Safest area around Arlington VA?

This is a discussion on Safest area around Arlington VA? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have received a “Nice” job offer to work at the Pentagon. I will be moving to Northern Virginia within commuting distance of the funny ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safest area around Arlington VA?

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar

Safest area around Arlington VA?

I have received a “Nice” job offer to work at the Pentagon. I will be moving to Northern Virginia within commuting distance of the funny shaped building in January :) I am not familiar with the area, one friend said I should look into the Dale City Virginia area? I am wondering from the people that think along these lines, what is the safer/safest area within commuting distance of the Pentagon. DC and Maryland are out because of the Gun Laws, and I95 seems to be the easiest way to commute and arrive at the Pentagon Parking Lots. I am currently studying the Self Defense/Gun Laws for all of the border states and DC.

I also plan on joining VCDL.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    What do you consider commuting distance (in time not miles as miles are irrelevant here) and what will your work hours be? Also what are you willing to pay for housing. The last may be the determining factor, but the other two factor in. This area makes the top five worst traffic areas in the country every year, and it isn't getting any better.

I worked in the 5 ring circus for several years and commuted from Sterling, VA. It was 40 minutes, but I arrived at 0600 and departed about 1500 daily. Change those times to say 0800 and 1600 and your commute gets a bit longer. Also are you getting parking? Parking passes are not guaranteed and are rationed out to the offices/departments/units.

Good luck.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

For a nice area up to an Hour either way, work hours will probably vary depending on events elsewhere. Parking pass is very likely. Since I am single, possibly me and a GF but no kids so schools are not an issue.

I lived in Manassas from 1999-2003, and commuted to the pentagon by Rail. They also have a line that goes south toward Fredricksburg. Check if you employer helps subsidize public transport. Just google "Virginia Rail Express" for station locations and schedules. I got more reading done then during grad school while riding the rails. It was way less frustrating than driving along in stop and go traffic with a manual transmission.
    Still Clingin'

Quote Originally Posted by BentLink View Post
    I lived in Manassas from 1999-2003, and commuted to the pentagon by Rail. They also have a line that goes south toward Fredricksburg. Check if you employer helps subsidize public transport. Just google "Virginia Rail Express" for station locations and schedules. I got more reading done then during grad school while riding the rails. It was way less frustrating than driving along in stop and go traffic with a manual transmission.
    I am unfortunately familiar with the LA Combat Zone Commuter system which requires Body Armor, Belt Fed MG and a Gas Mask. How safe is public transportation? Since I will have to be unarmed at work, and probably not able to carry on the way there?

You could even live around Fredericksburg and use the VRE to Metro Blue line. I used to live in Hoodbridge, I mean Woodbridge, not far from Dale City. I found out why some call that Little DC as well.

Plus using the rails you can live further away from NOVA where it is cheaper and friendlier.

Safe is relative...I work(ed) in Arlington/Pentagon up until last September (I'm in training for a deployment to Afghanistan), and my family still lives in Stafford (about 40 miles south - ~40-60 mins commuting time, door to door)...a stone's throw (literally) from Quantico Marine Corps Base.

How sure are you on the parking pass? Because parking is limited, it is usually for senior military (O-7+) and senior civilians.

Since it is you and your GF, you may want to look at the apartments in Crystal City or Pentagon City (within walking distance of the Pentagon and Pentagon City Mall). If you are looking for someplace with land, you have to look south. Avoid Hoodbridge (aka. Woodbridge)...

Edited to add: Stranger and I were typing at the same time.

IRT the Metro...definitely not even close to being as bad as the LA metro....100x better.

If you live south, you may want to look into slugging....http://www.slug-lines.com/Index.htm Best way to commute IMO.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I hate Dial up...Bent Link beat me to it

Administrator
    I dont know much about Va., but there are some great night spots to visit in Annapolis. I lived there for a few years and enjoyed it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    The Metro has their own sworn police force. They seem pretty good. Not saying there can't be crime, but when they cuff and stuff kids for eating french fries in the station they are pretty serious about it. I saw them remove six youths who decided that they would play their boom box in a train car. Several officers met the train at the next station and the youths were removed.

If you can get a recon trip that would be best. That way you don't go in blind. Remember cheap means, well you know. It is best to go to a potential home during the day, in the evening and so on. That way you find out the interesting things about the place. Also if you can try to commute from the location during what would be your most common times. That will give you a feel for that as well.

If money is no object then definitely check out Great Falls. If you are a bit more modest Ballston is nice. Pentagon City and that area are also good and sometimes not terribly expensive.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Thanks for all of your help, as fast as you responded I was on Google and Google earth. I am looking at the Franconia Springfield Station as the Metro Access 22min to Pentagon Station, it has a 5500 vehicle parking complex with spaces you can reserve. That puts it at most a 10 mile commute outside the beltway to catch the Metro from Dale City, and minutes from Franconia or Springfield. I am talking to a realtor and checking crime statistics. That makes me armed to and from the parking complex, also gives me a house with a garage so I can disguise whether I am home or not while I am traveling. I give the commercials for ADT and Brinks a lot of static because they will not scare a criminal off like the commercials show (He knows he has 3-5 minutes) but it does provide the ability to monitor the house and have security show up to secure the house when I am traveling, in other words they do have their place in a security plan. Also in the event of a terrorist attack my GF is 10 miles outside the beltway with a ready access to I95 out of the area altogether, I can arrange a meeting place beforehand that we can connect and proceed to a much safer area until the danger Chem/Bio/Nuke has passed Even though I will work at Ground Zero for almost any attack, I will at least know she is relatively safe.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I live in Fairfax Station which is currently 5-6 miles from Franconia Metro Station. Fairfax Station has almost No crime and has NO Sex offenders according to VSP's website. Clifton Va is pretty rural and has relatively no crime. Burke VA is pretty good as well which is next to Fairfax Station.

Just as an FYI I'm not worried about the Nuke hitting the pentagon. I'm worried abou it hitting the shell station in Burrke on the corner because of a russian built guidance system that probably has a relative MOA of 50 miles. Also, I 95 not good 4 lanes of Total mess at most times of the day.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Thanks, that is exactly the information I was looking for. As far a nuke goes I was thinking more the lines of a dirty bomb, or a bio attack by terrorists they have a much smaller footprint, the Crystal City area has some nice apartments but is less than a Half Mile from any attack on the Pentagon. (Professional Paranoia)

I can't recommend living areas, but do go to DC several times a year. I'm a HUGE fan of the Metro. Clean, safe, and efficient.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

My wife rides the Metro into DC every day and I used to do the same before I started working in Virginia.

During "normal" hours, the Metro is as safe as any other form of transportation. Pretty clean,too.

Honestly, its the Metro parking lots I worry about most. Just stay in condition yellow and its all good.

Welcome to NOVA. We need all the armed good guys we can get here!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links