My rookies lessons learned file - Page 11

My rookies lessons learned file

This is a discussion on My rookies lessons learned file within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by HotGuns I did remember a few things. One, is that every time you wear a uniform SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE is watching you. Another ...

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I did remember a few things. One, is that every time you wear a uniform SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE is watching you.

Another thing is to listen to that small voice that keeps us out of trouble, or at the very least, saves us from embarrassment. The same voice that makes the hair stand up on the back of our necks for reasons unknown to us, sometimes saving our lives.

And last but not least, is the fact that the line that separates a HERO from a ZERO can be a very fine line at times.
    YEP to all the above
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    yeah I hear ya, our other 2 'spare' channels are monitored & I'm going to confirm w/dispatch that this other channel is not monitored, if not then I'll suggest that it needs to be
    and at the only excuse bit, I've heard some of the older vets talk about using the portable as a weapon and I would if need be, but we have a lot of other toys in line before that LOL
    Back before everyone got shoulder mic's that was one of the things to do. When I was an EMT we had an on going debate as to if it was better (with older G.E.s and Motorola 350's) to hold it by the battery and hit them with the radio or hold the radio and hit them with the battery. I prefer holding the radio myself. Better balance!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    I had a call this week that put me the closest I've ever been to having to pull the trigger on someone.

Call was to check on someone that was talking on the phone to a friend and her speech began being slurred and then phone went dead. Her friend called 911 and I went to the apartment, knocked on door, checked back patio door/windows, shined light in and couldn't see anything (all while announcing myself). A Sgt backs me up since it was 'one of those nights' and nobody else was available. We get maintenance man to unlock door for us but its locked from the inside...we know she is in there, and at that point we finally hear her. She begins screaming things I can't type in this forum inquiring who we are, what we want etc, instructing us to leave (all embellished with things I can't type here). During this tirade of profanity and orders she lets us know she has a 357 magnum and she's about to use it. Maintenance man backs away from door and Sgt and I take proper positions and begin explaining why we're there but she ain't buying it and says again how she is ready to start blasting. I really did expect to have rounds coming out the door at this point. I ran back to my car and looked up details on the call and got her friend's name. I again announced who I was, called her by name and told her why her friend called us and she says just a minute. We hear door unlocking. Door opens and I see her in PJs/robe and a hammerless revolver in her left hand. I instruct her to put the gun down on the counter next to the door and step outside. Thankfully she does exactly that and doesn't make any moves I would misinterpret or threaten me. I was focused on that revolver while instructing her and knew if it raised at me I'd have no choice but to fire. At this point we didn't know if she was truly calmed down/understanding our presence, but thankfully it all turned out good. She was apologetic and I suggested that next time she look out her peephole when someone knocked on her door.
    I ain't gonna lie.....it was an instance of high pucker factor when that door opened, but I was surprisingly calm and felt in complete control.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Howdy Mr. 64.

That was a close one. The worst night of my life involved a 70 something year old lady and a kitchen knife, so I sort of know of what you speak.

Take care and stay safe and I'm glad you and the lady are OK.

Biker

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    At least she showed some restraint. She didn't know the maint. man?

On another note, it seems she legitimately was OK and protecting herself from an unknown intruder. Would you have returned fire or back off and wait for the shooting to end if she had shot through the door?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    we knew that she knew the maintenance man since he'd been over there checking on her for the previous 5 days in a row since she'd come home from the hospital (we knew this previous to him unlocking to the door)

as for returning fire, I can honestly say I may have had no choice, the door was at a 45deg angle to the wall/sidewalk where my backup officer (a Sgt) and the maint. man were standing, I was to the other side of the door so I could seen in as it opened and was about 6 ft away at the short corner where the wall turned down the side, I had cover they did not, if she started firing I was in position to stop the threat and they would have to move about 20ft to get out of the line of fire
    I'm just glad it turned out the way it did
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

No good joke goes...

...unpunished.

This is my addition to the rookie files. Give you a little background, I worked Narcs for almost all of my 15yrs except for the last 2.This happened a few months back, but we're still laughing about it. I just copied and pasted. I did edit the bad words...

So, we get this new guy on the shift. The Sheriff put 4 of us old timers on shift together. I have worked with two in the past and one has turned out pretty cool. Then, we get notice that we are getting the newest guy to law enforcement on the shift early last week. His first night was last night. We spent the week planning and plotting his hazing. This kid is green green green. Has about 1 month out of the academy.

So we plan it. Tim gets a bunch of old empty Corona bottles, fills them up with cream soda. I get some drum rolling tobacco and a bag of oregano. We also have a bag of white powdered sugar. We also have a bag of bones . Mike takes the bones out to a predesignated area, out by native land and buries them.

We go through half the shift and Salas starts making calls to everyone and the new guy to meet at the bone site. We all meet and Tim tells the new guy that things are different on graveyards and is he good to go. Eager to please the new guy says sure. Tim starts handing out Corona bottles and the new kid declines. I Light up a rolled cigarette and start puffing and hand off to Mike. The new kid declines. You can see the utter confusion and fear in his eyes. I lay out a couple lines on the hood of the car and pull off some really good UC snorts if I do say so myself. This kid is freaking out by now and you can see it in his eyes that he wants to split, so I grab the shovel out of the back of my SUV. I throw it at him and begin to tell him that we are on ancient native burial grounds and to start digging. I tell him that the bones and jewelry are worth big bucks. He declines yet again and Salas snatches the shovel out of his hand and starts digging, coming up with bones. He yells jackpot!! New kid gets totally freaked and says he's outta there, jumps in his patrol car and takes off. We are laughing our butts off and doing the customary high fives.

1500hrs today, Captain calls us all in, we're read Garrity. We are interrogated by the brass and we let them know it was all a joke and we were just lettin' the new guy know he was welcome on the shift, but he took off before the joke could be ratted out.

We get chewed about scaring the doo doo out of the poor kid then the brass laughs their butts off.

Rookie lesson learned you ask?? This job requires a sense of humor

VIP Member
    nice, elaborate plan
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    OMG, that's horrible!

Ok, it was actually hysterical. Got a weird look from Bunny Jr. as I just burst out laughing!
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hogie34 View Post
    ...unpunished.

This is my addition to the rookie files. Give you a little background, I worked Narcs for almost all of my 15yrs except for the last 2.This happened a few months back, but we're still laughing about it. I just copied and pasted. I did edit the bad words...

So, we get this new guy on the shift. The Sheriff put 4 of us old timers on shift together. I have worked with two in the past and one has turned out pretty cool. Then, we get notice that we are getting the newest guy to law enforcement on the shift early last week. His first night was last night. We spent the week planning and plotting his hazing. This kid is green green green. Has about 1 month out of the academy.

So we plan it. Tim gets a bunch of old empty Corona bottles, fills them up with cream soda. I get some drum rolling tobacco and a bag of oregano. We also have a bag of white powdered sugar. We also have a bag of bones . Mike takes the bones out to a predesignated area, out by native land and buries them.

We go through half the shift and Salas starts making calls to everyone and the new guy to meet at the bone site. We all meet and Tim tells the new guy that things are different on graveyards and is he good to go. Eager to please the new guy says sure. Tim starts handing out Corona bottles and the new kid declines. I Light up a rolled cigarette and start puffing and hand off to Mike. The new kid declines. You can see the utter confusion and fear in his eyes. I lay out a couple lines on the hood of the car and pull off some really good UC snorts if I do say so myself. This kid is freaking out by now and you can see it in his eyes that he wants to split, so I grab the shovel out of the back of my SUV. I throw it at him and begin to tell him that we are on ancient native burial grounds and to start digging. I tell him that the bones and jewelry are worth big bucks. He declines yet again and Salas snatches the shovel out of his hand and starts digging, coming up with bones. He yells jackpot!! New kid gets totally freaked and says he's outta there, jumps in his patrol car and takes off. We are laughing our butts off and doing the customary high fives.

1500hrs today, Captain calls us all in, we're read Garrity. We are interrogated by the brass and we let them know it was all a joke and we were just lettin' the new guy know he was welcome on the shift, but he took off before the joke could be ratted out.

We get chewed about scaring the doo doo out of the poor kid then the brass laughs their butts off.

Rookie lesson learned you ask?? This job requires a sense of humor
    Would love to have been there.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Administrator
    Thats classy! Pulled off in true narc form!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Wow that woulda make a great youtube video,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Wow that woulda make a great youtube video,
    Reno 911 episode
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

--G.W. McClintock

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Links