My rookies lessons learned file

This is a discussion on My rookies lessons learned file within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As some might remember, I posted a while back about being an FTO (Field Training Officer) and thought it might be fun to share some ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My rookies lessons learned file

Administrator

My rookies lessons learned file

As some might remember, I posted a while back about being an FTO (Field Training Officer) and thought it might be fun to share some of the experiences and lessons learned by both of us.

Well, training this week was interesting. We have had two snow storms, the first was more of an ice storm with 4" or so of snow. The second was a surprise storm, and we got almost a foot of snow in a few hours time...right at rush hour.

He had a trial by fire in traffic control. He got to witness first hand how peoples IQ's get cut in half the minute they can't do what they think they should be able to do. Any LEO here knows what I'm talking about. There can be an over turned tanker spewing fuel all over the roadway with a wall of flames 50ft high blocking the roadway, and people will still drive right up to the scene to ask if they could drive through... they live on this road. And then they get mad as hell at the LEO when he says no. LOL. Poor rookie.

He also learned to keep his basic survival gear with him. I told him several times to keep hat and gloves in your coat at all times... Can you guess what he didn't have while out in the snow storm? Yup. He learned that one the hard way. I bet he wont do that again.

I also like to let him get lost. As long as we are not going to a life and death or time sensitive call, he calls the shots on which way we go. We got "lost" a lot. Not only is he in charge of getting lost, he has to get us "unlost". But, I always turn up the heat a little bit when I get bored driving around in circles. After a week of that, he finally brings the map book I gave him every time in the car. We don't get to
    lost anymore. He's learning.

This one is kinda my fault. He has to pick out his flashlight each shift. We have a bank of rechargeable to use, and a system set up so the new shift always have a fresh light. Well, for whatever reason, he has a hard time picking a fresh light. This time, I didn't correct him. He also keeps his backup light in his patrol bag. I told him to keep it on him, its worthless in the bag, that stays in the car. Again, I let him learn it the hard way.
    We went to a burglary in progress, and there was a building to be cleared. We went in, and cleared the building. This was his first time doing so in the real world. Then his light died... and I told him to get out his back up. He tells me its in the car, I simply said "Next time, listen to me", and handed him my light. I had my back up.
    After we cleared the building, I took my light back and told him to wait here.(in the building) I left, and went out to the car.
    I called him on his cell phone, and said, "Congrats, you have been cut loose and you're now on your own. You do not have an FTO to hold your hand since you chose to not listen too him. See you in the car"

I had to go back in in about 15 minutes to find him, trying to find his way out of a large pitch black warehouse using the light from his phone. The next day, he had his back up light on his belt, and selected the right light from the charge bank.
    I know it was slightly mean... but he learned some valued lessons in that, as did I. I took something for granted and allowed the mistake to happen for training purposes. however, if that had happened at the wrong time, that could have had some bad consequences. I wont allow that to happen again either.
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 5th, 2009 at 01:29 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I have a few more to share, but the best ones happened while training new undercovers. I'll share some of those later.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    LOL!

Reminds me of the time I spent as a field preceptor for new paramedics.

Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    There's no teacher like experience :)
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the post SIXTO. I actually wondered earlier today how it was going with your rookie.
    Some things you can tell someone over and over and over and it won't sink in. Let them screw up and realize what you've been trying to tell them, they don't forget.
    You don't have GPS units in your cars? Can you use your own if you want to?

best to learn by mistakes. Prefereably other people's, but your's will work too. I will try to envision myself in these scenarios to let the messages sink in a little deeper and maybe to help teach others.

Like when we're going for a walk and my wife asks why, if I already have my surefire light in my pocket, do I need to grab the maglight too? She hasn't accepted that the maglight is better at finding the dog poop.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."
    "Save in defense of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword" - Gen. R. E. Lee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swaggs View Post
    best to learn by mistakes. Prefereably other people's, but your's will work too. I will try to envision myself in these scenarios to let the messages sink in a little deeper and maybe to help teach others.

Like when we're going for a walk and my wife asks why, if I already have my surefire light in my pocket, do I need to grab the maglight too? She hasn't accepted that the maglight is better at finding the dog poop.
    I thought that was what the bottom of your shoes were for!

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Brings back lots of memories.........keep him safe...
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

some things never change. I bet, cause I cant remember, when I was a rookie a long time ago, that I did some of those things. But, everyone has to start somewhere.

nice post.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Hey, it might have been mean what you did leaving him in the dark, but you may have saved his life in the future.

It did give me a good laugh though.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Please keep posting stories......
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

I also like to let him get lost. As long as we are not going to a life and death or time sensitive call, he calls the shots on which way we go. We got "lost" a lot. Not only is he in charge of getting lost, he has to get us "unlost". But, I always turn up the heat a little bit when I get bored driving around in circles. After a week of that, he finally brings the map book I gave him every time in the car. We don't get to lost anymore. He's learning.
    You mean you guys don't have docked computers with GPS/AVLS? Dang.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Mr Murphy with all his law is the smartest SOB I know of. Just when thing are going great Mr. Murphy has to step in. In life there are plenty of lessons to be learned. Hopefull it does cost you to much to learn them.

I have told every new employee as part of your job you must carry a pen and pieces of paper. My father would drill this into me and other employees. We use them to record the check-in mileage on the rental cars. One employee named Charles never had a pen and thought he could leave everything to memory. One day he takes a car to pick up lunch a few block away from rental office. While waiting for the food to be bagged up a yellow school bus parked in front of him puts the bus in reverse and backs over the hood,fenders, and into the windshield and the bus starts to put away. Charles runs outside and in a panic tries to memorize the lic palte. (No Pen) He gets back to the office with the car wrecked and calls me at the main office and tells me what happened. I ask him do you have the plate on the bus? He gives me only half a plate. I ask him "Did you mark down the plate?" No. "Why?" didn't have a pen. Well Charles paid for the repairs on my car out of his pocket. Never had to ask him again did he have a pen. Always carried 2 until he left my company years later. Fast foward 20 years. My parents go to JKF airport to catch a flight. Security tells you to move the car, keep going guys. Well the head of security guy looks at my mother and father and call them by name. They turn around and it is Charles. He looks at my father and says" Look I have a pen in my pocket" Lesson learned.

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    Whew, at least I don't have to worry about snow down here. And I always have at least two flashlights on me, so I'm covered there. I know I'll need the map. What else do you have?
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Some people have to learn the hard way. I don't think it was mean. You probably saved yourself some future aggravation, and you may have saved him a lot more.

Your story sounds almost like raising a teenager who doesn't want to listen. Gotta allow some consequences before some will really listen.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links