careful!

In about 2 weeks we get to do our firearms class and qualifications.

10 more classes, and the final test at the Academy! The really hard stuff!!
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

I sure hope they don't do to you in the firearms class the way they teach in the O.C. class

Congrats for making it through, I remember NBC training in the Army and it was, um, fun in a twisted sort of way. Of course then my squad was called in and the funs stopped for a while
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

try getting a shot of 20% OC in the eyes while being held open! Now that is HELL ON EARTH! you must be in the Air Force! lol
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay as soft as we are now. There won't
    be any AMERICA left because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
    women and breed a hardier race!"
    -Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

I thought you were referring to some of that habanero sauce they got in mexico
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Ovrmydeadbdy View Post
    try getting a shot of 20% OC in the eyes while being held open! Now that is HELL ON EARTH! you must be in the Air Force! lol
    You know what the public response would be to a can of 20%? Lawsuit city!!

This was bad enough, and I don't plan to have a 2nd trip.

I heard the stories from some of the Marines about the 20% and then having to strike 5 targets, before decon began.

BTW, it's Reserve Police Officer training. Civilian
    Sean
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

I quit carrying OC years ago. When I did carry it, it was just to deter dogs.

The stuff my agency issued was apparently sub-par. When I got it in the face I was not impressed.
    A 9mm is only a .45 set on "stun".

Ken

I took a Bail Enforcement Class and got my Certs for OC got sprayed NOT FUN!!. Not looking foward to next spraying.

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    Yea, I have already taken my COLD shower. Yes, I was VERY careful!

It was the after-shower that was the worst part of my quals

Good Luck!!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Exclamation Don't touch!

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    I remember NBC training in the Army and it was, um, fun in a twisted sort of way. Of course then my squad was called in and the funs stopped for a while
    I used to run the gas chambers when I was in the army. I was the company NBC Officer, so they sent me off to the school on TDY.

Used to take one of those GP small tents and batten down the sides and put a small table and a chair for me to sit in all MOPP 4 geared up. I'd light a couple of those CS tablets and let the stuff fill the tent before we'd call the troops in. They had to unmask and say a set phrase designed to make them deplete the last gasp of clean air they grabbed before removing the gas mask (Old M117 series). Then I'd ask one more little question so they HAD to take a small breath of the gas for full effect.

The best way to decon and the fastest way is just to step into a strong breeze and do nothing else. The particles just blow away. If there's no breeze, set up a big FAN. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES touch, rub or BLOT the affected areas! Makes it a thousand times worse, instantly. Surprised you weren't warned of this.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

We were TOLD to BLOT.
    Sean

Wink lol

Quote Originally Posted by XD in SC View Post
    We were TOLD to BLOT.
    LOL. So did it work? No? They told you wrong. Trauma teaches. Now you know.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier View Post
    I used to run the gas chambers when I was in the army. I was the company NBC Officer, so they sent me off to the school on TDY.

Used to take one of those GP small tents and batten down the sides and put a small table and a chair for me to sit in all MOPP 4 geared up. I'd light a couple of those CS tablets and let the stuff fill the tent before we'd call the troops in. They had to unmask and say a set phrase designed to make them deplete the last gasp of clean air they grabbed before removing the gas mask (Old M117 series). Then I'd ask one more little question so they HAD to take a small breath of the gas for full effect.

The best way to decon and the fastest way is just to step into a strong breeze and do nothing else. The particles just blow away. If there's no breeze, set up a big FAN. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES touch, rub or BLOT the affected areas! Makes it a thousand times worse, instantly. Surprised you weren't warned of this.
    Decon for CS is not the same as decon for OC. Good OC makes CS seem like Brut after-shave. While CS is particles, OC is oil. The best decon for OC is cool water and Dawn soap. Although, if it's good OC (like Fox Labs), nothing is going to do much good. It just has to wear off.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Metro 40 View Post
    Decon for CS is not the same as decon for OC. Good OC makes CS seem like Brut after-shave. While CS is particles, OC is oil. The best decon for OC is cool water and Dawn soap. Although, if it's good OC (like Fox Labs), nothing is going to do much good. It just has to wear off.
    Oooooooh! Good Point! Hey I've only been out of the game since ummmm 1994. That's for the reserves. 1984 since I left active duty.

I'm pretty sure you were told to "blot" so you would experience what would happen to the average BG when they did, and they will.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links