Question(s) for LEOs (Or anyone else)

This is a discussion on Question(s) for LEOs (Or anyone else) within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not trying to be a wise A$$,but...... It's my house. I am the good guy. I am(supposed to be ) innocent until proven guilty. I ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question(s) for LEOs (Or anyone else)

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Not trying to be a wise A$$,but...... It's my house. I am the good guy. I am(supposed to be ) innocent until proven guilty. I do not openly carry,even at home. But I do carry in my home(and outside on my property)right up until I undress for a shower. After my shower I put on my loungeing clothes. Usually sweatpants and long sleave,pullover shirt. If the doorbell rings during my loungeing time it is always(even expecting pizza delivery) with pistol in hand. I look out through the window in the door to confirm idenity. If a known,I put the weapon in a small decorative box,with a lid,that sits on a table next to the door. If unknown,after who are you?,what do you want?,etc.,if I decide to open the door,my weapon is in my hand,held behind me. That's until the door is secured. After the door is opened if I need to put it in the box,I simply say," excuse me for a moment",push the door closed and put it in the box. The instance would be,someone collecting for our local SAR squad,or some father selling girl scout cookies.(How come the little girls don't do that anymore? Of course,while being accompnied by a grownup.) Anyway,if it was a LEO at the door I strongly feel that is still my house. I will not change my behavior for him or anybody else. If by some chance,because of the circumstances,I feel that I need to inform the LEO that I am armed,if he didn't like it he could simply just go away. Again,this is my house,he will have to abide by my conditions. If I walk into the police station I have to(gladly)abide by their rules. This is understood and accepted by me. I expect,and demand the same courtesy from all LEO'S. It's as simple as that. -----------

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by RSSZ
    Not trying to be a wise A$$,but...... It's my house. I am the good guy. I am(supposed to be ) innocent until proven guilty. I do not openly carry,even at home. But I do carry in my home(and outside on my property)right up until I undress for a shower. After my shower I put on my loungeing clothes. Usually sweatpants and long sleave,pullover shirt. If the doorbell rings during my loungeing time it is always(even expecting pizza delivery) with pistol in hand. I look out through the window in the door to confirm idenity. If a known,I put the weapon in a small decorative box,with a lid,that sits on a table next to the door. If unknown,after who are you?,what do you want?,etc.,if I decide to open the door,my weapon is in my hand,held behind me. That's until the door is secured. After the door is opened if I need to put it in the box,I simply say," excuse me for a moment",push the door closed and put it in the box. The instance would be,someone collecting for our local SAR squad,or some father selling girl scout cookies.(How come the little girls don't do that anymore? Of course,while being accompnied by a grownup.) Anyway,if it was a LEO at the door I strongly feel that is still my house. I will not change my behavior for him or anybody else. If by some chance,because of the circumstances,I feel that I need to inform the LEO that I am armed,if he didn't like it he could simply just go away. Again,this is my house,he will have to abide by my conditions. If I walk into the police station I have to(gladly)abide by their rules. This is understood and accepted by me. I expect,and demand the same courtesy from all LEO'S. It's as simple as that. -----------
    Interesting post.

An LEO comes to your door in plain clothes, no uniform. You ask who it is, he/she shows ID. What then? Do you trust what you can see through the window and put the gun in the box or keep it behind your back?

Just my .02...if I were an LEO at your door while you stood with one hand behind your back I'd be thinking that looked a little odd. If, by chance, I saw you're gun I'd be thinking that I'm the good guy and I want to go home tonight.
    "May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent

Assistant Administrator
    That is why I would promote discretion and deference to the cop's wish to go home that day

It should however be a simple proceedure to avoid the gun being seen and even if it was - also quick to holster or place other than in the hand.

I follow the thinking re - ''it's my darned house etc'' - but also am able to put myself in the cop's shoes. It could be just as nerve-wracking as a traffic stop for him!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Well, since I don't live in Chicago anymore, answering the door with a gun in my hand seems a bit excessive. However, I don't see why I can't have a pistol on my person, even if it's the police at my door.

Lead Moderator
    Answering the door for LE w/ gun in holster - less problem. Gun in hand- you may be inspecting your carpet ,really close up.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Answering the door for LE w/ gun in holster - less problem. Gun in hand- you may be inspecting your carpet ,really close up.
    Wonder what a good (I know oximoron ) lawyer would have to say about that? Not that I'd want to try and find out.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    I'd have to agree. If the LEO saw a gun in your hand, he'll most likely draw down on you, and hopefully not shoot you first and ask questions afterward.

The shoulder holster, I think, would definitely put him on edge. Not all LEOs are comfortable with other people possessing guns, while some are. All the ones I've talked to about CCW are totally cool about it. But, I've definitely met a few that would go "Barney Fife and the Shaky Gun"(IIRC) over it.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Senior Moderator
    As a Deputy Sheriff I've answered lots of calls where someone was holding a pistol,rifle or shotgun when they answered the door. Being that most of our calls are rural, its really to be expected.It could have been any number of things such as terroristic threatening,suspected burgarly, prowlers,suspisious persons, possums in the trash,even domestic disputes,a 911 hangup call or even a simple welfare check.

In every case a little bit of communication went a long way. I KNOW its your house. I KNOW that you have the right to carry whatever you want whenever you want. I just hope that you understand that I dont know you from ADAM, and for all I know you could be the perp answering the door and have everyone tied up in the back room.

I dont ASSUME anything. I dont know that you're the owner of the house, a decorated Vietnam veteran or serving on the local school board or the leader of the local Boy Scout troop.

I will politley ask that you secure your weapon. That includes securing it in your holster if you happen to be wearing one.

I'll do this is for various reasons. I dont know your state of mind. I dont know if your cool,calm and collected or extremely agitated. I dont know your gun handling skills. If you have piss poor gun handling skills and you kill me by accident it wont matter to my wife it was accidental or intentional.
    I dont know the operating condition of your weapon. If you won that pistol in a card game from your cousin JimBoB and he was a self professed gunsmith and he smithed your trigger down to 2 oz's, I dont want you banging it on the door frame by accident and shooting a hole in anything.
    I dont know what you expect us a police officers to do for you. If we do or dont do something to your liking, the last thing I want is a pissed off homeowner carrying a gun.

I expect you to be nervous. If you've called the cops to your place, something aint right. If your neighbors have called to cops to your place, something aint right. The simple truth is, if we show up on your doorstep for any reason at all...something aint right.

I've taken the time to write this post so that everyone can see that its not all black and white for the police when they show up. There are many variables in each equation that we have to sort through to come to a sastisfactory outcome.

I'll ask you politley and firmly the first time. Thus far, in my short career, I've never had to ask more than once. A little communication goes a long way here. I hope yall can understand that if I have to ask you more than once, the second time around I may not be so polite.

Also, understand that this is a big country. What is normal procedure here may be completley different somewhere else. You may get away with walking up to your door with a gun in your hand when the police show up, a county over it may be standard response for them to draw down on you while they tell you drop it right now,right there.

Assistant Administrator
    I've taken the time to write this post so that everyone can see that its not all black and white for the police when they show up. There are many variables in each equation that we have to sort through to come to a satisfactory outcome.
    My thinking entirely HG!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Good Post HG ..

When i lved in a small town i new the cops well and they new me i shoot with them more time than not small range .

I have had them come knocking at the door anyone knocking at 2am get door answered gun in had..

I used to like by what they called Maxie boys training scholl they had a lot of escapes and police would come by and check outside of hosues to see if any of the criminals were they .

Course they would let you know they were out there so you didnt shoot the burglur with the flashlight poking round your stuff..

The cops were always nice and understanding ..

I dont think it would be same in the city

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    Wonder what a good (I know oximoron ) lawyer would have to say about that? Not that I'd want to try and find out.
    I don't know what the lawyer would say, but I know what the police would say. They'd say the officer was taking those steps necessary to protect himself.

Answer the door. He sez that he is a LEO. I ask to see ID. (and not just a badge) He shows it. I put my weapon in the box. I open the door.Seems pretty simple to me. Again>> It's my house.I'm the GG. I have done nothing wrong. If the police have problems with this, then they had better call first or have a serious change in tactics. Just because he has identified himself to me,it's not suddenly the police station. It's still my home. Anyone is free to let the police dictate to you what you do in your own home(while you are innocent,before you are proven guilty)but I will not. Again,I have respect for LEO's and the job that they do. I simply ask for the same respect in return. --------Edited to add:My rights include the 2nd Amendment and unlawfull search and seizure. I will not give up EITHER of those rights. ---------
    Last edited by RSSZ; January 17th, 2006 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns
    As a Deputy Sheriff I've answered lots of calls where someone was holding a pistol,rifle or shotgun when they answered the door. Being that most of our calls are rural, its really to be expected.It could have been any number of things such as terroristic threatening,suspected burgarly, prowlers,suspisious persons, possums in the trash,even domestic disputes,a 911 hangup call or even a simple welfare check.
    First, my question was for if a LEO shows up and you didn't call. If I were to call the police for some reason that would end up with a visit that I was aware of, the last thing I'd do would be to have a gun anywhere in sight, unless I was holding someone until the police arrived. When they did arrive, the weapon would be secured, if possible. Also, in that situation, the police would be advised in advance that I have a weapon and that I was holding some law-breaker until their arrival.

But maybe that's just me.

In Texas, like many other places, you can carry concealed on your property. If the LEOs show up for whatever reason, attitude (yours and theirs) will determine everything. Most of the LEOs I know are business-like and polite...if I respond in the same manner, there isn't going to be a problem, armed or not.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Kompact9, 10-4 your above post. Some common sense is needed here. If my alarm is going off in the middle of the night,if my wife is chaseing me around the house with a frying pan,screaming,or if the power is off (dark) and the front door has been pryed/kicked off it's hinges,I'm NOT gonna meet the LEO's at the front door with weapon in hand. (there) -----------

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links