How to help neighbor kid prepare for Marines?

This is a discussion on How to help neighbor kid prepare for Marines? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I will definitely go against the grain here. If he is dead set on becoming a marine, you should be giving him other options. When ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to help neighbor kid prepare for Marines?

I will definitely go against the grain here. If he is dead set on becoming a marine, you should be giving him other options.

When I was 16, I knew I was going to be a Marine. I was dead set on it. My dad said 'over his dead body'. He was in 'Nam as a Marine and I grudgingly listened to him. I still said I was going to be a Marine, but I decided to give the other recruiters a chance.

When I started to evaluate options, I figured out the Marines would give me no bonus. They would not commit to any training. They would not tell me what my job was going to be. They would not tell me where I would be stationed.

I really wanted to be a Marine, and sometimes I do regret not joining, but it turns out, there is a lot greater demand in the civilian world for somebody who has technical training than a rifleman.

The Marines are a fine service and IMO the best in the world. But there is always a but...Whatever he chooses to do should provide him with marketable skills when he gets out. There are a lot of grunts out there looking for jobs.

In todays economy, joining a non-technical military branch without the intention of retiring is, IMO, a poor choice.

Other than that, if you want to teach him anything about the military, let him know that he knows nothing. The guys that have it the worst in Boot are the guys that think they already know it all. He would do better to practice folding clothes, shining boots, and making his bed than to practice shooting.

FWIW, I went with the Navy.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    ...joining a non-technical military branch
    So how did I get into the technical field that I'm in today?

There are other options that 0311.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post

So how did I get into the technical field that I'm in today?

There are other options that 0311.
    I wasn't saying it wasn't possible. The Marines have several technical branches and honestly, I figured you would be the first to respond to what I wrote.

The fact that the Marines would not tell me what I would be doing prior to me joining was an issue to me.

Driving a tank or something like that would probably have been a lot of fun, but it doesn't necessarily translate into the civilian world.

The facts are that most people do not retire out of the service. You didn't, I didn't.

It's the choices we make in the service and what we did in the service that contributes to our success in the outside.

I advocate military service for just about everybody. I just think the people joining should look at all of the options rather than committing to one based on what they think its going to be or what the recruiter says.

The funniest and longest standing joke in Boot starts with, 'But my recruiter said...'.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

JD
    Administrator
    I agree. I would advise anyone wanting to join to go for a technical MOS.

But:

1: I had guaranteed 1 out of 3 technical fields, all of them had bonuses.

2: While choice of duty station is nice, it's not in the hands of the recruiter, no matter what branch you talk to (But the recruiter said...) one training accident or failed course throws you out of cycle and you miss your "boat space" for that duty station. Although I will admit that the USMC has the most piss poor choices for duty stations of all the branches UNLESS you reup and go Marine Security Guard at an embassy.

Top of the class for whatever and you usually get your choice of duty station, I guess that's just the USMC being different in that you have to actually EARN what you get, unless we're talking about Navy Achievement Medals, I've seen those thing handed out like shots for next to nothing.

If the kid really wants to join and does well on the ASVAB, let him join the Corps and get into a tech field, it he's a rock he can go be a Boatswains Mate, sweep decks and paint ships. If he's smart he has nothing to worry about in any branch.

And just remember, unlike the rumor even if he goes open contract he will not be a cook or a grunt.

JD,
    As you said, the ASVAB is the most important part. Until that score is known, there is no way to determine what advise or even what branch should be sugested.

Sometimes, I do regret not joining the Marines. There is a pride of being a Marine that is unlike any other branch.

That being said, the only point I wanted to make was that most 16 year olds have not evaluated all of their choices and all options should be considered, especially in this economy.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    I will definitely go against the grain here. If he is dead set on becoming a marine, you should be giving him other options.....

He seems pretty set on Special Forces. I'm fairly certain he could hack it physically, even though I'm sure it's tough to qualify. He does OK in school - he's not straight A by any means. But I would guess that most Mensa candidates go on to higher education anyway.....

Marines/Special Forces seems like a pretty good goal to me. Heck, having ANY real goal at age 16 is pretty damn impressive. I wouldn't consider myself qualified to advise him towards another life path.

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Chevy, I didn't mean it that way, but now that you add special forces to the mix, I would definitely reaffirm my early statement.

There are a lot of people who join thinking they will be a Seal or Marine Force Recon. Most of those guys don't make it, and a lot of those don't do well in their secondary programs because they are disappointed that they didn't get what they wanted.

Having a goal or plan is one thing. Being crushed because the plan didn't come true is something else.

Hope all goes well with your neighbor.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Dal1Celt View Post
    Won't say anything bad about the Marines. 23 years army here, but Dad was/is a Marine and I was tempted, but got the Airborne bug in me (Marines couldn't guarentee me a slot).

I didn't see anyone post about pull ups. I know Marines LOVE thier pull ups as much as the Airborne LOVE our dips.

I second the post about doing everything told with no complaints.

Good Luck and God Speed!
    Ahh A local! Airborne!

Make him watch the movie " THE DI " with Jack Webb that was made in the mid 60's and this will show him what the corp is all about & booth camp

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    **Note, original remedial action was Tap, Rack, Bang. This was Changed to SPORTS, I'm sure one of the younger Devil Pups can tell you what they teach now LOL.
    Tap Rap Bang and sports are both still taught, use Tap Rack and if that don't do it (like a stove-pipe) go to sports.

As far as marketability of grunts goes, I'm far from the average 0311 when it comes to ASVAB scores and prior education, I turned down every other job in the Marines and almost didn't join unless they guaranteed me infantry. A lot of people join the Marines to be a grunt, after 4 years (with great job security, steady pay, housing, medical), you can use the GI bill and get a good degree from a good college, if you join when you are 8, do 4 years in the Corps and 4 years schooling, that puts you at 26 with 4 years (and probably 2 combat deployments for a grunt) in the Marines, and a degree. Sounds pretty marketable to me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links