Unloading Question

Unloading Question

This is a discussion on Unloading Question within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There have been many threads on LEO disarming people during stops. I know at least in Arizona it's the law, and at least in Phoenix ...

Thread: Unloading Question

Unloading Question

There have been many threads on LEO disarming people during stops. I know at least in Arizona it's the law, and at least in Phoenix I've been told it's policy for Phoenix PD to disarm everyone who carries, permit or not they will take your firearm. My question is, what is the policy on actually unloading the firearm.

Can you explain the reasoning behind unloading someones gun? That is if there is a reason, or is it just policy or habit?

Since the officer is already in control of the firearm, what point is there in unloading it? Especially if you're not completely sure exactly how it works. To me this seems like an unnecessary risk to the officer as well as the person stopped. There's much less chance of an ND if the firearm is not fumbled with, doesn't that make sense?

You're going to give it and the cartridges back to the person before you leave. Even if you unload the firearm and empty the magazine it can still be loaded quickly, I carry extra magazines and can reload relatively quickly.

Thanks

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Administrator
    Well, its like this;

If I'm going ot take your gun away from you, its for both of our safety. It would make sense to go through the hassle of disarming, only to hand back a loaded gun, giving a "unknown" person the ablilty to shoot me accidental or not. I've been taught never to hand a loaded gun to another person, and I'm certainly not going to do so with a person who I have clue about their level of pistol craft.

Now, if it was a gun that I couldnt unload for whatever reason, I'd have to come up with another plan. I'd probably leave it in your vehicle to give all as much seperation as possible.

With all that said, as a LEO, I'm not a fan of disarming people in most circumstances.
    "Just blame Sixto"

How about just putting it in the trunk without taking it apart?
    Then the officer can safely drive away and the permit holding, law-abiding citizen wouldn't be able to get a shot off...

Sheeeesh...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Now, if it was a gun that I couldnt unload for whatever reason, I'd have to come up with another plan. I'd probably leave it in your vehicle to give all as much seperation as possible.
    That makes sense.

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Links