Do BG use holsters?

This is a discussion on Do BG use holsters? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was talking to a LEO buddy of mine and he has yet to confiscate a gun from a suspect that was using a holster. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do BG use holsters?

Do BG use holsters?

I was talking to a LEO buddy of mine and he has yet to confiscate a gun from a suspect that was using a holster. Although he has only been LEO 2 years now, but I would think if you are going to be a criminal why wouldn't you seek a little comfort? Maybe this is just another way to determine BG from GG. So I guess I would like to know how common it is for any of you LEOs to encounter a holster during an arrest?
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

2. Remove Ads

BGs do not wear holsters because it becomes evidence that they had a gun in the event that they were able to ditch the gun before a run in with the law. A lot of times they will throw the gun out or stash it somewhere, having a holster tells LEO to look for a gun.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Quote Originally Posted by jdivence View Post
    BGs do not wear holsters because it becomes evidence that they had a gun in the event that they were able to ditch the gun before a run in with the law. A lot of times they will throw the gun out or stash it somewhere, having a holster tells LEO to look for a gun.
    +1 Correct.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

"I see" said the blind man.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

In watching cops, I have seen bad guys with holsters on 4 or 5 occasions.

Beyond that, you have non licensed concealed carry folks who use holsters, cops who commit crimes, security guards who commit crimes, bad guys who have military or police training, etc.

Huan Yun "Allen" Xiang, shooter at Monash University, wore a holster, as did NIU shooter Steven Phillip Kazmierczak.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

There is no real firm answer, but in general, no street thugs don't tend to use holsters. The reasons are many, and the main ones are posted above. I've come across people illegally possessing/carrying weapons in holsters, but they tended to be concealed in vehicles inside a holster (generally the holster the gun was in when it was stolen).

I'm working on year 13 as an LEO and I've never charged illegal possession or CCW against someone who was actually wearing a handgun in a holster.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    In my somewhat limited experience as a security officer and Deputy for a few years, the short answer is no. In addition to the above theory about ditching the weapon, I will posit another. For the average street thug, holsters are not part of the lifestyle, therefore they are not considered as an accessory.

"Daddy, brother and my homies all stick the gun someplace else, like a pocket, waistband, inside a coat liner, so that's that way I'll do it too."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

My experience mirrors Landric's. I can tell you that I have seen many shootings inside bars or other buildings begin with the words, "(X)itch, go out the car and gimme my pistol....". The "holster" is the area under the front seat or in the spare tire well, depending on the individual's need for...concealment vs. speed of draw. Generally, if a bad guy is carrying the gun, he has just retrieved it/had it retrieved and stuffed it down the front of his pants (and may be holding both up with one hand in some cases) or a pocket if it is of the non-stolen type-a small .25 or .22.
    I do remember a sawn-off shotgun carried under a coat, suspended from the arm by a cloth strip nailed to the stock. It was way under the legal limit, and the guy's attorney tried to say it was legal because by measuring from the tip of the barrel to the end of the strip, it was PLENTY long. But that was years ago, pardon the drift, anyway.
    What Would Gumby Do?

In my area, we find them mainly within reach and concealed in the vehicle most often. Two weeks ago, it was a Colorado guy with a 4" revo between the front seats. This seems to allow the BG to use the ever successful "that's not mine" defense.

Imagine lead times if the BG's were into custom holsters?
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Landric View Post
    There is no real firm answer, but in general, no street thugs don't tend to use holsters. The reasons are many, and the main ones are posted above. I've come across people illegally possessing/carrying weapons in holsters, but they tended to be concealed in vehicles inside a holster (generally the holster the gun was in when it was stolen).

I'm working on year 13 as an LEO and I've never charged illegal possession or CCW against someone who was actually wearing a handgun in a holster.
    I can only hope that this lack of safe carrying will result in many AD's among criminals.....if enough of them shoot themselves then maybe they'll stop playing with things that are smarter than they are....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

When I worked for the Fed’s the BG’s we investigated never carried guns. Most were already convicted felons, and did not want to be caught carrying a firearm. Some would however, keep one in the car.

Instead of carrying a pistol, the head guys would have an associate nearby who would be armed, and he would have a CCL, or badge, and he would used a holster.

Back in the late 70’s and early 80’s when I worked for the sheriffs’ department, the BG’s never had a holster. Always just tucked it in their pants. Or as others have said kept it in the car until needed. The only exception would be some BG’s would carry a 25 in their pocket.

For the "corner boy" level of BG, holsters are too expensive. Unless the gun they stole came with one.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Interesting post. Never really thought of it much.

My guess would be that the average BG doesn't read USCCA or NRA or any other gun mag, and hadn't really even thought of having a holster. (That's assuming they can read).

Thank you for all the thoughts - even more reason to have a "nice" holster. Might be a dead give away that maybe I'm not the BG when things go south.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

let me ask a BG. Do you use a holster? BG says in response: FU.
    I guess I can not answer your question.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    In watching cops, I have seen bad guys with holsters on 4 or 5 occasions.
    I also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links