Do you ever worry about reprisals

This is a discussion on Do you ever worry about reprisals within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Do you ever worry about reprisals or acts of revenge from those you sent to jail? How would you even know if a BG that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever worry about reprisals

Do you ever worry about reprisals

Do you ever worry about reprisals or acts of revenge from those you sent to jail?

How would you even know if a BG that tries to do you harm or does you harm, had something to do with an old case you once worked.

I’m just wondering because from time to time, I still get calls from people I used to work with, when a BG is getting out, to keep a eye open.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by tns0038 View Post
    Do you ever worry about reprisals or acts of revenge from those you sent to jail?

How would you even know if a BG that tries to do you harm or does you harm, had something to do with an old case you once worked.

I’m just wondering because form time to time, I still get calls from people I use to work with, when a BG is getting out, to keep a eye open.
    I'm not in LE (so it could only be worse for LE), but yes, I do, hypothetically.

Say you are involved in a justified SD situation and you are instrumental in the capture, injury, or death of a BG. I have very little doubt there is a chance the BG, BG's acquaintance, or gang related dare now puts me in a little more jeopardy. Just a reality. Don't let it change how you live. Evey choice has a consequence. Just live the best you can.

God, give us grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, courage to change the things that should be changed, and the wisdom to distinguish the one from the other.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

No I dont worry to much about it, I cant count how
    many times a dirt bag told me " I'm going to get you
    when I get out."
    Brass tries to let us know when some one we put away is about to
    parole out, but not always.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Senior Moderator
    I don't worry about it.
    I have had two encounters with people that I had dealt with that recognized me.

One was at a restaurant, the other at Walmart. One of those encounters convinced me that I needed to carry every single time I walked out the door.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Not really. When I was 15 I was I guess. There were some drug dealers that kept offering me acid outside a 7/11. I kept turning them down. Would have called the cops and told them where they were hanging out, but didn't want to get targeted.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I have been recognized by several BG's that I sent away over the years. Never been a problem. One even thank me for my professional courtesy. One said it help him get on the right path........go figure.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I have been recognized by several BG's that I sent away over the years. Never been a problem. One even thank me for my professional courtesy. One said it help him get on the right path........go figure.
    Thanks, Reborn,

It is nice to know that once in awhile it happens like we all hope it would. I feel a little less cynical because of that.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I've been threatened and hunted, but paranoia helps keep things on an even keel - a healthy paranoia. Even the most vicious criminal uses a built in cost/benefit analysis [recognize, however, that there are other personalities with no sense at all - but you'll know them when you meet them and see them again]. There are things I can't get into here, but being alert at all times goes a long way...and the old adage "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they're not out to get you!" applies 24x7. It was a poster in my office above my desk in 'the old days.'
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

I'm reminded of a episode of JAG where the ex Seal commander killed a Italian for kidnapping his daughter. He ended up having to deal with a brother or the father, anyway..the guy was talking about the families vendetta against him for the killing. He came back with something along the lines of I'd hate to kill you, then the brother said my other brother would avenge him, Well..I'd hate to kill him too....you get the picture.
    Seems like if they get caught once...why go after the guy that caught you. But, then again most criminals aren't geniuses...are they.
    take 'em down. If they come back, do it again
    I have a friend who is a LEO in a town not far from Nashville who also runs a training school. He's arrested someone Thursday night and had them walk up to his schools table at the gunshow the next weekend....never even recognizing him.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Yes,over the years I have been attacked on several occassions,they aren't brave enough to confront me headon but back when I use to dove hunt I believe the survivors now target my car for target practice on a routine basis
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    For a number of years after retirement I would receive an occasional call advising that another BG was being paroled. That stopped about 3 years ago so I assume that the ones that could get out, have. Never met any of them.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

No I do not worry. I try to minimize the risk by always carrying off duty.

I was watching the first 48 last thu night they had a murder in Houston Tx and the victim in 1992 killed somebody in self defense,they caught 3 guys and 2 of them thought they were doing a burglary, but the guy that killed him said somebody offered him $15,000 to kill the guy and he told his friends they were gonna do a burglary,the cops think it may be retaliation for the SD shooting and are still investigating that angle.All 3 guys have been charged with murder and they never received a penny.They got 4 guys for the murder one was the getaway driver
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    I have a friend who is a LEO in a town not far from Nashville who also runs a training school. He's arrested someone Thursday night and had them walk up to his schools table at the gunshow the next weekend....never even recognizing him.
    The NYPD used to teach the newbes to carry the wanted posters under their hat and just watch the people in the crowd. They used to pick up plenty of BG this way. My Father and 2 Brothers are great with faces and names. Me I don't really give a hoot.

No.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links