Police "ride-along"

Police "ride-along"

This is a discussion on Police "ride-along" within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I plan on doing a police ride along for a project of mine for school. My class is titled "Substance abuse in society" and focuses ...

Police "ride-along"

I plan on doing a police ride along for a project of mine for school. My class is titled "Substance abuse in society" and focuses on the drugs our society abuses and their impact on our society. Since we have a project due at the end of class I was wanting to see/experience the Law enforcement officers' perspective as they work on the other side of things. I live in Charlottesville and thought it might be a good idea to do a ride-along on the weekend when my fellow college students will be more likely to be drinking heavily and using "substances."

I know there are a fair amount of current and retired LEOs that peruse the site here and was wanting to get your opinions and suggestions for making my ride-along a good and educational experience.

A few subjects I thought about asking my LEO are their opinions on changing the drinking age (will it change anything), their opinions on marijuana use (what serious negatives they have experienced since the college environment sees very little wrong with its use) and other questions that will help me see the other side of the coin since few people get to see this side of our society's drug culture.

Do you guys have any good stories, good ideas for questions or other related experience etc. on the subject? I'm still in the planning stages and I'm rather excited to talk to my officer and see a little bit of his/her day when alcohol and other substances are being abused (not to say I don't enjoy drinking here and there).

All insight and comments will be greatly appreciated!

I wish you good luck and stay safe! I had a friend who did a ride along in the city of Newburgh, N.Y. He absolutely loved it! He seriously considering getting into LE now. He also did for a project for one of his college classes. He thought it was hilarious when a lot of the junkies/gang members thought that he was a detective and would ask the officers "What did I do now, why you bringing a detective around here?"LOL (He was in plain clothes w/ a vest)

I don't envy LEO's dealing with the scum of the earth all day long. However, they chose that profession for a variety of reasons, not all noble, so I hold them to a higher standard. When I meet a LEO who treats me with respect and a smile, it makes my day, and I tell him so. It's rare.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Check your PM.

Newburgh.............Very near my old stomping grounds of Poughkeepsie!
    S&W M&P 9MM
    Keltec PF9

Quote Originally Posted by jbone View Post
    (He was in plain clothes w/ a vest)
    A bullet resistant vest? And here I just got to sign a waiver for my ride-along.

If you want to see your fellow students acting really goofy, ride along with CPD and hope you make your way down to the corner.

Riding with ACPD is interesting, but there will be less student interaction, if that is what you are looking for.

I worked for ACPD for six years before I made my way back to NC, riding with either department would be a good experience, just depends on what you want to see.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Ride alongs can be a great time, especially if you have a good officer to go with. Good chance to learn a lot of things.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    Try to find out when the busy times are. Mine is almost Thursday nights. As buckeye can tell you, its hit or miss. Sometimes its crazy busy and super fun, other times in painfully slow. You almost have to ride a few times if you really want to get a good idea what its really like. This also will get the LEO to trust you a bit and open up to some of the "secrets" of police work.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yeah, Monday nights, not so busy, but since you are goin on a weekend around a college you should be pretty busy. Seemed the cops were always busting up parties I was at.

Make sure you follow the rules the cop lays down for ya too, in order to reduce headaches for the officer. And if ya have questions on something ask.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by only 9mm View Post
    Newburgh.............Very near my old stomping grounds of Poughkeepsie!
    Thats where I live! Where in po-town are you from?

"A bullet resistant vest? And here I just got to sign a waiver for my ride-along. "

Yes it was a bullet resistant vest.

(Edit: Sorry didnt mean to hi-jack thread!)

Links