My Ride Along

My Ride Along

This is a discussion on My Ride Along within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I had my ride along yesterday, so I figured I would share the days results/happenings. I rode with the county sheriff's office, not the ...

Thread: My Ride Along

My Ride Along

So I had my ride along yesterday, so I figured I would share the days results/happenings. I rode with the county sheriff's office, not the city PD. I chose to do my ride along with the 6am shift, because of daylight. I actually got to ride with a female officer. Very nice lady.

So we started out about 6:15 after she cleaned out her front seat. I was immediately shown the 0-60..err 85 of the police cruiser...pretty quick. haha. We left the substation and went directly to a local restaurant for breakfast. About a half hour. After that we went to check on her "hookers" that she new from her zone. On our way, we got a call for 2 cars that were racing and driving recklessly- but no sign of them. So on to the hooker's house. We didn't really engage with them, we just sat outside their house for about 20 minutes while she finished a report from the day before.

Then we took a cruise through her zone, it was school time, so there were kids and crossing guards. After a quick drive through, we parked near a crossing guard while she checked some reports online, and "briefed me" on a few crimes that had recently happened. I asked her if she sought out traffic violations. She said the other officer in her area is in charge of doing that- he sits and radars, etc. She obviously said that she stops for incidents in front of her, but she does not that often sit and look for speeders. After a few more minutes, we headed to the substation so she could draw out an accident scene, and then file it.

We took another pass through her zone, then on to the store to pick up some medicine and a drink. After that, we took a ride to the substation to help another officer update his in car computer system- took about half hour. Then headed back through her zone, and picked a new place to park. I asked her about the procedure for a traffic stop, and she said instead of me telling you, I'll show you. We drove over to perfect hiding place next to a STOP sign. and seriously, within 1 minute, we had a runner, and we flipped the lights and pulled him over. She said she likes to do the 3-strike rule in traffic stops: she'll pull someone over and give them a warning, but if they do more than 2 things wrong, then it is automatic ticket. So she handed a warning and we went back to the spot. LITERALLY 2 minutes later this guy completely runs this STOP sign- and I say, "uh-oh" and she's like wow, and we stopped him. Still only another warning, but they got the point. Right after that, a call went over the radio about a traffic stop that turned out to be a warrant, so she said we'll take a break, because this may turn out to be a long day. So we went to the store again to use the bathroom.

After that, we went by to drop medicine off to her daughter, and then got a call for a fake $100 bill at a cell phone store. We went there, only to find out that the manager was lazy and didn't check the bill, and it was not fake. Then we went to her cell phone store to pay her bill, then off to the gas station to meet her fellow officer. After that we had to assist the warrant officers about some child abuse.

Meanwhile, we hear on the radio that the homeless guy has robbed another bank- his 5th in recent weeks, and he once again used his recyclable Publix grocery bag. After that, it was lunch time, so she dropped me off because she needed to take some personal time to be with her daughter. She ended up having to take the rest of the day off because her daughter was sick, so my ride along ended there, around 2:15. So all this took about 8 hours. Rather uneventful, but nevertheless fun time. Didn't get the high speed chase turned shoot out that we all look for right? haha. I'm glad I was safe.

I'm meeting a buddy of mine tonight actually to set up a ride along with the beach police department sometime soon.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."
    -Thomas Jefferson

2 Chronicles 7:14

Administrator
    Sounds like a typical day to me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm glad you had a good time / myself I don't like high speed 100MPH or moore in traffic brother has one hand on wheel other working squelch at every intersection He was smileling & said there is'nt no brake on my side though I was trying

BAC
    Glad to hear you had a good time; I expect I'll get to do something like this soon, so this was right on time for me. Do you think you'll do another or just the one?

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Did you carry while on the ride along?

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    Did you carry while on the ride along?
    NOOOO...application said no weapons at all. I am going on another one, and it's prolly gonna be with a friend of mine. I'm waiting for my CWL to come in the mail- they cashed my check like 2 weeks ago but haven't sent it out. ANYWAYS- if I have it by then, he might let me carry. We'll see.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Glad to hear you had a good time; I expect I'll get to do something like this soon, so this was right on time for me. Do you think you'll do another or just the one?

-B
    Oh yeah- def gonna do another one. Setting one up tonight with the beach PD, and then probably gonna set one up with city PD and FHP. I want to get a point of view from all sides. I can go on 3 per department per year in manatee county.
    -Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    good Luck
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

VIP Member
    cool, glad you had a good time,
    my ride along in March started with the first of 7 shots fired calls we had during the shift, was with a buddy of mine, I inquired about the academy, and now I'll be an officer myself as of next Friday
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I've been on 2 rides, and they were complete opposites of each other. The first one involved a stolen car stop, complete with drawn guns, a butt-puckering high speed pursuit in to the sticks on gravel roads, and 100+ mph on the freeway. The second was a yawn-fest with only a couple stops and a lot of paperwork.

I'd like to go again! This thread has rekindled my interest.

VIP Member

From the voice of experience.

It's true. 90% boredom, 10% sheer terror.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    cool, glad you had a good time,
    my ride along in March started with the first of 7 shots fired calls we had during the shift, was with a buddy of mine, I inquired about the academy, and now I'll be an officer myself as of next Friday

awesome man- what city?
    -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by RumorsOFsurF View Post
    I've been on 2 rides, and they were complete opposites of each other. The first one involved a stolen car stop, complete with drawn guns, a butt-puckering high speed pursuit in to the sticks on gravel roads, and 100+ mph on the freeway. The second was a yawn-fest with only a couple stops and a lot of paperwork.

I'd like to go again! This thread has rekindled my interest.

that's what i'm here for
    -Thomas Jefferson

Links