"Hooah!" Etiquette - Page 2

"Hooah!" Etiquette

This is a discussion on "Hooah!" Etiquette within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by sarhog Course I never heard of Marine Drill instructors teaching at BUDS in the 70s either. Good luck. :) 72-74..ish, Coronado. They ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 25 of 25
  1. #16
    Member Array CleaningAccident's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by sarhog
    Course I never heard of Marine Drill instructors teaching at BUDS in the 70s either.
    Good luck. :)
    72-74..ish, Coronado. They were not acting as DI's but they were Marines and still used that language and method. They filled some training positions due to the "shortage" of state side SEALS during VN. They were among the Fourth Phase, Hell Week, CFC intructors and other duties at NSWC.
    This is specifically when and where I think the term was "handed off" to Navy instructors. Its only my personal hypothesis.
    You better pray I dont jam, because my backup is a ball peen hammer.


  2. #17
    Member Array Rgr5280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by acparmed
    It used to be strictly a Special Forces thing. It started with the SEALS. When I went to SCUBA School in Key West with the SEALS is where I first heard it and that was in 1971.
    Back then all SCUBA training was done with the Navy no matter what branch of service you were in.
    I went to SCUBA school (it was SFCDQC when I went) in Key West about 15 years after you. We were at Truman Annex.
    Ahhhh...the nights at Sloppy Joe's followed by mornings of fast runs, flutterkicks, open water swims and the Draegar Lar V.
    "May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent

  3. #18
    Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,133
    How do you break a Marine's neck?

    Wait until he's taking a drink, then slam the toilet seat on his head.


    On topic portion: I heard about the AF's "Airpower" idea... yeah, kinda dumb. Lots of the AF guys who work with us Soldiers pick up the "Hooah"... but the physical therapist I used to see at the AF Academy couldn't stand it. Hooah!
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

  4. #19
    Member Array Rgr5280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    92
    I talked to a few old timers about the Hooah!/Hoo-Yah/OOH-rah! thing. One, a 28 year vet and current SEAL team member. The other was one of the SEAL originals circa 1950 who retired from the military and started another career...
    Hoo-yah! is the Navy's version. OOh-rah! belongs to the Marines and Hooah! they first heard in the '80s used by the Army.

    In the late 50's a west coast SEAL by the name of Don Rose had a friend that would yell Poohah! when he had a good 'kill'...in volleyball. At a later date the term transitioned into Hoo-Yah! and stuck. This story was written up in 'Museum Magazine' under 'Fire in the hole!' by Don Rose.

    Now this from me...
    In the 80's we used Hooah! as the positive response to just about anything in the Ranger Battalions (Rangers still use it today but with the redistribution of the black beret the entire Army has adopted it).

    Other than the occasional jerk you may run into you can't go wrong with returning a Hooah!/Hoo-Yah/OOH-rah!. If your not military and they ask if you were just tell them the truth and you should be GTG.
    "May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent

  5. #20
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,802

    Lightbulb Hooooah!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rgr5280
    I talked to a few old timers about the Hooah!/Hoo-Yah/OOH-rah! thing. One, a 28 year vet and current SEAL team member. The other was one of the SEAL originals circa 1950 who retired from the military and started another career...
    Hoo-yah! is the Navy's version. OOh-rah! belongs to the Marines and Hooah! they first heard in the '80s used by the Army.

    In the late 50's a west coast SEAL by the name of Don Rose had a friend that would yell Poohah! when he had a good 'kill'...in volleyball. At a later date the term transitioned into Hoo-Yah! and stuck. This story was written up in 'Museum Magazine' under 'Fire in the hole!' by Don Rose.

    Now this from me...
    In the 80's we used Hooah! as the positive response to just about anything in the Ranger Battalions (Rangers still use it today but with the redistribution of the black beret the entire Army has adopted it.

    Other than the occasional jerk you may run into you can't go wrong with returning a Hooah!/Hoo-Yah/OOH-rah!. If your not military and they ask if you were just tell them the truth and you should be GTG.
    Historical "LEGEND" has it that on Omaha Beach the commander onsite asked to be brought a representative of the Rangers. He told them to "Lead the Way" and this is where they draw their motto from: "Rangers Lead the Way!" The legend springs up when the alleged response was a SHOCKED WHO-a....us?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  6. #21
    Member Array Rgr5280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    92
    lol
    "May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent

  7. #22
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,802

    Smile LOL Good 'un!

    Quote Originally Posted by tanksoldier
    How do you break a Marine's neck?

    Wait until he's taking a drink, then slam the toilet seat on his head.

    That's a good one. Unfortunately, all my marine jokes are unprintable.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  8. #23
    VIP Member Array ExSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Coral Gables, FL
    Posts
    5,802

    Cool HUA has another meaning....

    Quote Originally Posted by XD9
    Army: "HOO-AH!" Accent is on the first syllable, and it is derived from the acronym HUA, which stands for heard, understood, acknowledged.
    I was always taught that HUA stands for Head Up A$$? As in a screwed up troop. Or a screwey Looie....which was pretty common. Man that el-tee is HUA!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

  9. #24
    Member Array Rgr5280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Out West
    Posts
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    I was always taught that HUA stands for Head Up A$$? As in a screwed up troop. Or a screwey Looie....which was pretty common. Man that el-tee is HUA!
    We really didn't notice our Lt's...the PSG ran the show
    "May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent

  10. #25
    Senior Member Array A1C Lickey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,059
    When I was in Basic and Tech School they tried to push the "Airpower" and "HYUP." Yeah, neither of them really stuck. I think Hooah gets picked up most by those who work with the Army.
    TSgt. Lickey

    It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. "Blue Force Gear" and "eCop! Police Supply" Review
    By Medic218 in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 30th, 2012, 05:31 PM
  2. (Open carry) "Help, Officer, he brandished his weapon at me!"..."No i didn't!!"
    By RR9501 in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: October 9th, 2010, 01:48 PM
  3. Smith & Wesson Model 40 "Classic" "Lemon Squeezer"
    By randytulsa2 in forum Defensive Carry Guns
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: February 10th, 2008, 05:30 AM
  4. A True Texas Tale: "Bad Guy" "One", "Old Man" "Zero"
    By Rock and Glock in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: March 17th, 2006, 08:50 AM

Search tags for this page

army hooah or hoorah
,

army saying hooah

,
can a civilian say hooah
,

can civilians say hooah

,

can civilians say oorah

,
do navy seals say hoorah
,
does the army say hoorah or hooah
,
hooah army quotes
,
navy eod cadence
,
navy hooah or hoorah
,

who can say hooah

,
who can say hoorah
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors