My rookies lessons learned file

This is a discussion on My rookies lessons learned file within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It'll also save his life down the road. Be tough, he'll learn....

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: My rookies lessons learned file

It'll also save his life down the road. Be tough, he'll learn.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    This has all the wonderful signs of a long story published in serial form. Sixto follows in the honored traditions of Jules Verne and Arthur Conan Doyle. I wait with anticipation for the next installment.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

mkh
    Thanks for the stories. They bring back memories. I'll never forget one training film I saw with 2 officers in the car and one was always sleeping. His partner got shot and since he had been sleeping he had no idea where they were. Kind of tough asking for medical help when you have no idea where you are.

Some guys are better at knowing locations than others. I remember some guys could hear an address over the radio an tell you "that's the 3rd house from the corner of Fifth and Main on the right side, white with green shutters".

When your life may depend on it it really pays to know your territory.

Toughness from you may save his life someday. He'll remember, and have some great stories to tell at his own expense. Great job!

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Administrator
    Today was kinda fun. I've been pounding the "high value" target locations into his head, such as banks, jewelry stores and places like that. It sort of back fired on me today.

We get a call for a bank robbery in progress, and we were about 2 miles out. He did a great job cutting through a neighborhood to get there with only a little prompting from me. Sometimes I think he forgets were the gas pedal is, and that he does have red and blue lights. We're working on that.

Anyway, he wants to pull right up in front of the bank like he was there to cash grandma's birthday check. He hesitated a little when I told him to go the next block over, and park the car there. I did get a little short with him, now is not the time explain the fine art of criminal patrol. He does what I say, and wham... there is a kid running from behind the shopping center right to us. I snatch him up and detain him. Rookie is just standing there looking at me with a dumb look on his face as I pat him down etc.

Meanwhile, other units respond to the bank and get a description. Sure enough, it was a young white male wearing a white coat and a ski mask. No weapons were used or shown.
    Now, because of all the radio chatter, nobody else knows we have somebody in custody. So, I ask my rookie if he thinks this guy fits the description. Much to my surprise, he says no. Our guy doesn't have a mask on.

Thats when I tell him to unfold the hat sitting on the cruiser hood that I just took off our suspect. The look on his face was priceless. I would have thought he just passed a brick. I guess we are only in this a week at this point... he'll learn.

So, we call in our detainee and wait for detectives to arrive.

Now here is the part I didn't tell you before just because it would have ruined the story; The kid didn't rob the bank. He just walked in the bank after snowboarding/sledding with his friends to cash a check his Mom had given him. Being a stupid kid, he never thought about taking off his ski mask. Once inside, he realized what he had done and that he spooked the employees and that scared him so he ran out of the bank. We found thisout after we arrived and found the kid.
    Talking with the kid, I got the distinct impression that he wasn't the brightest crayon in the box in the first place.

All in a days work I guess.
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 7th, 2009 at 09:59 AM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

for the next episode...
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Today was kinda fun. I've been pounding the "high value" target locations into his head, such as banks, jewelry stores and places like that. It sort of back fired on me today.

We get a call for a bank robbery in progress, and we were about 2 miles out. He did a great job cutting through a neighborhood to get there with only a little prompting from me. Sometimes I think he forgets were the gas pedal is, and that he does have red and blue lights. We're working on that.

Anyway, he wants to pull right up in front of the bank like he was there to cash grandma's birthday check. He hesitated a little when I told him to go the next block over, and park the car there. I did get a little short with him, now is not the time explain the fine art of criminal patrol. He does what I say, and wham... there is a kid running from behind the shopping center right to us. I snatch him up and detain him. Rookie is just standing there looking at me with a dumb look on his face as I pat him down etc.

Meanwhile, other units respond to the bank and get a description. Sure enough, it was a young white male wearing a white coat and a ski mask. No weapons were used or shown.
    Now, because of all the radio chatter, nobody else knows we have somebody in custody. So, I ask my rookie if he thinks this guy fits the description. Much to my surprise, he says no. Our guy doesn't have a mask on.

Thats when I tell him to unfold the hat sitting on the cruiser hood that I just took off our suspect. The look on his face was priceless. I would have thought he just passed a brick. I guess we are only in this a week at this point... he'll learn.

So, we call in our detainee and wait for detectives to arrive.

Now here is the part I didn't tell you before just because it would have ruined the story; The kid didn't rob the bank. He just walked in the bank after snowboarding/sledding with his friends to cash a check his Mom had given him. Being a stupid kid, he never thought about taking off his ski mask. Once inside, he realized what he had done and that he spooked the employees and that scared him so he ran out of the bank. We found thisout after we arrived and found the kid.
    Talking with the kid, I got the distinct impression that he wasn't the brightest crayon in the box in the first place.

What's the penalty in your state for felony stupid??
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

This just makes me warm and fuzzy all over for our future....
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    There's no teacher like experience :)
    OTOH -- It is best to learn by other peoples mistakes -- you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    I have a few more to share, but the best ones happened while training new undercovers. I'll share some of those later.
    Keep'm coming.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    I have noticed that ex-military rookies are not as map/navigation savvy these days as in the 1980's and 1990's.
    I can't speak to now-days vs. earlier. But IMHO, it has always amassed me that so many people are not "map/navigation savvy."

They think lineally -- not in two dimensions. They know the "route" from A to B. They know the "route" from B to C. But they haven't a clue where B is in relation to C, much less the route between.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    One thing that drives some around the bend is that a major freeway that passes through my beat, US-59, is known as a north-south route, but in my area, it runs due east-west.
    LOL

Roads and RR are labeled N, E, S, or W based on the relation to that road's end-points. Here in the mountains you are often going a compass heading 180* the opposite of the overall designation. I know of a dbl horseshoe where you'll have all four compass heading in under a mile. The attachment is about what it looks like.

Also, we have a section of road here where four routes share the same slab. You drive either side of the median and you are going N, E, S, or W -- depending on which route number you are on.
    Attached Files
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeLCPL View Post
    Didn't you say he just got out of the Marines? That would explain the stubborness part.
    I resemble that remark.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I know it was slightly mean... but he learned some valued lessons...
    The best lessons learned are the ones learned that way. You did the young man a great service SIXTO. He will be a better prepared and safer patrolman because he had you as an FTO.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    Reading my previous posts again, I see that they sound a little arrogant. (Who me? )

Be assured, I'm learning as well. Every rookie teaches me a few things along the way. They are generally fresh out of the academy, and have had good instructors show them some things. They are always quick to point out the few tricks they have in their tool bags.
    I'm coming up with a few thoughts to post about the mistakes I've made so far too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links