How to help neighbor kid prepare for Marines? - Page 2

How to help neighbor kid prepare for Marines?

This is a discussion on How to help neighbor kid prepare for Marines? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SIXTO Military service is little more than a mind game. If he is mentally strong, he'll do fine no matter his physical ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to help neighbor kid prepare for Marines?

VIP Member
    Originally Posted by SIXTO
    Military service is little more than a mind game. If he is mentally strong, he'll do fine no matter his physical condition. (but being in shape does make things a lot easier.)

Originally Posted by David in FL
    The best way to help anyone prepare for the Marines is to teach them to do as they're told to do.......immediately, enthusiastically, and with their mouth shut.

Originally Posted by Supertac45
    I'll go against the grain here. I'd teach him basic sight picture shooting using an AR. A lot of young guys have only used scopes and have no idea on how to use a peep.

I was going to post those but decided I was too old Corp to be relevant to today.

Maybe things haven't changed all that much sense the '50s
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

What

Quote Originally Posted by Over Actor View Post
    Tell him to go Army, and since he is there go Infantry. and since He's doing that he should Go Airborne to get the girls.. it works lol
    huh, please don't start an inter-service debate in this forum on that subject; everyone knows Dress Blues will win the girls every time even if you are only wearing a pizza box on your chest.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Have him start going to pool functions, and talking to ACTIVE Marines about life AFTER boot camp. Boot is easy as all get out, and all people ever talk about is boot. It is 3 months, not 4 years.

Push ups and proper form lol
    and attention to detail. The stupidest little things will get you un needed attention from the DI's.
    Is that bad?

OK you are right

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomoak View Post
    Have him start going to pool functions, and talking to ACTIVE Marines about life AFTER boot camp. Boot is easy as all get out, and all people ever talk about is boot. It is 3 months, not 4 years.
    except for Desert Storm/Desert Shield; Parris Island was very anti-climactic in my experience.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Just so you know where this advice is coming from. I just finished 9 years active duty as an Infantryman. I got to do my two tours to the sandbox and did 3 years as a Combat Instructor at the School of Infantry at Camp Pendleton. I absolutely had a great time.

DO NOT teach him "how" to shoot. He should be comfortable around guns, but the Corps has a very particular, and effective, way of doing things.

DO teach him the 4 safety rules
    1) Treat every weapon as if it were loaded
    2) Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot
    3) Keep your finger off of the trigger until you are ready to fire
    4) Keep the weapon on safe until you intend to fire.
    VERBATIM!

Have him look into the other branches of service. If he decides he wants to challenge himself he will stay with this desire to TRY to become a Marine. ;-)

Make sure the young lad goes Infantry... Every Marine is a rifleman, but not all Marines are Infantrymen.

Finally, IF he makes it he will be in for the best 4 - 30 years of his life........ he may just not realize it at the time.

Semper Fi.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: Why the Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    I'll throw in my 0.02.

Teach him the safety rules (at least in the infantry) we are now including the 5th, know your target and what lies beyond it, but that started in SOI and not boot camp.

If you have an AR, getting him familiar with how to dissassemble and reassemble the weapon and clean it would be good (using a military issue style cleaning kit of course), but don't teach him how to shoot, Marines have their own way of teaching that, and it works.

If he goes infantry, especially 0311 (rifleman), it is possible he will never handle a M9, I've fired 50 rounds from one, and thats just cause I'm special.

Have him talk to AD/recently out of service Marines, they are a wealth of information about the lifestyle, boot isn't really hard if you go in with the right frame of mind, in fact its easy compared to what comes later.

If you have any other questions feel free to pm me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomoak View Post
    Is that bad?
    Depends. If your squared away You will learn the easy way, If your screwed up...You and your battle buddy learn the Loud and hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    huh, please don't start an inter-service debate in this forum on that subject; everyone knows Dress Blues will win the girls every time even if you are only wearing a pizza box on your chest.
    Im just playing around. lol I have a bunch of marine friends nearby at LeJune and Cherry pt. We always have the Army Infantry on Marine Infantry challenges lol. Good guys Either way

Im just playing around. lol I have a bunch of marine friends nearby at LeJune and Cherry pt. We always have the Army Infantry on Marine Infantry challenges lol. Good guys Either way
    Same here thats why I posted the ROFL smiley; I was artillery, no humping packs for me. Artillery; long distance the next best thing to being there.

Lots of differing comments. Thank you all.

I have an AR, so I THOUGHT that would be the perfect rifle to take to the range and help him get acquainted with it. Safety first, then some shooting. But quite a few of you say "no shooting". I can understand concerns about developing "bad habits", as I'm no Marine instructor. However, I was president of a local competitive rifle club for a number of years and we traveled extensively, competing (and often winning) so I have the basics down fairly well.

Anyway, thanks for all comments. Perhaps I will simply take him for a few casual shooting sessions, so that he gets used to basic safety and shooting the weapon.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Won't say anything bad about the Marines. 23 years army here, but Dad was/is a Marine and I was tempted, but got the Airborne bug in me (Marines couldn't guarentee me a slot).

I didn't see anyone post about pull ups. I know Marines LOVE thier pull ups as much as the Airborne LOVE our dips.

I second the post about doing everything told with no complaints.

Good Luck and God Speed!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    Won't say anything bad about the Marines. 23 years army here, but Dad was/is a Marine and I was tempted, but got the Airborne bug in me (Marines couldn't guarentee me a slot).

I didn't see anyone post about pull ups. I know Marines LOVE thier pull ups as much as the Airborne LOVE our dips.

I second the post about doing everything told with no complaints.

Good Luck and God Speed!

Huh. I've always wondered why I can do dips until the cows some home, but I hate doing pull ups. Now I know.

ChevySS... it isnt about knowing what you are doing, but its more about the Marines having a very specific way of doing things. He will be better off going in completely green to the rifle than if he has had a little instruction.
    You might be OK letting him field strip and get used to handling the rifle, but I'd leave all the instructioning and advice to the guys who make the best riflemen on a daily basis.
    If you really want to get him shooting, teach him some very basic markmanship items like breath and trigger control.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    ...ChevySS... it isnt about knowing what you are doing, but its more about the Marines having a very specific way of doing things. .....

Yeah, this is why I posted the thread up in the first place. In all honesty, I think I can shoot as well as most Marines. Heck, I've probably shot off more rounds than most Marines. But I certainly do NOT know the Marine-specific way of teaching/shooting.

thanks, Dave

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    Yeah, this is why I posted the thread up in the first place. In all honesty, I think I can shoot as well as most Marines. Heck, I've probably shot off more rounds than most Marines. But I certainly do NOT know the Marine-specific way of teaching/shooting.

thanks, Dave

-
    Here's some scans of the range book...

**Note, original remedial action was Tap, Rack, Bang. This was Changed to SPORTS, I'm sure one of the younger Devil Pups can tell you what they teach now LOL.

I'm sure you know all these things, but it's nice to have something in print to go off of. Sorry that some of these are off center, but I was in a rush.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links