Feds, Do They Always Carry In Condition 3 ?

This is a discussion on Feds, Do They Always Carry In Condition 3 ? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have noticed that the Feds on all ofthe TV shows (all networks)and the movies are carrying in Condition 3. I say this because they ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feds, Do They Always Carry In Condition 3 ?

Feds, Do They Always Carry In Condition 3 ?

I have noticed that the Feds on all ofthe TV shows (all networks)and the movies are carrying in Condition 3. I say this because they are always racking their slides right after drawing from holster. I know they have technical advisors, and would probably be briefed in departmental procedures but they all do it. Is this normal procedure for Federal Agents to carry in C3? Many of the PD detectives and CSIs also rack their slides on the draw. Again, is this normal procedure?

No guesses on this one, I'd really like to hear from people in the business (LEO or TV) if this is the norm.
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    If it's on TV is GOTTA be real!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

I'm sure it's for the dramatic effect. The LEOs I know mostly carry Glocks with one in the chamber. Just my .02

-Jeff-

VIP Member
    They rack the slide on TV, so the audience can see the BG crap his pants!!

But really all the LEO I know carry Condition 2. 1 in the chamber, hammer down.
    Not many carry a 1911 anymore.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Anyone notice that when they do rack the slide it sometimes sounds like a single action army colt 45 being cocked? I wish I could make mine sound like that.

Michael

Senior Moderator
    Any LEO that doesnt carry one in the pipe is crazy.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Everybody on TV carries that way, unless it's a Glock, then you can hear them cock it when they draw.

I'm just a small town LEO but everything I carry is ready to rock.

U. S. Border Patrol Agents always carry ready to fire and safety on.

This bit about drawing and racking the slide to chamber a round is the preferred Israeli method of carry; that's the way they teach it over there. In this country, you'll be hard-pressed to find a Fed who does it.
    The Edge ... there's no honest way to describe it. The only ones who know where it is have gone over.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Anyone notice that when they do rack the slide it sometimes sounds like a single action army colt 45 being cocked? I wish I could make mine sound like that.

Michael
    Or an 870

hell no!!! that's all dramatic theatrical crap! I work with ICE (Immigrations and Customs Enforcement) and FPS (Federal Protective Service) and they are all ready to rock!

You got to love it on the shows when one guy has a gun to another guys head, then the guy holding the gun Yells, "I'm Serious" or (something like that) as he racks the gun!!!! I laugh everytime!!!
    "Our Country won't go on forever, if we stay as soft as we are now. There won't
    be any AMERICA left because some foreign soldiery will invade us and take our
    women and breed a hardier race!"
    -Lt. Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

VIP Member
    No, we Feds don't all carry in Condition 3.

Let me retract that.....I don't know of any Feds that do, regardless of agency or job.

I know for a fact (having been trained there) that FLETC does not train personnel to carry in Condition 3; at least not to agents attending the Criminal Investigative Training Program (the GS-1811 basic agent course) or Inspector General Academy.

I also know for a fact the FBI does not train and/or carry in Condition 3; that is true for agents carrying the standard issue Glock or FBI agents in their SWAT teams carrying SA 1911's.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Just as a point of reference, because your question has already been answered. I live just a few blocks from the Denver Federal center and on occasion see armed DHS folk in the nearby 7-11. They carry Sig P226's with the funky DAK (DAO with two resets on the trigger). My assumption is that this design and this gun is *designed* to be carried with one in the pipe. It's also been adopted by the Coast Guard.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

It's the movies, guys...ever notice that several times in different scenes...they 'rack' again...just to check before going in?
    I don't know which is more corny...shooting 57 times before a reload, or racking 4 times without a shell being ejected.
    Let's give our Fed/PD more credit than what we see in the movies.

Stay armed...one always in the chamber...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    I have noticed that the Feds on all of the TV shows (all networks)and the movies are carrying in Condition 3.
    You answered your own question! But not in real life!

I'm sitting here trying to remember, One show I don't think the rack the slides on is NCIS...... I'll have to pay more attention.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Of course, it can be a lifesaver when the bad guys do this. I point to Detective Martin Riggs, who would have died in the Christmas tree lot in the first 10 minutes of Lethal Weapon had the bad guy had one in the chamber of his shotgun.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links