Question(s) for LEOs (Or anyone else)

This is a discussion on Question(s) for LEOs (Or anyone else) within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's one for LEOs, current or retired, of course, everyone else can give their 2 cents worth too. Let's say you're at home, and, like ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question(s) for LEOs (Or anyone else)

Question(s) for LEOs (Or anyone else)

Here's one for LEOs, current or retired, of course, everyone else can give their 2 cents worth too.

Let's say you're at home, and, like some of us, you're packing your weapon. You have a CCW permit, and there's a knock at the door.

You answer the door and it's a LEO.
    Do you put your weapon up before you answer the door?
    Do you try to keep it concealed?
    Suppose you're wearing a shoulder holster, do you take it off and put it up?
    What is a permit holder (or just a legally armed citizen) supposed to do?

For that matter, what kind of reaction should I expect from the LEO?

2. Remove Ads

Good question Al. I look forward to the responses/opinions.

One other point come to my mind. Since MI is a 'must inform if carrying' state (as in traffic stops), do you need to declare that you are carrying in this case? Or when do you decide that you must inform?

Quote Originally Posted by fortysomething
    Good question Al. I look forward to the responses/opinions.

One other point come to my mind. Since MI is a 'must inform if carrying' state (as in traffic stops), do you need to declare that you are carrying in this case? Or when do you decide that you must inform?
    Normally, I'd think that since you're on your own property (whether you own it or rent makes no difference) then you wouldn't need a permit to carry concealed, so I'd THINK you would not have to inform in that situation. However, I might do so to avoid any complications, just in case the officer discovers that you have a permit.

Assistant Administrator
    I think this is something which often comes to mind - at least we have mostly considered it I am sure.

Pretty much most places tho - carry or not - the home and business are the two places where no permit required anyways.

However, much might depend on both your own state and, your mode of door answering. If gun in hand then it should ideally be out of plain sight, or it may be holstered and hand on it. If nothing gives away your armed status then I think here I would keep quiet and behave normally - main priority is not to give LE any nasty surprises.

If however he made me, gun in hand, I would immediately reholster and ask if he is OK with that. I guess too there might be some consideration given to the purpose of the visit!

We can hopefully assume for us - it is not serious but probably a search for info, like ''did you see'' etc. That type of call is business but ''friendly'' and should be no problem. Were it however something bad (even in error) the way we handle our armed status could be more ''sensitive''. This situation would I imagine anyways be altered by us seeing not one LE but two or more!!!

I'd add also - I have enough glass in front door area (tho curtained - can look out but folks can hardly see in) - that I would see it was LE before opening, and hopefully be pretty sure it was genuine LE too. I know what my local guys wear and also state troopers. There would too have to be a cruiser in driveway to reinforce the genuine aspect - no cruiser - alarm bells!!

In fact some weeks back two state cops did call to speak with my step son - after some info. Wife let them in but I was around some of the time - they would not have known I was armed.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    Reguardless of law , I would inform the officer. I would keep it on but keep my hand off the gun. In your own home , it's your property. I have broken no laws, and the gun in a holster is no diffrent than sitting on a table. Unless they are there to arrest you , most should not have a problem with you carrying.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    +1 on Rocky's post

The reason I asked, I've had a "few" visits from the local police and county sheriff. Nope, they weren't there for me. They were looking for the previous tenants. Most of the time, my wife answered the door. One time I did, I was armed, it was not visible. The LEO asked for a previous tenant, I informed him they didn't live here any more. That was that.

Thing is, sometimes I wear a shoulder holster, and in the Winter time, when I'm in the house, it is not covered. So the question came to mind.

Like the answers I've seen so far, hope to get more responses.

Thanks,

That is a good question we need to get a Mi Cop on here to answer for sure

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    We can hopefully assume for us - it is not serious but probably a search for info, like ''did you see'' etc. That type of call is business but ''friendly'' and should be no problem. Were it however something bad (even in error) the way we handle our armed status could be more ''sensitive''. This situation would I imagine anyways be altered by us seeing not one LE but two or more!!!
    This is more where I was going with my question. I know that a permit is not required in your own home/business. I guess I was looking at assessing the purpose of the visit. I agree that if it is just friendly/business/questions there would be little need to disclose or disarm.

If they are there to take you for questioning, then I think you may want/need to inform to head off any misunderstanding that could end in more trouble.

Lead Moderator
    Look up local and state law. Private property should allow you to carry openly. Also , if the officer is questioning you, it could be considered the same as a vehicle stop, therefore informing of carry could be considered manditory.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    Look up local and state law. Private property should allow you to carry openly.
    Actually, as I recall, you can carry concealed on your own property without a permit. And in MI, open carry is legal without a permit, in most places. Still, I wouldn't want to walk down a Detroit street carrying open. Not unless I wanted to meet a lot of cops.

VIP Member
    If a cop is called (by you or someone else) to your door because of an issue related to you, than I think it would be the best policy to tell the officer if firearms are present. I imagine that cops have a tough time throughout the day, when seemingly mundane calls turn into something nasty. I think the more knowledge he has about what he's getting into, even though you know you're Joe Good Guy, is a good thing.

I can see why Al Lowe didn't tell the officer - "you're looking for the previous tenant, by the way, I have a gun" wasn't necessary.

I had issues with a neighbor at a previous residence, and I had called the police. When the officer showed up, I let him inside, and told him that I had a couple handguns on the table. He said, "okay, no problem." Before he left, he glanced at them and said, "you're not going to become a victim anytime soon, are you!"

I wouldn't show up at the door with a gun plainly visible on me - I'd lay it on a table or it would be concealed - whatever appears more unthreatening to the officer until the situation is clarified. I would make sure I keep myself clearly visible to the officer with hands in plain view, and don't do any stupid moves that would translate as something violent. If I'm reaching for my purse, I say I'm reaching for my purse to retrieve my wallet and ID, and I do it slowly.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe
    ...sometimes I wear a shoulder holster, and in the Winter time, when I'm in the house, it is not covered.
    In this case, I would be inclined to keep a cover garment handy and throw it on when answering the door, regardless of who is at the door.

Quote Originally Posted by fortysomething
    In this case, I would be inclined to keep a cover garment handy and throw it on when answering the door, regardless of who is at the door.
    That's the way I would handle it. I carry IWB, and I usually remove my cover garment in my own house. When someone knocks on the door, I pull a flannel shirt on (hanging by the door) before I open it.
    If it was law enforcement, I would not feel obliged to inform them that I am carrying unless he either asked me directly, or gave me the impression that I am being arrested or detained.
    Good luck. :)
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe
    I wouldn't want to walk down a Detroit street carrying open. Not unless I wanted to meet a lot of cops.

Why they wont walk down the street either in detroit so i acutally think you would be safe from the cops there

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links