Non gun question for a LEO...

This is a discussion on Non gun question for a LEO... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Traffic stop etiquette: You decide to pull me over on a freeway ramp or other sharp curve. Having spent time working parking my ambulance on ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Non gun question for a LEO...

Non gun question for a LEO...

Traffic stop etiquette: You decide to pull me over on a freeway ramp or other sharp curve. Having spent time working parking my ambulance on the side of freeways to work scenes, I realize that anyplace on a freeway is dangerous, but curves and places with small shoulders even more so. Curves give oncoming idiots, err I mean "drivers" less time to react from the time they see you.

So the question: I would want to keep driving (maybe slowed down so as not to appear like I'm evading or ignoring) until I'm somewhere more visible from longer distances (and/or to a place with a bigger shoulder so I can pull way over for your safety). Are you, the cop, going to be

a) even a little grateful that I thought of you
    b) indifferent
    c) annoyed that I drove for 1/2 a mile instead of stopping right away

I wouldn't expect special treatment or anything, but I don't want to tick you off either.

OTOH, I haven't been pulled over in a lot of years so maybe it doesn't matter.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Sixto will tell you to stop right here right now, that's why he hit the blue and reds, the rest of us will rationalize driving to a safer spot. Maybe Retsup is looking for a wide spot on the road.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Probably true. I suppose if the cop were concerned with about it, He'd hit the lights a little further down the road.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I'd get on the horn and tell you to move forward to a safe position if you didn't.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

We train our people to plan their stops where they are at the best tactical advantage and the safest location. However, when you hit the red/blues you have no idea where the idiot, er driver, will decide to pull over no matter how much you've planned. I've had them lock up the tires in the middle of a 6 lane highway at rush hour. Had others cut across all lanes of traffic to get to the other side to stop. Had people drive straight off into a ditch at 65 MPH. Had one running over 100 mph on the interstate when I hit the lights make a hard right and hit a snow bank without hitting the brakes. Launched him like he was Evil Kneivel. Had them pull on exit ramps and stop right in the middle of the lane. No matter where you plan to pull them over the fact remains it's the guy driving the car you are trying to stop who picks the location. It's then that you can usually, note the word 'usually', get them to move to a safer location.
    183 FBINA

Senior Moderator
    I don't ever hit the light unless its in a safe location. Like ispcapt states, you never can tell what a driver is going to do. If it the least bit questionable as to the safety of the stop, I'll just let them drive a little further until its safe to pull over. No driving infraction is worth the driver or myself getting killed over.

If a driver does stop in a hazardous area, I'll get on the PA and advise them to move on an pull off at the next parking lot, road, turnoff or whatever it may be.

If you think that the area is hazardous and not a good place to stop, turn on your blinker to signal a turn and point forward. The cop will know what you are doing and follow you. Of course you must use common sense here. Driving 5 miles to a potential stop isn't smart.

On the interstate, pull over as far as possible and dont pull over on the median side.Pull over where you are supposed to pull over.

I usually approach the passenger side for the simple reason that I enjoy life. Not to mention if its dark they are always looking through the wrong window and I can see right into their car without fear of getting run over. You'd be surprised how many times I have seen passengers stuffing things they werent suppose to have under the seat while I was right there watching them.

Of course, the advise I have given works well here, but in Sixto's turf or in the ispcapts turf it may be different and they may perceive that you are refusing to stop. That could get you hurt or embarrassed, not to mention additional charges.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Sixto will tell you to stop right here right now, that's why he hit the blue and reds, the rest of us will rationalize driving to a safer spot. Maybe Retsup is looking for a wide spot on the road.
    Huh. I didnt know that. Thanks for answering for me.

Funny thing is, the two other guys who are actually LEO's said the same thing I have in the past and would've here too.

I like your signature line too BTW.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Guess the old memory is failing, I thought I remembered you from another thread saying if you hit the lights, you meant stop. Anyhow, my new years resolution was to try to be more psycic.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    If you think that the area is hazardous and not a good place to stop, turn on your blinker to signal a turn and point forward. The cop will know what you are doing and follow you. Of course you must use common sense here. Driving 5 miles to a potential stop isn't smart.
    That's what I was thinking. Turn on the blinkers, slow down a bit. Basically let the officer know you're not running away.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Huh. I didnt know that. Thanks for answering for me.

Funny thing is, the two other guys who are actually LEO's said the same thing I have in the past and would've here too.

I like your signature line too BTW.
    Maybe it was the reply to this thread that gives rise to why someone might think you want someone to stop "immediately"

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ce-my-chl.html

Thats what your supposed to do. Wouldnt you be ticked if that was your stolen car, or the guy who broke into your home and you found out he was stopped for a minor traffic issue and wasnt ID'd?

The only thing I see wrong was that Paco didnt pull over immediatly. Had the LEO wanted you to wait for a different place to pull over, he would have waited to to turn his lights on, or directed you to do so. The lights mean stop, and move over to the right now, not when you feel like it. You are doing the LEO no favor by choosing a "safe" place to stop. Thats the LEO's job.
    Look at it this way; you had no idea why he was pulling you over, so how do you know that he wsnt trying to get around you to go else where? If that had been the case, you wasted a lot of time when seconds matter.

Other than that, it sounded good to me.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    That's what I was thinking. Turn on the blinkers, slow down a bit. Basically let the officer know you're not running away.
    Also turn on interior light and put up your right hand so the LEO know that you see him. The Leo will then back off your rear bumper. Most people do not notice the flashing lights until LEO are on top of your rear bumper. Natural reaction is to hit the brake when see the lights. This causes the LEO to slam on his brake so they do not rear end your vehicle. Not happy LEO at that point on. Traffic stop when from bad to worse. By giving a simple vawe and pulling over when it is safe for everybody without driving the rest of the way home. Most LEO will see your both hands on the wheel and interior light on will ask something like" How did you know to pull all the way to the right or Why did you pull offf the road into the parking lot?" Insert here--> My brother,sister, friend sixto is a LEo and they aslway tought me to put on interior light and pull off the road as far as possible for your safety. Most LEO's in NYC area will ask to you have a PBA card or anything from your XXXX. Yes, right here or I can get them on the phone if you wish. Only once had LEO who knew my friend call him at home. No answer. Finally found PBA card and I was on my way.

Administrator
    I most certainly did say pull over immediately, and meant it. However, if you wait to long and now in a bad spot, common sense should prevail. Don't stop in a blind curve, on a hill etc... you need to stop immediatly when the overheads come on. I'm not going to turn them on to stop you in a bad spot, if we end up in one, its your fault. Follow the others advice here fix it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Also turn on interior light and put up your right hand so the LEO know that you see him. The Leo will then back off your rear bumper. Most people do not notice the flashing lights until LEO are on top of your rear bumper. Natural reaction is to hit the brake when see the lights. This causes the LEO to slam on his brake so they do not rear end your vehicle. Not happy LEO at that point on. Traffic stop when from bad to worse. By giving a simple vawe and pulling over when it is safe for everybody without driving the rest of the way home. Most LEO will see your both hands on the wheel and interior light on will ask something like" How did you know to pull all the way to the right or Why did you pull offf the road into the parking lot?" Insert here--> My brother,sister, friend sixto is a LEo and they aslway tought me to put on interior light and pull off the road as far as possible for your safety. Most LEO's in NYC area will ask to you have a PBA card or anything from your XXXX. Yes, right here or I can get them on the phone if you wish. Only once had LEO who knew my friend call him at home. No answer. Finally found PBA card and I was on my way.
    One of the local SD back up in the panhandle has a link on their web on what to do when you get lit up. I'm sure most never read it but it was data.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Mea culpa, I wish I would have slowed down and typed "I bet" in front of my post.

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post

I most certainly did say pull over immediately, and meant it. However, if you wait to long and now in a bad spot, common sense should prevail. Don't stop in a blind curve, on a hill etc... you need to stop immediatly when the overheads come on. I'm not going to turn them on to stop you in a bad spot, if we end up in one, its your fault. Follow the others advice here fix it.
    I agree, if I stopped you I waited for the safest spot for both of us, me and you, to turn on my lights, then you should pull over. Like SIXTO said, I'm not going to wait for a bad spot, and I'm thinking ahead, I know it takes a little time for everything to register and you to stop. Therefore I turn them on when we are at a good spot with "recognition time" being taken into account.

I don't ever hit the light unless its in a safe location. Like ispcapt states, you never can tell what a driver is going to do. If it the least bit questionable as to the safety of the stop, I'll just let them drive a little further until its safe to pull over. No driving infraction is worth the driver or myself getting killed over.

If a driver does stop in a hazardous area, I'll get on the PA and advise them to move on an pull off at the next parking lot, road, turnoff or whatever it may be.
    I agree with Hotguns on this too, basically the same principle.
    My heroes are Veterans and My Father (who was a veteran).

I believe prayer and the Pledge of Allegiance should have REMAINED in schools, and the Ten Commandments should have REMAINED in schools, courthouses, and everywhere else it was before the ACLU got involved.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links