My rookies lessons learned file

This is a discussion on My rookies lessons learned file within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Funny stuff Sixto, keep 'em coming....

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: My rookies lessons learned file

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Funny stuff Sixto, keep 'em coming.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    With Six's permission, I will add some stories from the "other side" so to speak, being a rookie myself in FTO training. These are not super side-splitting funny, but funny nonetheless.

Awhile back, just before 2AM end of shift, rookie and FTO were topping off the gas tank at city pumps, area not lit very well. Rookie goes to the toilet just inside a door by the pumps and hears what he thinks is the FTO hanging up the gas pump as its finished (I know you can see it coming). Rook comes out and pump is off (old style, sounds like electric motor when turned on). Rook gets in car not taking the extra step of ensuring things are completed and pulls away.....POW!!!!!!....looks in mirror and sees handle still in tank and about 6 feet of hose dragging the ground. Thankfully it had a quick disconnect so there wasn't gas spewing everywhere. Of course this couldn't happen with nobody else around....there were 3 other patrol cars in the nearby lot that all turned their spotlights on the "offender". Great laugh for everyone.

Next, panic alarm at a house of 85 yr old lady. FTO with rookie and another officer respond. We always try to find a possible way in before kicking in door on assistance calls and a window was found partially open but it was really small. The rook with these guys stands about 5'2", fairly small guy so he gets volunteered to go in and open the front door. FTO says "besides, if you get shot its not as much of a loss to the city as one of us would be"

Next, me with my FTO, buddy from the academy with his FTO, we're talking in a parking lot after a call when dispatch comes on saying undercover state trooper needs assistance, fighting with a wanted felon, firearms involved. We're not too far away so both cars take off code 3. We get around a corner and we're doing about 80mph through a flashing light school zone in the middle of the afternoon and I'm about to pass my buddy. He finally gets going faster and we're about 120 on this long straight road with little traffic. We get on scene and take care of business and start talking. My buddy's FTO said he was telling him to GO! and buddy was saying its floored, FTO said make this (expletive) GO!....in my buddy's excitement to take off from the parking lot had stuck the car in 2nd gear instead of 'D' engine was redlining, car jerking and he didn't realize it until we started to pass him. He has now aquired the nickname 2nd gear.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Administrator
    2nd gear is a classic...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post

Next, me with my FTO, buddy from the academy with his FTO, we're talking in a parking lot after a call when dispatch comes on saying undercover state trooper needs assistance, fighting with a wanted felon, firearms involved. We're not too far away so both cars take off code 3. We get around a corner and we're doing about 80mph through a flashing light school zone in the middle of the afternoon and I'm about to pass my buddy. He finally gets going faster and we're about 120 on this long straight road with little traffic. We get on scene and take care of business and start talking. My buddy's FTO said he was telling him to GO! and buddy was saying its floored, FTO said make this (expletive) GO!....in my buddy's excitement to take off from the parking lot had stuck the car in 2nd gear instead of 'D' engine was redlining, car jerking and he didn't realize it until we started to pass him. He has now aquired the nickname 2nd gear.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    we're doing about 80mph through a flashing light school zone in the middle of the afternoon and I'm about to pass my buddy.
    Ummm....
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Ummm....
    ummm what?
    it was 2:30 no kids out or anything, big 4 lane road, was not careless if thats what you're thinking
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

ummm what?
    it was 2:30 no kids out or anything, big 4 lane road, was not careless if thats what you're thinking
    If it's not careless why would you write someone else a ticket for it?
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    If it's not careless why would you write someone else a ticket for it?
    He never said he would or could. Kids have to be present for the school zone to be enforceable.

Agreed, 80mph is a bit excessive on surface streets... but thats not what the thread is about.

I have more stories coming.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    He never said he would or could. Kids have to be present for the school zone to be enforceable.

Agreed, 80mph is a bit excessive on surface streets... but that's not what the thread is about.

Well he did say that the light was flashing, that would indicate the likelihood of kids about. Or buses. Or parents arriving to pick up kids. Or kids walking home from school. Regardless, the light was flashing for a reason.

If I were to operate my ambulance (lets not even talk about POV) in this manner I have no doubt that any LEO would jack me up and have me cooling my heels for a while on a reckless charge. I have been in court many times and heard LEOs testify against school zone violators. LEOs and the courts seem to take this offense quite seriously.

Your state laws may vary.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    The continuing adventures of the Sixto Kid.

For those not of my generation, this may help.

Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Administrator
    Really, can we take the "Gay Amigo" one down?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    lol,

Whats the matter Sixto? That poster strike a nerve?
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

One of my friends had a rookie that was terrible with navigation. He ended up buying a Matchbox police car and making him drive it to each call on a map before he drove there in the cruiser.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    One of my friends had a rookie that was terrible with navigation. He ended up buying a Matchbox police car and making him drive it to each call on a map before he drove there in the cruiser.
    Don't laugh, I actually keep a handful of matchboxes in my locker. they have been an asset to explain complicated traffic crashes to people.
    Once, I wrecked a cruiser and it looked like it was my fault. I busted out my toys to show the bosses what happened, and saved me a lot of grief.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Really, can we take the "Gay Amigo" one down?
    Ya' know, I've been thinking of the same thing lately, "The Sixto Kid" and thinking of a version similar to The Cisco Kid.

Really, I kid you not. Why not leave it up, unless you have something to hide? You don't have anything to hide, do you Sixto? As for the Matchbox Cars, that's too funny. I like the idea of using them to explain things.

Biker

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Links