LEOSA qualification for non-LEO?

This is a discussion on LEOSA qualification for non-LEO? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Not sure if this is the proper area for this but, I'm going to be applying for the NJ CCW(yes, I know impossible for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEOSA qualification for non-LEO?

Not sure if this is the proper area for this but,

I'm going to be applying for the NJ CCW(yes, I know impossible for a non-LEO), but wanted to know if it's possible to qualify with documentation like what retired-LEOs under LEOSA require to keep their licenses valid?
    I'm trying to get everything possible to help my case(CCWs from several states,exc.) outside of getting mugged or actually changing careers.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Unless you meet the very specific requirements of LEOSA, I'm at a loss to understand what you could possibly do? You just can't create those quals. Am I missing something?

I'm looking for proof of training that would be the same as required for retired officers. It would help blunt their contention that retired LEOs don't have to have a need to carry because of their training qualifications.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Administrator
    I'm not sure what your getting at either, but retiree's at my department still have to qualify the same as current officers (including all legal updates) if they want to carry as an LEO.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    He's asking if it possible for a civilian to go through the required course that LEOS/Retired LESO need to qualify for LEOSA in order to make himself look better on paper for his NJ application...

Not being a LEO, and not being from NJ, and not knowing jack about either process, I'm still inclined to say "Not a snow ball's chance in hell"

Unless you've got some serious friends inside a department there's little to no chance that they'll even let you on the range.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    He's asking if it possible for a civilian (non law enforcement) to go through the required course that LEOs/Retired LEOsneed to qualify for LEOSA in order to make himself look better on paper for his NJ application...

Not being a LEO, and not being from NJ, and not knowing jack about either process, I'm still inclined to say "Not a snow ball's chance in hell"

Unless you've got some serious friends inside a department there's little to no chance that they'll even let you on the range.
    If thats the case, good luck. More than the actual training, its a money issue. If you're carrying under LEOSA, your under a departments financial umbrella too.

I doubt your going to be able to attend an LEO firearms course as a regular Joe, and they probably only accept the states course.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I think your best bet, for what it is worth, would be to contact a security consultant that certifies armed security guards. Even better would be one that is licensed in New Jersey.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

In Montana you can attend POST (Peace Officer Standard Training) training without being a hired a Police officer. You can complete the training and be certified in POST. Once you are certified you make a better candidate for hiring than the next guy since the agency does not have the expense to train you. The class is 12 weeks and a cost of $5,000.

New Jersey is much like Illinois...it's more likely, "Pay to play."
    So, who do you know?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    In Montana you can attend POST (Peace Officer Standard Training) training without being a hired a Police officer. You can complete the training and be certified in POST. Once you are certified you make a better candidate for hiring than the next guy since the agency does not have the expense to train you. The class is 12 weeks and a cost of $5,000.
    You cant even pay your own way here. To take a class, you have to have an agency sponsor you. They pay for the training.

I think your best bet, for what it is worth, would be to contact a security consultant that certifies armed security guards. Even better would be one that is licensed in New Jersey.
    Even an armed security guard wont qualify. You have to be a certified, sworn officer.

As far as I know, you have to complete training, be hired by an agency, be sworn, qualify with a gun and have the appropriate.ID. You have to become a Cop. That is the only way to do it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    +1 on NJ. They allow what are called alternate route recruits, people who haven't been hired as a LEO yet. I'm not sure of the cost, but they go through the entire academy as if they had been hired, which is 20 to 24 weeks long.

I think it would be like retsup said, who do you know? And just what area of NJ are we talking about? That could be a big part of it also. Even though GGs in Camden, Newark, etc, need CCW, they are less likely IMO to get them than someone who probably has less of a chance of every needing CCW in the less urban areas of the state. YMMV.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

He's asking if it possible for a civilian to go through the required course that LEOS/Retired LESO need to qualify for LEOSA in order to make himself look better on paper for his NJ application...

That's what I'm looking for. I did find someone who does the qualification for NJ retired police and also does the NRA-type classes as well. It's like 50 or 60 bucks for a few hours consisting of rules of force for civilians, along with range scores.
    I'm waiting to hear back if I can just pay the fee, take the course and get documentation.
    The NJ gov't already told me the NRA basic pistol was enough proof of training for the non-LEO CCW.
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    I'm looking for proof of training that would be the same as required for retired officers. It would help blunt their contention that retired LEOs don't have to have a need to carry because of their training qualifications.
    Unfortunately for you, the ONE "proof of training" required of retired officers which you CANNOT produce as a "civilian" seeking CCW justification is the FIFTEEN (15) years law enforcement experience! I suggest you take another approach on your application.

You could determine the course of fire as is being administered to law enforcement retirees and document that you fired that under similar conditions, but I believe that, too, would do very little to persuade the permit issuing authorities.

Sorry!

[QUOTE=HotGuns;954218]You cant even pay your own way here. To take a class, you have to have an agency sponsor you. They pay for the training. [QUOTE]

I am 100 percent sure that in Montana you can take the POST class before being hired. If your agency sends you it costs only $1500.00 .

Senior Moderator
    You got to pay 1500 bucks for training out of your own pocket so you can be hired?

HOLY COW. That is crazy.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links