Street Smarts

This is a discussion on Street Smarts within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; On another thread a member asked So how do you suggest we learn street smarts? I thought what a great topic. It never occurred to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Street Smarts

Street Smarts

On another thread a member asked
    So how do you suggest we learn street smarts?
    I thought what a great topic. It never occurred to me that anyone would ever have to learn street smarts not like there is a class. Hell I don't even know how to identify them. Yet they are essential skills for survival. I just grew up learning them as the knots on my melon can verify. So gents lets hear it what are they and how would someone go about learning them?
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    It only comes from actual experience.
    Ya gotta be there.

Otherwise, have a plan to kill everyone that you meet in the most ruthless fashion and as quickly as possible. Keep your head on a swivel and always have a means of escape, never let your self get boxed in or surprised.Watch the eyes and watch the hands. If you cant see their hands then assume that they have something in them.

Thats a heck of a way to have to live, but thats what it has come to in lots of places.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    On another thread a member asked

I thought what a great topic. It never occurred to me that anyone would ever have to learn street smarts not like there is a class. Hell I don't even know how to identify them. Yet they are essential skills for survival. I just grew up learning them as the knots on my melon can verify. So gents lets hear it what are they and how would someone go about learning them?
    Take a pistol SD class from an experienced cop...you'll learn plenty. The rest involves reading, and changing your personal color from white to yellowish-orange...sort of "Having a plan..."

Stay armed...stay cognizant of your surroundings...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

As previously stated, street smarts are learned through experience, including real life, training and even reading. Yes I believe you can learn some things applicable to the street by reading about them. You don't need to see someone snort enough cocaine to kill themselves to know it's a bad idea.

But I still think the #1 way is through life experience.

As an example:

Bill Gates with no executive protection team

He now has a large team. What if that was a bottle of acid, a gun or knife?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Administrator
    I wish I could figure out a way to teach/sell street smarts or have an easy way to learn it. I'd be a very wealthy man.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It only comes from actual experience.
    Ya gotta be there.
    +1

-Jeff-

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    As previously stated, street smarts are learned through experience, including real life, training and even reading. Yes I believe you can learn some things applicable to the street by reading about them. You don't need to see someone snort enough cocaine to kill themselves to know it's a bad idea.

But I still think the #1 way is through life experience.

As an example:

Bill Gates with no executive protection team

He now has a large team. What if that was a bottle of acid, a gun or knife?

What was that? It looked like Bill got the old pie in the face gag.

There is a place that teaches street smarts. It's called the school of hard knocks. I've learned great things there. Like one time after waking up on the floor of a bar covered in my own blood that picking a fight when your drunk isn't a good idea.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    What was that? It looked like Bill got the old pie in the face gag.

There is a place that teaches street smarts. It's called the school of hard knocks. I've learned great things there. Like one time after waking up on the floor of a bar covered in my own blood that picking a fight when your drunk isn't a good idea.
    Yep. Even the smartest folks you'll ever meet are often lacking the street level intelligence necessary to survive a stroll down the street. He's lucky they just wanted to embarrass him with a pie.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Yep. Even the smartest folks you'll ever meet are often lacking the street level intelligence necessary to survive a stroll down the street. He's lucky they just wanted to embarrass him with a pie.
    Most "smart" people are complete morons when it comes to street smarts. Streets smarts are a product of the environment that you live in.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    HotGuns sez...

Ya gotta be there.

Pretty much sums it up... you CAN do it as an adult, but it's so much better and easier to learn when you are young, have quicker reflexes, and heal faster...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Everlast sez...

I knew this cat named Bill, he didn't have a dollar
    He was Harvard material, Ivy League scholar
    Had a PhD, an MBA
    But now he's waiting tables cuz there's rent to pay

Company's downsizing, inflation's rising
    Can't find a job, he's feeling kind of stressed
    Doesn't even feel the effects when he says
    Forgot to count how many times he been blessed

So he falls off track, starts smoking the crack
    And once it hits his brain, it starts to chain react
    He sells the shirt off his back, the shoes off his feet
    He's losing all his teeth and now he's out on the street

And all of sudden he's like Jesse James
    Trying to stick up kids for their watches and chains
    But he's from business school and he's nervous with the tool
    So he ends up on his back in a bloody pool

For the ends...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Profile every one you see, trust no one, profile every one you meet, suspect everyone then profile some more!! Street smarts 101.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Like Sixto, I wish I could bottle it as well.

Two quotes come to mind...

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
    Which leaves one wondering if ol' Sam Clemens got his smarts on the street. I can just see him whistlin' on down the lane, dangling a cat by the tail and coming to (literal) grips with the latest of his aphorisms. Yiii-eeeeee-ooooww!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Which leaves one wondering if ol' Sam Clemens got his smarts on the street. I can just see him whistlin' on down the lane, dangling a cat by the tail and coming to (literal) grips with the latest of his aphorisms. Yiii-eeeeee-ooooww!
    Put all Twainism's aside and apply the quote to "experience" and I think it fits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links