Another "shot in the back" thread

This is a discussion on Another "shot in the back" thread within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here is an interesting video of a police shooting. Whadda you think? I say its a great example for watching everything....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Another "shot in the back" thread

Administrator

Another "shot in the back" thread

Here is an interesting video of a police shooting. Whadda you think?

I say its a great example for watching everything.
    Attached Files
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

If police ...

I also didn't see the start of the situation, so I don't know if this guy is a criminal, or if those two are officers, or what the man's offenses were, so assuming this video is what it purports to be ...

Apparently, the man with the rifle didn't interpret "Put the gun down!" to mean he should have put both his guns down (the rifle and the pistol). It didn't seem as though he was given much time to comply, but then he could have brought the pistol to bear in an instant. Seems appropriate.

This video makes one thing patently clear: perspective is everything. The view from the camera lens is one thing, but the view from the vantage point of the man at the corner of the building is taking in the full threat from the moment the pistol is drawn.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Wow. He's lucky he had backup there.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

VIP Member
    I take it this was some sort of training...?
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Administrator
    nope, real deal.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Wow, it took me a second but i did notice the gun in his hand later. Wow that is just completly mind boggling. Sixto great post. I am working on a commission right now and things like this are just intense in my mind right now. Thanks for the wake up.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

VIP Member
    The officers just seem to walk rather casually up to the guy, one even reholstering his weapon, when the suspect still has the gun in his hand. I'm not an officer, but it just seemed a little unsafe.

But back to the point of the thread... shot in the back or not it is surely a justified shoot.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

I think I'm gladder than hell I'm not a LEO. Having been in a combat zone and under fire, I can attest to the fact that once the adrenalin hits, you act based upon your training. If you wait to react, you might wind up dead. Your focus narrows, and you don't have time to mull over several alternatives before you act. Hindsight is always 20/20 and Monday morning quarterbacks are never wrong.

There's not enough information to determine if the shoot was good or not. Period.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Administrator
    Yes, they are police.

As for the safety aspect of the thread, there are other cover officers outside of view of the camera. Yeah, they let their guard down a little quick, but like already noted, thats not what the thread is about.

Watching everything and things are not what the always appear is.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post

There's not enough information to determine if the shoot was good or not. Period.
    Theres not? Did you not watch the video, or do you have a really small moniter?
    "Just blame Sixto"

I took me two times to watch this. I have a 22" wide screen monitor. Even after I used the full screen option, screen was fuzzy, but I finally saw the pistol. Good thing there was an LEO in behind the BG.

I'd say it was a clear shoot.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Note to self: If ever holding a rifle and being ordered by officers to "Put the gun down" do not attempt to draw pistol while complying.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    I think I'm gladder than hell I'm not a LEO. Having been in a combat zone and under fire, I can attest to the fact that once the adrenalin hits, you act based upon your training. If you wait to react, you might wind up dead. Your focus narrows, and you don't have time to mull over several alternatives before you act. Hindsight is always 20/20 and Monday morning quarterbacks are never wrong.

..........................Divebum47, I didn't see the BG go for his handgun till I watched the vidio twice. It was a good shoot.

Theres not? Did you not watch the video, or do you have a really small moniter?
    I watched several times, and at full screen. I heard one of the officers yell, "gun". I did not see the perp point the gun, nor could I determine from the video whether or not the perp was trying to aim the pistol or pulling it from his belt in order to lay it down on the ground.

If I were on a board of inquiry, and had only the video upon which to base my opinion, I would not be able to come to a valid conclusion. For example, I would not know if the perp was involved in a shoot, a robbery, or why he was being chased.

It was not evident that there were other undercover officers out of the the range of the camera until you said there were.

Based solely on the video, still hold that there is not enough information to determine a good or bad shoot. At least not for me. Period. But then I'm not a cop, never have been, don't want to be. My only "experience" was in a free fire zone in the early 70's, and I didn't have to justify my actions to a civilian review board or to IAD.

If it were entirely up to me, and there were room for error, I would err on the side of the cops. But in reality, that doesn't necessarily represent a majority of those who would sit in judgment. I'm not good at Monday morning quarterbacking. You asked,
    Whadda you think?
    . Right or wrong, that's what I think.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Backwards

...........The BG was shot in the back 3 times, justified, then why did he fall backwards ?????????????????????????///

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links