How old is too old?

This is a discussion on How old is too old? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A question for the leos - leos only please. I have a college degree in IT, but would like to give something more back to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How old is too old?

VIP Member

How old is too old?

A question for the leos - leos only please.

I have a college degree in IT, but would like to give something more back to the community, help folks out, and get the satisfaction of a job worth doing back, similiar to when I was in a volunteer rescue squad some years back.

I've been thinking of switching careers into law enforcement for several years. Is mid - late 40's too old to make the transition?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    It is generally going to be too old if you plan on retiring. My guess is that otherwise, it would depend on you.

Edit: my reread reveals to me that you don't want my opinion and I respect that. I'm sorry for not catching that first. Please remember that "leo" is on the lines of "capricorn" and "aries." "LEO" is something different and perhaps would have caught my attention.
    Last edited by Agave; December 14th, 2008 at 11:28 PM.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

My Dad got his commission at age 52 (world's oldest rookie) after attending a community college academy that was accepted by his city. He just did it to see if he could. He chose to work as a reserve and made a fortune doing off-duty side work.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

auxiliary or reserve police in many communities is a good compromise. Most are volanteer organizations, but if you want to give back, it's a good way to do it. I'm an auxiliary with a local department. No way could I keep up with the rookies when I ride with them. Those 20 year olds are able to chase down the average BG (aged 15-25) much better then I can (age 41).
    Most departments have age requirements for regulars. I never wanted to be a LEO, but I've enjoyed decades doing what I do, part-time. Hope this helps.

VIP Member
    No problem Agave - I respect your opinion and appreciate the time you took to respond. I am seeking input from folks in the know so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Agave View Post
    It is generally going to be too old if you plan on retiring. My guess is that otherwise, it would depend on you.

Edit: my reread reveals to me that you don't want my opinion and I respect that. I'm sorry for not catching that first. Please remember that "leo" is on the lines of "capricorn" and "aries." "LEO" is something different and perhaps would have caught my attention.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarcustrucker View Post
    auxiliary or reserve police in many communities is a good compromise. Most are volanteer organizations, but if you want to give back, it's a good way to do it. I'm an auxiliary with a local department. No way could I keep up with the rookies when I ride with them. Those 20 year olds are able to chase down the average BG (aged 15-25) much better then I can (age 41).
    Most departments have age requirements for regulars. I never wanted to be a LEO, but I've enjoyed decades doing what I do, part-time. Hope this helps.
    I know better than to try and keep up with a 20 year old - that is why cruisers have V8s. :)

I will look into the reserves. I've been meaning to talk to my neighbor about it - he is a reserve officer for a local department.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    If you really want to make the switch, I would check with agencies that you are interested in working for and see what opportunities exist. In PA, the age restrictions vary by department. Our academies are of a POST variety. There are no age limits and the PT standards (for better or worse) are age adjusted. Good luck on you quest!
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Are you thinking more of a full-time LEO position or more as a reserve officer/deputy? My current dept. does accept people in that age range, but they have to be able to pass the academy with all its requirements. My academy class guide(leader) was deemed too old by the state pension board, as he was over 35 at his time of appointment,he had to appeal and fight the ruling. So, you might want to look at your state's requirements for age for LEO and their pension.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Oh Yes

CTR, I took the class and became a reserve officer two years ago at the age of 56. One of the people in the class with me was 62. The two of us had the highest grades in the class. We have been on the reserve program for the last two years and doing great. I found out last weekend the even at this advance age and with 45 pounds of gear I can still out run most 14 and 15 year olds in a foot race for 150 yards if I do not have to spot them more than about 20 yards.

Go for it and give it a try.... JAG

Question

I've been toying around with the reserve thing. Is this something that all departments do or does it depend on each departments policies?

I wouldn't mind being a reserve type thing, it might be kind of fun and would open my eyes to what actually happens in this town
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

VIP Member
    wow, this sounds way too familiar.....

I'm 36, degree and certifications in IT, worked in that field for 10 years,
    just graduated from academy and on the streets now

if you want to do it and can find an agency that will have you...then do it

if you have retirement $$$ that would be in jeopardy then you must consider that-are you vested, can you keep it where its at? can you roll in into an IRA or other fund? needs some thought....but so does being happy with your job, thats what pushed me t do it,...that and I feel I was called to do it
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    Here in Texas, several Sheriff's dept's have no max. age requirement. There is usually a physical agility test along with a general high school level written exam. There is even the possibility of retirement.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I spent 25 years as a reserve and don't regret it a bit. It's also a good stepping-stone to full time leo duty. I passed on several opportunities because I had a family business to run and I couldn't be full time and do both at the same time.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Houston PD will gladly hire recruits, provided they will be no older than 45 (IIRC; might be 44) when graduating from the six-month academy. HPD pays its academy cadets a rather nice salary, and is aggressively hiring. A 3-year hiring freeze in the 1980's means that now, 20+ years later, there is an attrition problem. HPD officers are vested at ten years, for pension purposes, and an officer who starts at the max age can collect a pension.

Other agencies in the Houston/Harris County area have no age limit, but you usually must already have attended an academy and have your state peace officer license.

Some sheriff's agencies will hire jailers, with no age limit, and will send good jailers to an academy to receive peace officer training. Once having achieved full peace officer status, working the streets will become an option. Harris County, Texas, which is the greater Houston area, is like this, and I was told there are little to no physical standards for a starting jailer, though attending the academy to become a fully-sworn deputy will probably require meeting some standard.

Back to Houston PD: A stumbling block for many prospective recruits is credit problems.

Overall, nationwide, there is a shortage of police officer recruits, due to the aging of the population, and many agencies have raised or eliminated age limits. There have been stories from the major media outlets of age 50+ rookies. The job of LEO is not just a job, it is a calling, and is an adventure. I have met many HPD officers who left the private sector, and took a pay cut, to serve their community. Not so many highly-motivated people take the jailer route to Harris County deputy, because the jail, is frankly, hellish, no matter how clean and new and streamlined.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links