Oh boy, I ran into a doozy of a cop wannabe today.

This is a discussion on Oh boy, I ran into a doozy of a cop wannabe today. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today I was in a PD several counties away. While I was waiting for an officer to come out and speak to me, a car ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Today I was in a PD several counties away. While I was waiting for an officer to come out and speak to me, a car parked right outside the front door, and a man stepped out. This man was a tall lanky redneck type of guy, with a cowboy hat that very closely resembled that of a DPS Trooper, and a well trimmed mustache that hung just over the edge of his mouth. He had on a tucked in polo style shirt that had "Texas Department of Public Safety-Texas Rangers" embroidered on the chest. He also had on a hand cuff case and hand cuffs, a badge that I was not familiar with, but looked as if it were a circle with a star in the center of it(DPS/Ranger style) but the star and circle were mounted on a regular shield style badge with the eagle on the top. And to top it off, he had an empty holster on his hip. He walked in the office right past me, but I wasn't able to read what his badge said, but I got a look at it, and like I said, it looked like a Ranger badge soldered onto the top of a regular shield. As he walked by, he told the receptionist, in his best Clint Eastwood outlaw spaghetti western type of voice(I kid you not) "Young lady, I need some help". She asked what he needed, but then he just grabbed the map book off of the counter, and said "This here is what I was needin, thank ya kindly", and proceeded to look up a local street. The receptionist then went in the back(I think she was telling the officers that a Ranger was here). I couldn't help myself, and asked him if there was anything I might be able to help him with. He looked at me, and said(in that same spaghetti western type voice) "No son, I'm just trying to track someone down. I can handle it". Okey dokey then. Once again, I couldn't help it. I asked if he was a Texas Ranger. He then said in that same voice, but with a slight edge on it as if I was going to be impressed, "No sir, I'm a private investigator". Then he put down the map book back on the shelf and walked past me again. This time I could read part of a word that I believe was "investigator" on his badge. He walked outside, got in his car, and left. When an officer stepped out from the back, I was trying my best not to laugh my butt off. He asked if I was the Ranger, and I said "No, the 'Ranger' just left to track him down some bad guys". He asked what was so funny and I told him. The officer just gave a "***?" type of look and then carried on. Apparently he wasn't too worried about the guy since he didn't claim to be a cop.

Now granted, this really isn't funny, but if you had been there, you would've laughed. Part of me thought I should detain him, but then I didn't think I should since I was 60+ miles from home, and the guy never did say he was a Ranger. But his shirt was darn convincing. Throw in the badge and a gun(I'm assuming he wore it at some point), and you've got one convincing impersonator. What the hell is wrong with some people? Who the hell was he going to cuff or shoot?
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

Them people bother me the wanna be's

Assistant Administrator
    Sounds like he had (at very least) a possible over-inflated sense of self importance LOL!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Why do people attach this "mystique" to the police and military? Don't get me wrong I ain't got nothin' but respect for those professions, and in a funny way I really empathize with the police sometimes (we share a lot of similarities even if the job descriptions are completely different), but come on, it's some of the most mundane work there is.

Ever see a cop that doesn't have literal or figurative dirt under his fingernails? On TV maybe. It's work, it's hard, 12 hour shifts, sweat inducing stress inducing mental and physical work.

Maybe it's just because I've known LEOs and can see the mundane nature of their existence. My cousin Danny can't wait for his shift as a sheriff's deputy to end so he can go home and eat a Philly Cheesesteak sandwich and drink a beer in his boxer shorts. They're people devoted to doing a job, a special job mind you, but a job all the same. There is no TV drama style glory in it at all.

But honestly it's like impersonating the garbage man or pretending to be a stockbroker... why?

At best it's moronic, at worst it is quite dangerous as it presents a public hazard.

Lead Moderator
    People talk like that in real life? Amazing!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Personaly i just dont undrestand S.O.'s attitude i mean hell this feller obviously had his " go to the bbq " leather and manners" , if he wasnt a ranger hell he had the act down fine ( rangers had asps first cause they could deploy em over the sholder of others and get the choice cuts at a bbq ) rangers are a force untoo themselves ( who else on a cop budget can afford that " full coverage nickle plated 1911" especialy with them genuine beat from peso silver grips lol ) and as far as the private investigator stuff goes as he said " son " you just gotta be there to appreciate the dangers of chasing that public record document at the courthouse .. its rough to do but gives us old hands something to have bragging rights on that you " young pups" cannot identify with , i mean hell none of the civillians can identify with the issues of being a PO right ?? Anyway SO yall should feel privilaged to be exposed to such a stellar ( i bet his holster was either black basketweave or a high dollar one like an allisi ) personage such as this , ya know we can all count our blessings now

( posted firmly tounge in cheek as not only a former le but an active pi in colorado ) lol

Lead Moderator
    You should have called out to him"I love your show, say hi to Walker for me" like they did on King of the Hill. LOL. Some folks really are difficult to take seriously. I imagine sooner or later trouble will find him.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    You should have called out to him"I love your show, say hi to Walker for me" like they did on King of the Hill. LOL. Some folks really are difficult to take seriously. I imagine sooner or later trouble will find him.
    Oh man, now that's funny, I don't care who you are. But now I'm mad because I haven't seen that episode yet.

It's a good thing he was not in F.L.
    That five pointed star would get him aressted for
    impersonating a Sheriff's deputy.

I don't get the impression that being a LEO is the most mundane work there is. I'm not a LEO but I interact with them on a daily basis. To say that every cop is waiting to get to his sandwhich and beer is a gross generalization. I see a cross section of Federal, State and Local on a National basis and I'd never describe them as mundane.

Some people are never satisfied with who they are. I've seen several military posers get exposed. Sometimes it's guys that have done some good stuff in their career that anyone would be proud of. They fluuf the resume. The one thing they seem to all have in common is low self-esteem.

S.O. ...
    I hope someone calls out your 'Texas Ranger'. Whether he's harmless or not he's trying to create an image of who he is by his Ranger shirt. An image that is false. In doing so he, more than likely, gets a little more cooperation from some and he probably intimidates some sheeple. He's a loser.

I had a guy come in to interview for a job once that wore a Special Forces pin on the lapel of his suit. I asked him about his pin he told me he was an 18 year SF vet. I asked him a couple questions. He lied. I called him on it. He confessed. I told him there was no reason to continue the interview and asked him to give me the pin he was wearing. He did. The funniest part was that he actually called me a month later and asked to borrow $15k. No kidding. Just can't explain the mind of a poser.
    "May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent

Lead Moderator
    Sad how some of em are really. Funniest guy I ever met , claimed to be SF outta Fort Bragg. This guy was atleast 60 lb. overweight and sure wasn't in the military at all. Later I found out he was passing out business cards claiming he was a detective for the SD. Another claimed to be a Helo pilot in the Marines. He couldn't remember what kind of chopper he flew though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rgr5280
    I don't get the impression that being a LEO is the most mundane work there is. I'm not a LEO but I interact with them on a daily basis. To say that every cop is waiting to get to his sandwhich and beer is a gross generalization. I see a cross section of Federal, State and Local on a National basis and I'd never describe them as mundane.
    I'm not saying that either, I was pointing out that once one particular officer who I know gets off work, he's a regular working stiff just like anybody. I am saying that it's real honest to goodness work, and it's still a profession even though it's a special profession.

Cops or marshals or deputies put their pants on one leg at a time just like the rest of us do, and they deal with noncompliant people all day long cleaning up other people's messes. There is no Hollywood drama, there are no massive waves of clearly identified bad guys in black balaclavas repelling down from the rafters, there are no James Bond supervillains. There are only real people dealing with real problems that require the help of professionals, and oftimes these are very dangerous situations.

I suppose mundane is a bad word then, because the reality of life is much richer and meaningful than any fictionalized account of it. Perhaps "practical" would have been a better choice.

To me it's like wanting to pretend you're a civil engineer... why? Wearing a badge and pretending to be an officer is akin to waving around a stack of spreadsheets and pretending to be an accountant. You're not impressing anybody either way, quite the opposite.

Yet there are flocks of people it seems wanting to pretend they're law enforcement. What's the attraction that brings in the wannabes?

Quote Originally Posted by Rgr5280
    The one thing they seem to all have in common is low self-esteem.
    That seems to be the answer however.

Euc...I'm tracking with you now and I agree 100%.
    "May God be with you and may the devil be crushed underfoot as you march for peace on the skulls of our enemies, for goodwill, security and a quality of life that comes only with democracy, " - Ted Nugent

The guy sounded like a tool.
    Nothing personal, but you thinking of detaining him just for a t-shirt and an accent doesn't make me feel too comfortable either.

"Part of me thought I should detain him, but then I didn't think I should since I was 60+ miles from home"

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229
    The guy sounded like a tool.
    Nothing personal, but you thinking of detaining him just for a t-shirt and an accent doesn't make me feel too comfortable either.
    Why would the thought of detaining someone who is possibly a police impersonator, make you uncomfortable? I never said anything about detaining him because of his accent or the way he spoke. I threw in those details because it helps the reader get a feel for the way that he carried himself. The reason I thought about detaining him was because he had a shirt that positively identified him as a member of the Texas Department of Public Safety's Texas Rangers. It didn't say "Texas Ranger's Baseball", it said "Texas Department of Public Safety-Texas Rangers". The only reason that I didn't detain him was because he made it clear when asked, that he was not a Texas Ranger or a Peace Officer. I still have a feeling that his answer may have been different if he wasn't inside a police department. His appearance would give any reasonably intelligent person the impression that he was a Texas Ranger, mainly due to the fact that he wore attire that positively identified himself as such. That along with the fact that he had openly displayed handcuffs and a handgun holster only made his appearance more realistic. That is all that is required to be impersonating a PO. If he had even hinted at being a PO, or dodged the question when asked, I would've asked to see his DPS issued identification and issued badge. But he was honest up front, so I let it go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links