Oh boy, I ran into a doozy of a cop wannabe today.

This is a discussion on Oh boy, I ran into a doozy of a cop wannabe today. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by S.O. Interceptor Why would the thought of detaining someone who is possibly a police impersonator, make you uncomfortable? I never said anything ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh boy, I ran into a doozy of a cop wannabe today.

Quote Originally Posted by S.O. Interceptor
    Why would the thought of detaining someone who is possibly a police impersonator, make you uncomfortable? I never said anything about detaining him because of his accent or the way he spoke. I threw in those details because it helps the reader get a feel for the way that he carried himself. The reason I thought about detaining him was because he had a shirt that positively identified him as a member of the Texas Department of Public Safety's Texas Rangers. It didn't say "Texas Ranger's Baseball", it said "Texas Department of Public Safety-Texas Rangers". The only reason that I didn't detain him was because he made it clear when asked, that he was not a Texas Ranger or a Peace Officer. I still have a feeling that his answer may have been different if he wasn't inside a police department. His appearance would give any reasonably intelligent person the impression that he was a Texas Ranger, mainly due to the fact that he wore attire that positively identified himself as such. That along with the fact that he had openly displayed handcuffs and a handgun holster only made his appearance more realistic. That is all that is required to be impersonating a PO. If he had even hinted at being a PO, or dodged the question when asked, I would've asked to see his DPS issued identification and issued badge. But he was honest up front, so I let it go.

Ok, lets say I am dressed in full USMC MARPAT (BDU's) and I walk into the quarter master on base. I am going in there to buy some new MOLLE gear. Should the MP's detain me to make sure Im a real Marine? Lots of Marines walk around in there with no patches after getting fitted.

After all, I could have gotten on base as a civy with a marine friend.

Like I said. He has a TX ranger shirt on. How about all the non- Vol, fire fighters walking around with "Somewhere-ville VFD" written on them just to show support.

Again, I think the guy was a total fool, and I certainly wouldn't do what he did. But lets look at it in another way.

But your right, if you had asked for ID, thats not really "detaining" him.

With respect
    ~Sig229

2. Remove Ads

I don't know what the UCMJ says about what can and can't be worn on a military installation. But I know that somewhere in it, it says that you can not wear a uniform that identifies you as a member of the armed forces and has a rank insignia on it, if you are not that rank in that branch of the service. I know that if an enlisted man wears a uniform that identifies him as a Colonel, then it's a crime. Or what if I, as a civilian, tried to get onto base by claiming to be an Army Captain. I know that's a crime, just like wearing a shirt that identifies you as a Peace Officer in the state of Texas.

Wearing a VFD isn't specifically mentioned in the Texas Penal Code as a crime, due to the fact that Firemen don't have the powers of arrest, so they can't detain you by merely saying "police, stop". VFDs are volunteer organizations that almost anyone can join, and it's not a crime to wear a shirt identifying yourself as such.

But wearing a shirt that identifies you as a Peace Officer, or has the official logo of a law enforcement department in the state of Texas, is mentioned in the PC as a crime if you are not infact a member of that agency. People can wear shirts that say "NYPD", "New York Police Department", "California Highway Patrol" and thousands of other things, but they can't wear a shirt that identifies them as "San Antonio Police" or any other agency, including the Texas Rangers, if they aren't.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by S.O. Interceptor
    I don't know what the UCMJ says about what can and can't be worn on a military instalation. But I know that somewhere in it, it says that you can not wear a uniform that identifies you as a member of the armed forces and has a rank insignia on it, if you are not that rank in that branch of the service. I know that is an enlisted man wears a uniform that identifies him as a Colonel, then it's a crime. Or what if I, as a civilian, tried to get onto base by claiming to be an Army Captain. I know that's a crime, just like wearing a shirt that identifies you as a Peace Officer in the state of Texas.

Wearing a VFD isn't specifically mentioned in the Texas Penal Code as a crime, due to the fact that Firemen don't have the powers of arrest, so they can't detain you by merely saying "police, stop". VFDs are volunteer organizations that almost anyone can join, and it's not a crime to wear a shirt identifying yourself as such.

But wearing a shirt that identifies you as a Peace Officer, or has the official logo of a law enforcement department in the state of Texas, is mentioned in the PC as a crime if you are not infact a member of that agency. People can wear shirts that say "NYPD", "New York Police Department", "California Highway Patrol" and thousands of other things, but they can't wear a shirt that identifies them as "San Antonio Police" or any other agency, including the Texas Rangers, if they aren't.

Well that would make sense. Not all states have those laws.
    BTW: Do you teach CRJU? I have a friend getting his Masters in that area of study down in good old Texas.

CRJU? Does that mean Criminal Justice? If so, then no, I don't teach anything like that.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

The really beautiful part of life is that posers such as "Ranger Boy" tend to eventually meet up with the real deal - and get dealt with accordingly.

I had an especially pompous (read a**hole) family member who decided once he'd teach my Uncle "how to fight." Well, this was around '68 or so and my Uncle was home on leave - and a Sgt. on active duty in the 173rd. Three guesses what the outcome of that little "lesson" was.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by maclean3
    The really beautiful part of life is that posers such as "Ranger Boy" tend to eventually meet up with the real deal - and get dealt with accordingly.

I had an especially pompous (read a**hole) family member who decided once he'd teach my Uncle "how to fight." Well, this was around '68 or so and my Uncle was home on leave - and a Sgt. on active duty in the 173rd. Three guesses what the outcome of that little "lesson" was.
    Jack

LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links