A US Senator has been stopped by Border Patrol

This is a discussion on A US Senator has been stopped by Border Patrol within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Statment Of Sen. Leahy On The DHS Fiscal Year 2009 Budget Statement Of Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) ... It’s interesting - I went through one ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A US Senator has been stopped by Border Patrol

A US Senator has been stopped by Border Patrol

Statment Of Sen. Leahy On The DHS Fiscal Year 2009 Budget

Statement Of Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.)

... It’s interesting - I went through one of those symbolic checkpoints in the state of New York driving back here. It was about 125 miles from the border. In a car with license plate one on it from Vermont. With little letters underneath it that said US Senate. We were stopped and ordered to get out of the car and prove my citizenship. And I said “what authority are you acting under?” and one of your agents pointed to his gun and said “that’s all the authority I need.” Encouraging way to enter our country.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    so was he upset at a stop being made on anyone, or that his US Senator plate didn't work in allowing him to pass freely?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by GettingOld2 View Post
    And I said “what authority are you acting under?” and one of your agents pointed to his gun and said “that’s all the authority I need.” Encouraging way to enter our country.
    I doubt very seriously the agent said that. Sometimes, when you don't get your way, you have a tendency to make up things.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Senator Leahy must have gotten mouthy, I have to pass through a BP checkpoint everytime I go to Las Cruces. The guys at the checkpoint just ask if I'm an American citizen, and I continue on my way.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

I pass thru the falfurrias checkpoint about 60 miles north of the border in Tx about every 6 months,they ask are you a US citizen I say yup and I continue,the last time he wasn't even watching me,I think they had a BP agent in the dark watching approaching cars and somebody musta threw contraband out cause they picked it up and signalled them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Depending on who you ask, you aren't obligated to tell them your citizenship when they stop you. I'm of the opinion the BP needs to stick to the border and stop harassing motorists miles from the border of whom 99.999% are law abiding tax paying citizens. I have tough time believing these harassment points are the best use of their time and effort when the border is a sieve like it is.

Leahy complains about a system he participates in. The Border Patrol, like every other federal agency, competes for money, they convinced Congress to spend money to build and provide man hours to staff those border stops not only along the border but on major highways from the border. The premise seems to be how to get money that they can spend, whether or not they're effective is a tertiary concern to spending money and being manned/staffed to do the "mission".
    Desperate people do desperate things in desperate situations.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Kimber Tactical Custom II, SIS Pro

I have been stopped at similar checkpoints in upstate New York. At one point coming back from a hunting trip, they had the Interstate blocked about 50 miles or so south of the Canadian border. I had not crossed the border. All they asked is if I was a citizen. They did not ask for proof/ID.

If I understand it right, ICE has the authority to ask for proof of citizenship/visa along the borders. It gets a bit iffy how far inland the zone goes, and how it applies around sea ports and airports.

US citizens have been detained and even deported at times. This happens in particular at the southern border. For related news stories:

McClatchy Washington Bureau | 01/24/2008 | Immigration officials detaining, deporting American citizens
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/14/we...14preston.html
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

VIP Member
    I intensely dislike these interior checkpoints. I don't have a hard time believing that the officer pointed to his gun as his authority, and it is entirely believable that some in those positions are too low IQ to recognize and read a special plate--or to follow their instructions and regulations.

In any case, the Senator partially deserves what he got. Same for the Critters who have been prevented from boarding airplanes because their names were on watch lists. They complain publicly about what happens, but go back to Congress and don't lift a finger to change things.

A guy with this Senator's clout could almost single handedly make certain the abuses don't happen. Ted K. before he got sick could have taken vigorous steps in coordination with the handful of other Critters stopped by TSA, to force a more reasonable and responsibly managed no fly list. They didn't. Let them experience what the rest of the citizenry goes through as a result of their actions.

Anyway, BP needs to stay on the border. 125 miles inland is not acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

Anyway, BP needs to stay on the border. 125 miles inland is not acceptable.

I'll disagree. I don't live anywhere near a "border" and we have waaaaayy too many illegals around here. I'll bet they have 'em in places like Ohio too. I'm not ready to say that if you sneak past the enforcement at the border you're home free.

But that might just be me.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by GettingOld2 View Post
    Statment Of Sen. Leahy On The DHS Fiscal Year 2009 Budget

Statement Of Senator Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.)

... It’s interesting - I went through one of those symbolic checkpoints in the state of New York driving back here. It was about 125 miles from the border. In a car with license plate one on it from Vermont. With little letters underneath it that said US Senate. We were stopped and ordered to get out of the car and prove my citizenship. And I said “what authority are you acting under?” and one of your agents pointed to his gun and said “that’s all the authority I need.” Encouraging way to enter our country.
    So what would it take to get BP to pick up the rest of the politicians and send them back to where they came from ()? It seems to me that under 100 Senators and 435 Representatives would be easier to round up and ship out than 12-20 million illegal aliens.

Just a thought...
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I am just flabberghasted that Leahy seems to be rather clueless as to the authority of the BP.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

VIP Member

Leahy not clueless

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    I am just flabberghasted that Leahy seems to be rather clueless as to the authority of the BP.
    I think you misconstrue the purpose of his question to the BP officer. Leahy is the senior person on the Judiciary Committee, a lawyer all of his adult life as well, and no doubt knows exactly what authority the BP officer had.

The BP officer was clueless. When asked by what authority he was acting, all he could think to say was "his gun."

The word that describes this (hopefully former) agent is thug.

I'm inclined to believe Leahy.

Fast Facts 2008

Favorite Super Hero: Batman
    How can you question the honesty of an adult man willing to admit he idolizes another adult man in a body hugging costume.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I think you misconstrue the purpose of his question to the BP officer. Leahy is the senior person on the Judiciary Committee, a lawyer all of his adult life as well, and no doubt knows exactly what authority the BP officer had.

The BP officer was clueless. When asked by what authority he was acting, all he could think to say was "his gun."

The word that describes this (hopefully former) agent is thug.

And what if it turns out the Border Patrol Agent said no such thing? What if it turns out that the politiician...and I now this is a shocking idea...was bending the truth to suit his own ends? What of the Border Patrol Agent then? Is he still a thug? How do we know exactly what he said? What made you decide the politician is telling the truth and BPA is not?

I've certainly heard LEO's make stupid remarks like that. In almost 2 decades of working in law enforcement I've encountered far too many bullies with a badge. A minority, to be sure, but one is too many. I've also seen more politicians than I can count lie to suit their own ends. In this case, I don't see where we have any way of knowing for sure one way or the other. I'm not going to label the BPA a "thug" or the Senator a "liar" since I wasn't there. I thought that was the way it was supposed to work.

If there is something that proves the BPA made a remark like that, he should be disciplined accordingly. If there is something that proves the Senator lied, especially while making a public statement, he should be censured. So, what information did you use to determine which one was lying?
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

VIP Member

Well one of them is not telling the truth

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo View Post
    And what if it turns out the Border Patrol Agent said no such thing?

If there is something that proves the BPA made a remark like that, he should be disciplined accordingly. If there is something that proves the Senator lied, especially while making a public statement, he should be censured. So, what information did you use to determine which one was lying?
    Gonzo
    Well one of them isn't telling the truth.

And I've lived on this earth long enough to have experienced enough to find the senator's story believable. The reaction, "this is my authority" while pointing to the gun is all too common an experience for citizens. I've been on the wrong end of that deal too. So, I as you, get to chose whom we will believe.

In any event Leahy has a fairly sterling reputation and the highest of positions in the US Senate. His car carried (per the story) distinctive plates. At best the officer was not paying attention. And that makes the rest of his story suspect.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links