Curious if anyone can shed some insight.

This is a discussion on Curious if anyone can shed some insight. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This happened to me this last Monday when I was returning home from my mother's house, about a 260 mile trip give or take. Anyway ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curious if anyone can shed some insight.

This happened to me this last Monday when I was returning home from my mother's house, about a 260 mile trip give or take.

Anyway I had pulled past the halfway point, where I'd stopped to eat thankfully (see why in a second), and I was about 20 miles from home when I was pulled over.

So anyway I got my little red truck onto the shoulder, and it went something like this-

Good afternoon can I see your license and proof of insurance? (as he's checking my stickers)

Sure but before we get started I am obligated to tell you I have a concealed handgun license.

Do you have a weapon in your possession right now?

Yes I do officer.

Put it on the dashboard slowly.

Would you like me to clear it?

No that won't be necessary.

So I place it up there gingerly with the muzzle pointing at the shoulder of the road. Anyway I dig out the insurance card the state requires and show him my IDs and he takes them all.

Keep your hands on your steering wheel where I can see them.

So I do. He's gone about 8 minutes or so. Nothing unusual so far, and I figure he's going to come back and tell me what I did.

He comes back but doesn't bring my credentials back with him. He wants to know again who I am where I live where I work. I tell him and he goes back. He was being nice about it, but my hands are starting to cramp slightly after having to hold them in place for so long, and he had his sidearm indexed the whole time.

He's gone about 10 minutes and comes back again and I can see another officer is in the patrol car and is standing behind him. And he wants to know where I've been and where I'm going and I tell him. He asks me if I can prove it, and luckily I have the receipt for my lunch and I hand it to him so he can see the time and day stamp, not to mention it shows it was where I said it was. I then mention since it's a credit card receipt I can show him the card that matches those exact numbers.

He takes the receipt and goes back to the car and gets in for about 9 or 10 minutes, then comes back with the receipt and my credentials. I am then asked to unload my weapon and put it away, so I do, and then they let me go.

I look at the clock and I've been there about 28 minutes, stopped on the side of the road, and not that I'm complaining, but I was issued no ticket or citation and I didn't feel like asking stupid questions and wasting more time.

I thought it was kind of weird, and a little strange. I was wondering if anyone here could tell me why they might have proceeded that way?

Lead Moderator
    My guess is that something happened and you and/or your vehicle matched some kind of general discription. How's that for a SWAG?
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Thumbs up Yup

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle
    My guess is that something happened and you and/or your vehicle matched some kind of general discription. How's that for a SWAG?
    Sounds like a winner to me, unless you live in Miami FL. Then it's a rookie cop that is a product of the antigun school curriculums...but don't get me started on THAT!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Assistant Administrator
    My thinking too Euc - they were running checks in considerable detail as a result of trying to find someone.

Probably just your bad luck something matched a description - vehicle most likely. That's a long time to be stuck waiting tho - with no explanations.

I would have hoped at very least when they (eventually) left you to go on your way - they could have said something. Book it down to experience!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Any idea as to why they had you unload your gun?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Lead Moderator
    Most like you were mistaken for someone else. Almost happened to me once, they were looking for a armed robber. Luckily I worked PD at the time and was pulled over by an officer who knew me.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe
    Any idea as to why they had you unload your gun?

I'd say that they did this to ensure that he wouldn't have a loaded gun with him for just long enough for them to get away. I get disgruntled when I'm hassled for no reason. I'm sure they sensed his tension.

If I was a COP, I might feel a little nervous about someone with a hot gun, especially when I'm out looking for a BG, which is likely what they were doing.

As for the similar looking vehicle. It reminded me of a story about a guy I knew in the Corps. He was drunk at a party, and got hungry, so he goes to In and Out to get some food. Coincidentally, cops were looking for a truck that looked like his. They questioned him and realized he was 3 sheets to the wind. He got to spend the night in the clink wearing nothing but Boxer Shorts.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Senior Moderator
    I am going to bet they were looking for a similar vehicle - otherwise why would they care where he had been?

Matt

Well I really didn't think much of it... wasn't in a real hurry and was mostly glad nothing came of it.

I thought unloading it was weird too, because I offered to clear it the first time and he said it wasn't necessary. I figured if they were nervous about me they'd have just taken possession of the firearm for the duration of the interaction, which a peace officer is allowed to do under Texas laws.

Usually, unless they're going to give you some guff about having a gun (in antigun spots), most officers don't even bother telling you to put it on the dashboard, and most of the ones that do just want it where they can see it and don't care if it's loaded or not.

Not like it mattered, I got caught in a long red light and had it reloaded and reholstered within 10 minutes anyway.

I guess that must be it, I matched someone else's description. The officer was nice about it though, but didn't offer any sort of explanation.

VIP Member
    Looks like the other have it nailed in that you/your vehicle fit the description of someone they were looking for, but asking you to unload your gun after they had already determined you weren't the person they were after is strange. The only reason I can think of is his personal feelings about civilians carrying guns.

I recall reading another story online where a permitholder was pulled over in mistaken identity - the person the police were after was involved in a shooting, so here they had a guy who met the description and was armed! They sniffed at his gun, which smelled like gun oil instead of freshly-fired gunpowder, which helped the cops let the man go sooner. After reading that, I always make sure I clean my carry guns after range trips before I go out in public with them.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lead Moderator
    Were you wearing a "Free Manson " shirt?

It does sort of sound like they mistook you for someone else.

BUT, if I stopped a car that matched the description of a suspect vehicle, I sure as heck wouldn't just walk up and start looking at stickers. I would have the driver get out, instructing him to keep his hands where I could see them. Then detain him, check for weapons, and varify identity. I wouldn't let him handle his own weapon and then leave it on the dash within easy reach.

Also, once you've found that you've made a mistake, you aplogize and inform the person of why you stopped them. There is no shame in admitting a case of mistaken identity and that you chose to err on the side of caution, which inconvenienced an innocent person. It happens. They should've explained themselves to you.
    Rest In Peace Dad! I love you!!!

Yeah, being told to get out and spread 'em while getting cuffed would have ruined my day I admit, but at least it would make some sense. If they'd thought I was someone else I'm surprised they didn't at least ask for me to fork over the gun.

I'm used to the old "show your insurance and ID while I look at your stickers" routine. The last time I was pulled over the officer did the same thing and then came back and told me I was going 7 mph too fast and gave me a warning ticket.

I'm not complaining, he wasn't rude about it at all, it was just strange. Bad hunch maybe, or some kind of problem with their equipment? I admit it piqued my curiousity but when I was cleared to leave and wasn't given a ticket or arrested, I decided not to push my luck!

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Jarhead In and Out Burgers. Now there is a blast from my past. You must have been stationed in Calif. Great burgers and you could smell them blocks away.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

In Texas is your CCW recorded with the DMV like it is in NC?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links