Watch those corners...eh, make that mirrors

This is a discussion on Watch those corners...eh, make that mirrors within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Article I found while browsing...something to think about for those who have mirrors around the house. If this were a civilian and not an LEO ...

Thread: Watch those corners...eh, make that mirrors

Watch those corners...eh, make that mirrors

Article I found while browsing...something to think about for those who have mirrors around the house. If this were a civilian and not an LEO I bet his/her permit would be revoked asap.

Pittsburgh detective fires at mirror reflection -- themorningcall.com
    "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

2. Remove Ads

BAC
    Bruised ego, but at least nobody got hurt. That'd take anyone down a peg.

-B

Full length or wall mirror?

Didn't he have a flashlight?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm guessing if he had a flashlight he did as training and shined it in the "BG's" face...effectivly blinding himself and then, thinking the BG just used a police tactic against him, fired. If he DIDN'T have a flashlight....well what kind of person wouldn't??

Senior Moderator
    I can understand that escpecially since the Detective was on "hot standby".

Years ago we got my youngest son a life sized cardboard of Troy Aikman, at that time the Dallas Cowboys quarterback.

I walked into his room in the dark and saw this figure standing there and without even thinking I punched it right in the face.

Heart rate, blood pressure,even breathing went through the roof. I knew as soon as I popped it that it was carboard and realized my mistake, but even so it took me awhile to settle down. Talk about a wake up call. That one got me.

The kid woke up the next day and wanted to know who broke his cutout. Poor Troy just couldnt hold up his head anymore and the son was not happy, he was about 12 back then. All was well when I went in there a few days late though. He had taken a yardstick and duct taped it to the back to keep Troys head from flopping over.

A mirror with movement in it could even be worse.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

I walked into his room in the dark and saw this figure standing there and without even thinking I punched it right in the face.

The kid woke up the next day and wanted to know who broke his cutout. Poor Troy just couldnt hold up his head anymore and the son was not happy, he was about 12 back then. All was well when I went in there a few days late though. He had taken a yardstick and duct taped it to the back to keep Troys head from flopping over.

I busted out laughing when I read that, If anyone was there to witness it I bet they would be on the floor. I've done something similar when living with my dad, he bought a new coat rack and placed it next to the door in the living room where we used to enter the house. I was coming home late from a party and walked into the dark room, looked to my right and saw a silhouette of a person and yelled WHO ARE YOU and slammed it into the wall while grabbing for it's "hands" which were just sweater sleeves...I wasn't aloud to live that one down for months.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    LOL, I'm spitting coffee with this one.
    I can see my self doing something like that.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

When I was in the USAF security police the 67th Pararescue squadron had a mannequin in a scuba suit in in a crouch position in their warehouse,one night a LE patrol found the building unlocked and drew their guns to clear the building,needless to say scuba guy almost got shot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Moderator
    He shouldn't feel to bad even Audie Murphy did it.

“You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Cool screen shot there.

At least the detective beat his opponent to the shot!

Some years ago a Chesapeake, VA LEO was investigating a commercial burglar alarm and shot a Jim Varney cutout.

So was the detective investigated for "attempted suicide"?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Many years ago, I was searching an auto parts building after a "true" alarm (broken glass door). We were creeping in the display room, I rounded the corner and was so startled by a GM Mr. Goodwrench cardboard stand up display man that I pointed my drawn .41 mag at him and stepped back quickly. Bet my heart rate went up to about 120 for a couple of seconds! The problem was, I had been looking down, around, and under things for the hiding burglar (turns out there was not one after all) and when I looked up, suddenly there was a guy just standing there three feet from me! Thank God my finger was up on the frame of the gun.
    What Would Gumby Do?

VIP Member
    Did he hit the mirror COM?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    +1 for Audie Murphy! Great man.

I know I've had my share of "close calls", LOL. Can't remember any specifically though.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Links