Pilots' holsters prone to AD?

This is a discussion on Pilots' holsters prone to AD? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Report: Pilots' holsters make guns vulnerable to accidental discharge - CNN.com Anyone know the bran of holster they are issued? Sounds like a level 3 ...

Thread: Pilots' holsters prone to AD?

Report: Pilots' holsters make guns vulnerable to accidental discharge - CNN.com

Anyone know the bran of holster they are issued? Sounds like a level 3 or 4 type.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    It's no level 3. It's this weird deal with a hole that so you can put a [Edited] pad lock through the trigger guard.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; December 3rd, 2008 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    The TSA issued them a DAO with an LEM AND one of those stupid trigger guard locks?? Are you kidding me? Okay, it's official. I've only said it before because I've been irritated at waiting in an airport security line, but the TSA really IS retarded

Thanks for the link.

Here's a video that shows the problem with the holster.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

No worries.

Herk
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Sounds to me like they holster the gun but not all the way in. They then put the lock in the trigger guard, but because the gun isn't all the way in the lock is in FRONT of the trigger. Later they push the gun in all the way and Ka-blam. This would only happen if the safety is off, or the gun has no safety.

I see pilots going through airport security all the time. I wonder if they have a way of declaring their weapon without upsetting the TSA. I never see a pilot detained.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    Sounds to me like they holster the gun but not all the way in. They then put the lock in the trigger guard, but because the gun isn't all the way in the lock is in FRONT of the trigger. Later they push the gun in all the way and Ka-blam. This would only happen if the safety is off, or the gun has no safety.

I see pilots going through airport security all the time. I wonder if they have a way of declaring their weapon without upsetting the TSA. I never see a pilot detained.
    HK LEM conversion has NO safety which is why the trigger guard thing is so asinine.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    <snip>
    According to a pilot friend of mine, pilots who carry weapons (FFDO?) go through a separate process that is out of sight of the regular security line. That's why you and I never see a pilot checking a weapon through TSA.

Brian

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    That holster was made at the request of a federal LE agency. It carried over to the air.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

1943 - 2009
    The holster is a DeSantis F.D.O. model.

F.D.O. w/ Lock Hole

We discussed this topic at length in this thread:

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ged-x-3-a.html

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Now I'm sure I would never fly

IIRC, the concept of incorporating the ability to padlock the pistol into the holster is the USSS's. (They asked for a hole to be stamped through their issue pancake holsters in the appropriate place to run a padlock behind the trigger, thus securing the weapon from anyone without the time, inclination, and abilty to cut it off.) Their intent was to afford their personnel a convenient way of securing their weapons from unauthorized people, in particular their kids and their friends, when other means where not available.

The TSA's current issue holster for FFDOs is a spin off design, essentially the same design. The intent was to afford their personnel a convenient way of securing their weapons from unauthorized people upon leaving their area of control, i.e. the flight deck. Note: the program initially afforded lock boxes to accomplish this purpose; lock boxes many FDDOs objected to. The holster in question was the compromise.

As for the pilot in question, had he followed the policies and procedures, his unintentional discharge would not have occurred.
    God, country, family.

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    Here's a video that shows the problem with the holster.

Hoss
    That doesn't look safe at all!

Sponsored Links