Plan would dedicate 20,000 uniformed troops inside U.S. by 2011 - Page 7

Plan would dedicate 20,000 uniformed troops inside U.S. by 2011

This is a discussion on Plan would dedicate 20,000 uniformed troops inside U.S. by 2011 within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yep, it could even be argued that just about every form of government - even dictatorship (if a benevolent dictator could be found) would work. ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Plan would dedicate 20,000 uniformed troops inside U.S. by 2011

Yep, it could even be argued that just about every form of government - even dictatorship (if a benevolent dictator could be found) would work. It's just that governments are run by PEOPLE. People have been known to be flawed. They don't always run on pure logic, or philanthropy, or what would be best for all. No, they sometimes are a tad bit more selfish. And that my friends, becomes the problem...

So, is our experimental form of government the best? Yep!! As attested to the fact that we still have millions of people every year seeking asylum, immigration (both legal and illegal) and citizenship in our great country.

It's just that at times we have some self-serving people - who do what is best for themselves, and sell our way of life down the river.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiWeiSz View Post
    Yep, it could even be argued that just about every form of government - even dictatorship (if a benevolent dictator could be found) would work.
    This, I think, is HotGuns' point. These other forms of government have FAILED and there is historic precedent. Our government and Constitution is unique. It has never been tried and it alone is the reason we are the most successful nation in every respect.

If you do not like the people in office then every two years you can vote for different people. It makes no difference how much power they wamt; it only makes a difference how much power we allow them.

Selfdefense....

I whole heartedly agree, I wasn't in anyway disagreeing. That is precisely why people flock to our nation (no direct pun intended about flocks of sheep). They like our form of government, they like our form of economics, they like our lifestyle, our freedoms, etc.

And, every two years we get to vote out the self-serving yahoos, and put in different self-serving yahoos (LOL) and now and then we get some really, really good guys. It helps to balance out the whole system. Which as I understand it is the VERY reason, our constitution was written the way it was - to attempt to keep the balance.

So, for all those who don't like our government and the way it works (read here all the far left bleeding hearts) - find a country, governement that you like better - they need more of you!!! (And take your fleece with you, they want that as well).
    Shivering in the "heat"

Just for clarification we do get to vote very two years but the terms are different for the House and Senate. The House is reelected every two years but the Senate seats are for six years.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Yes, but one third of the Senate is voted every two years - rotated, for balance. I think the House is 1/2 every two years, simply because they are four year terms - that is if I remember correctly.
    Shivering in the "heat"

Senior Moderator
    The problem is that many of our leaders serve only themselves. We used to have moral men that held themselves to a higher authority than themselves.

Because they held themselves to a higher authority, our system worked. That is no longer the case. In the last 50 years, our leaders have went from predominatley Christian to humanist. There for there is no system of self checks any longer. As ChiWeiSz has noted, now we are being governend by self serving Yahoos that seek only fame and fortune and power and all others can take a hike.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Yes, but one third of the Senate is voted every two years - rotated, for balance. I think the House is 1/2 every two years, simply because they are four year terms - that is if I remember correctly.
    No, the House of Representatives term is two years.

And the Founders NEVER intended that we should vote for Senators. We should repeal the 17th Amendment.

Oh, thanks Selfdefense - couldn't remember that one. Wow - the whole group every two years? that means potentially a completely clean house every two years? hmmm...

Are you sure about the NEVER in voting for Senators? How else would we get them, presidential appointment?
    Shivering in the "heat"

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Exactly, the comment from Cato Institute:

Quote:
    And Cato Vice President Gene Healy warned of "a creeping militarization" of homeland security.

Agreed, and in case no one has noticed, our civilian Police forces have been drastically "militarized" over the past 20 years as well. In most parts of the country, the days of cops in nice lloking uniforms, carrying revolvers and nightsticks in order to protect and serve, has given way to officers dressed in military style fatigues, and assault vests, with helmets, carrying "assault weapons." in order to "fight the war on crime"
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Are you sure about the NEVER in voting for Senators? How else would we get them, presidential appointment?
    The original intent was to have the state legislatures appoint US Senators. One body of Congress was the People's House, the other selected by the states. The Senators were only indirectly elected by the people, who vote for their state legislators.

In 1913, the people decided that there was too much underhanded dealings and ratified the Seventeenth Amendment, providing for direct election of Senators. Of course, it is still manipulated only in a different way.

The closer we get to a democracy the further we move from the Founders' vision. We already know that democracy is a failed form of government and will never last. That is why allowing those who do not contribute to society (taxpayers/homeowners/military...) is causing the downfall of our nation. That is why the democrats' ideals are hugely dangerous to our way of life as they want everyone to vote, including those who simply vote to get handouts from productive Americans.

Senior Moderator
    The closer we get to a democracy the further we move from the Founders' vision. We already know that democracy is a failed form of government and will never last. That is why allowing those who do not contribute to society (taxpayers/homeowners/military...) is causing the downfall of our nation. That is why the democrats' ideals are hugely dangerous to our way of life as they want everyone to vote, including those who simply vote to get handouts from productive Americans.
    Truth.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Selfdefense:

You got it. I need to go back and research my government stuff a little better. And I fully agree - most people voted this last election on things other than true "issues, ideals, or intelligence".

Making a decision to vote the guy in who says, "I will continue to support your right to being fully taken care of by the government rather than expecting you to be a viable, contributing member of society" - simply because he is not white, or old...

Bad voting, bad choice.
    Shivering in the "heat"

Did not Athens and Rome also try the republic, even though they were organized differently? They both disintegrated into tyranny, much as we are beginning to see the tyranny of the "majority."

We currently elect the politicians who do the best job telling us what we want to hear even though they have every intention of doing what will enrich themselves and their friends. There are a few notable exceptions, of course.

Right now our wise leaders are figuring out how to give billions of our tax dollars to corporations and unions who will later give millions to their re-election campaigns. If I wanted GM to have any of my money, I'd have bought one their vehicles. If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

And to think that the Boston Tea Party was over a 3 penny tax per pound of tea. When all is said and done, the bailouts could cost as much as $23,000 per taxpayer.

Perhaps that's what the troops are really about. Protecting "America" from the "Washington Bailout Party" that may be coming when enough Americans figure out what's really going on. As we further go to a command economy and nationalization of various companies, how long till we are the People's Republic of America?

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links