Off-duty Carry

This is a discussion on Off-duty Carry within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; A poll for LEOs or those who are very sure of the local practice. Background: The Chief of one of our local PDs was recently ...

View Poll Results: Does your Department:

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • Prohibit off-duty carry

2 2.90%
  • Discourage off-duty carry

5 7.25%
  • Require off-duty carry

10 14.49%
  • Encourage off-duty carry

40 57.97%
  • If require or encourage off-duty carry, require OC

1 1.45%
  • If require or encourage off-duty carry, require CC

15 21.74%
  • If require or encourage off-duty carry, require carrying restraints and or other items

3 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Off-duty Carry

VIP Member

Off-duty Carry

A poll for LEOs or those who are very sure of the local practice.

Background:

The Chief of one of our local PDs was recently replaced.

The new Chief has made major changes in off-duty carry.

What is your department's policy?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Highly encourage, no restraints.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    I can't imagine any PD not encouraging off duty carry.
    I've known the Cheif since we went to high school together and Mike is the kind of guy who really cares about the officers on the force and wants to see them alive, everyday.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

My dept. doesn't require or encourage off-duty carry, but there is no requirement to carry restraints, pepper spray, baton, etc, if you do carry off-duty. My dept leaves it up to the individual officer to decide.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

My department encourages but does not require off-duty carry. We are required to carry concealed if we carry.

I live in my jurisdiction and spend most of my time here, so I carry handcuffs off-duty as well, but that is not required.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

Encourage off-duty carry
    | Type 01 FFL / SOT |
    | NC CHP Instructor | NRA Pistol Instructor |

VIP Member
    Encourage, but only duty gun authorized while off-duty; irrespective whether one has a personally acquired CWP. Cell and creds required; restraints are not.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Encourage, but we unofficially endorse Glock carry. Weapons must be inspected yearly. If it's a Glock the agency inspects. If not it is the responsibility of the Officer to find a gunsmith/armorer who will certify it.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

VIP Member
    highly encourages carry
    only high quality mfg allowed, must be approved by range master, must qual with off-duty weapon, purchase high quality defense ammo
    no other restricitons or requirements
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Our rules are after 2 years and you successfully pass probation you are allowed to purchase 1 off duty firearm on your credentials. Anymore after that have to be put on a pistol license. Now you are allowed and caliber from 38 special to 50cal then there is a chart with the minimum grain allowed to be carried for each caliber.
    One more step and it's on!

Strongly encouraged to carry off duty, encouraged to carry handcuffs and an extra mag if using an automatic.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Administrator
    Can't say either way. Its not really discussed much. Our policy states that we can, the weapon must be chambered in .380 or larger and much be inspected and approved by the armorer.
    Since that guy is a handsome, smart, and all knowing fellow, I can carry pretty much whatever I want within reason. That great guy of an armorer we have will not approve the junk guns, only high quality fighting pistols need apply. He cares about his coworkers to much to allow them to carry extreme junk or Brazilian poo.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Strongly encouraged, no limitations
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by srfl View Post
    Encourage, but only duty gun authorized while off-duty; irrespective whether one has a personally acquired CWP. Cell and creds required; restraints are not.
    That is kind of a strange policy. Are you allowed backup guns on-duty, and if so, does the department provide them or are they officer owned?

Since I couldn't edit my post, I'll add this about my department:

Off-duty weapons have to be approved by a firearms instructor and qualified with on the same course of fire as the duty weapon. Policy doesn't require specific brands, but does say that off-duty weapons "must be of reliable function and design" and "must of a type and design suitable for law enforcement use".

My off-duty weapons are:

Glock 36 .45ACP
    HK P7 9x19mm
    S&W 37-2 Airweight .38 Special

I didn't have any problem getting approval for any of them, or approval to carry the Airweight as a backup on-duty.

We also have a list of acceptable chamberings and minimum bullet weights for each. The list covers pretty much everything from .380ACP to .45 Colt, and includes all the standards (.380ACP, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, 9x19mm, 357 SIG, .40S&W, .45ACP) and some rather unusual ones like .38 Super, 10mm Automatic, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, and .45 Colt. The only even remotely common chambering we don't have listed is the .45GAP, and I suspect that if an officer had one and wanted to qualify with it, they would approve it using the same bullet weight standards as the .45ACP.

I went with 124 grain +P Gold Dot in 9x19, 135 gain +P Gold Dot in .38 Special, and 230 grain Ranger-T in .45ACP and all were approved.

The policy does say that all ammunition has to be factory and approved designs are JHP, FMJ, RNL, or LHP/LSWCHP.

All in all its a pretty open policy and clearly written by our lead firearms guy, who is just as much of a gun nut as I am.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

JD
    Administrator
    The words of the County Chief of where I'm moving:

I have deputies that go armed to neighboring cities for shopping And that is totally uncalled for in my opinion.
    I only carry a firearm when I am in uniform, less than 5 times per year,I have a .38 cal under the seat of vehicle, but should be carrying my glock, And in plain clothes I do NOT carry a weapon

Yeah, you can only guess how he feels about non LEOs carrying.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links