Normal traffic stop behavior?

This is a discussion on Normal traffic stop behavior? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This doesn't really have to do with CC so sorry if you have to move it MOD's. I was pulled over tonight by a Mass ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This doesn't really have to do with CC so sorry if you have to move it MOD's.

I was pulled over tonight by a Mass State LEO. I've been pulled over my fair share of times, but never witnessed an officer this shall I say "moody". I understand that if I'm getting pulled over I'm suspected to have committed some kind of crime most likely, so I don' exactly expect the officers to be in the greatest moods, but this one just left all courtesy at home tonight! Note I was in MA and was not carrying. Any time I use caps in the duologue means the officer is yelling and or talking loudly.

Lights came on, pulled over, turned on int. light, rolled down windows 1/3, put hands on wheel, waited.

Officer- MASS STATE POLICE, GIVE ME YOUR license and registration.

Me- Yes maim, my license is in my back pocket and I will be reaching into my center console to get my reg for you.

Me (while retrieving license and reg)- Is there a reason why you stopped me maim?

Officer- GIVE ME YOUR LICENSE AND REGISTRATION.......NOW

Me- Handed her the paperwork.

Officer- Looks at license and reg, starts walking back to her cruiser without saying anything.

Me out window- excuse me officer why was I pulled over?

Officer (while still walking back to cruiser)- YOU WERE GOING 72 IN A 65!

Me- Waited for 11 minutes

This is the best (worst) part. The officer stuck her hand into my window, DROPPED my license registration, and fresh ticket, into my lap, while saying "IT'S A CITATION YOU HAVE 20 DAYS".

Then just WALKED AWAY WITHOUT A WORD!

Sorry if I sound too surprised, I've just never encountered this attitude from an officer before. I'm always VERY sincere when talking to them whether its when I'm pulled over and in the wrong or just talking to them at the range or off duty. Every time except for this one the worst encounter I had was an officer who yelled instead of talked, but he STILL at the end said the usual traffic stop ending "Please drive safely and have a nice day, sir" to me. This time was no different I addressed her as maim and had hands on wheel and did everything "by the book". My tone was the normal non aggressive tone. I can accept that people can just have bad days, but it just made my view of the MSP a little tacky now and don't expect that from LEO.

So I guess I'm going to ask all of you LEO's and civ's that get pulled over by them, ever experience this kind of rudeness? I would expect this maybe if I had committed a serious crime and was being taken into custody or did something to personally insult the officer, but this was just a MPH over ticket.
    "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

VIP Member
    Nope. My traffic stops and LEO interaction in general have been at the minimum polite. Maybe this trooper was having a bad day. The worst interaction I have had was with a LEO who had just finished working a fatal scooter accident involving a minor. He was obviously in a bad mood (body language etc) as he charged me with anything he could think of, however he was polite about it.

You may want to contact the MA SP and ask for a supervisor for this trooper and advise them of the attitude encountered. I'm sure like any professional organization they have a process for handling such things. All of the necessary info should be on the ticket.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I have no explanation for the attitude of the trooper that you dealt with. I was wondering why you put your window down only 1/3 of the way? I'm polite to everyone I stop, but I get a little annoyed when someone cracks the window or doesn't put it, at least, nearly all the way down. It's seems like your bothering me officer and I don't trust you enough to put my window all the way down for you. I like to see what is going on in the vehicle (mostly applys to tint).

I'm not saying that this is what caused her attitude. I was just wondering why you wouldn't put your window down all the way?
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

So you didn't have to sign the citation?
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

VIP Member
    There just has to be more to the story on the LEO's side that we just won't ever know.While the officer in this scene may have been a little rude...hey... these folks are human too,maybe just a bad day and you were the catchers mitt.......my .02 cents

Administrator
    No, that's not normal traffic stop behavior. If that's the entire story, the LEO here needs some adjustment. I agree on the window thing that NY27 pointed out as well as some other things I picked up on on your end that I would change from reading your story. I'm unwilling to go into that part any deeper because people seem to not be able to handle that type of constructive criticism.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I have no idea how many times I have been pulled over. When I was young and crazy (still crazy) I got 36 tickets for speeding in one year, and two of them were for doing over 120mph. Those were the good old days when you didn't have to go to jail for that kind of stuff! Having said that I suppose that what I am trying to say is, it takes all kinds. I have seen officers with a great attitude, and more than a few with bad attitudes. I just take it all as part of life, and I make the decision to have a happy day anyway!
    Y'all be safe now, ya hear!

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
    Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    If I get pulled over I roll my window all the way down, unless it is pouring down rain. If it is cold or just a light rain I will roll it up when the LEO goes back to write up the ticket and roll it back down when they head back to my vehicle.

As to her attitude many things could contribute to it. Family problems, bad stop just before yours, financial worries, PMS, the list can go on and on. Just chalk it up as she was having a bad day and move on.

I'm surprised she didn't have you sign the ticket. I know it isn't required to be signed, at least not in Virginia, but is acknowledgment of receiving the summons. In VA if you decline to sign , the LEO marks on it you refused to sign and gives you your copy, then goes on their way. Of course I'm sure when you go before the judge the LEO will let him know you were uncooperative.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    If this female officer was of small stature, she might have been trying to show that she was in charge. This is pretty common of small officers. I'm also surprised that you weren't required to sign the citation. In NM if someone refuses to sign, we book 'em.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    If this female officer was of small stature, she might have been trying to show that she was in charge. This is pretty common of small officers. I'm also surprised that you weren't required to sign the citation. In NM if someone refuses to sign, we book 'em.
    Yup, girls get the little man syndrome too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Check the problems and the attitude at the door ! Very unprofessional !Authority welded seldom gains the most respect !

Aside the introduction, a lot of Officer's (myself included) like to have you hand over your documents before any conversation is started. It establishes control of the traffic stop and shows that the officer is in charge. There is a professional way to go about it though.

Albeit,I don't think that was the case in this incident. That napoleon complex is probably her norm.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    If I get pulled over I roll my window all the way down, unless it is pouring down rain. If it is cold or just a light rain I will roll it up when the LEO goes back to write up the ticket and roll it back down when they head back to my vehicle.

As to her attitude many things could contribute to it. Family problems, bad stop just before yours, financial worries, PMS, the list can go on and on. Just chalk it up as she was having a bad day and move on.

I'm surprised she didn't have you sign the ticket. I know it isn't required to be signed, at least not in Virginia, but is acknowledgment of receiving the summons. In VA if you decline to sign , the LEO marks on it you refused to sign and gives you your copy, then goes on their way. Of course I'm sure when you go before the judge the LEO will let him know you were uncooperative.
    I think it depends on the locality in VA. I know I've had officers give me the line about signing it is not an admission of guilt, but that if I didn't sign it, graybar motel was the next option... and that was for a 10mph over speeding ticket. I also found this on the va dmv site:
    Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles
    If you are stopped by a police officer...

* Pull off to the right side of the roadway. Position your vehicle as far away from traffic as possible.
    * Turn on your flashers.
    * Turn off your engine, radio and any other device that could hinder communication with the officer.
    * Roll down your window so that you can communicate with the officer.
    * Remain calm.
    * Keep your safety belt fastened and ask your passengers to keep their belts fastened.
    * Stay in your vehicle. Do not get out unless the officer asks you to.
    * Keep your hands in plain view, preferrably on the steering wheel. Ask your passengers to keep their hands in plain view also.
    * Do not make any movement that will make the officer think you are hiding or reaching for something.
    * Carry proper identification: a valid driverís license, proof of vehicle registration and proof of insurance. If the officer asks for these documents, tell him or her where they are and reach for them slowly, keeping one hand on the steering wheel.
    * If the officer is driving an unmarked car or is not in uniform, ask to see his or her identification.
    * Answer the officerís questions fully and clearly. If you donít understand something, ask the officer questions calmly and politely.
    * If the officer issues you a citation, do not argue with the officer about the citation. You will have your chance to make your case when you go to court.
    * You will be asked to sign the citation. This is not an admission of guilt. Refusal to sign the citation, however, may result in your arrest. Or, you may be required to go to the station to post collateral and pay for the offense.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    No, that's not normal traffic stop behavior. If that's the entire story, the LEO here needs some adjustment. I agree on the window thing that NY27 pointed out as well as some other things I picked up on on your end that I would change from reading your story. I'm unwilling to go into that part any deeper because people seem to not be able to handle that type of constructive criticism.
    Ever since I've been a member I've always respected your posts Sixto! And I'm never a poor sport about things like that so anytime you need I should know something feel free to let me know.

I should have mentioned as I was handing her my paperwork I did roll the window down all the way. Ever since there was a rash of fake police traffic stops I've always heard to never roll your window down completely until you see a uniform or credentials. I know there's always two sides to a story and don't take this post as me complaining about what happened, I'm more just posting it to see how normal it is to encounter. I can understand if she had a bad day/bad stops prior/bad personal problems so I'm not complaining at all. It just seemed odd to find an officer that rude, especially dropping my paperwork in my lap and the total lack of communication.

As for signing the ticket, I've had to sign every ticket I've gotta in CT and RI, but I've gotten this and one other in MA and didn't have to sign them at the time of issuance. Not sure why. I do have 20 days to sign this one either G or NG and mail it in. That's another thing, I don't think it's required but every time I've gotten a ticket I got instructions from the officer on what my options were with it, this was one just dropped in my lap and I got "it's a citation you have 20 days".
    "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yup, girls get the little man syndrome too.
    Mix LMS with PMS...ouch!

She must have stopped you on a BAD day...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links