How to help neighbor kid prepare for Marines?

This is a discussion on How to help neighbor kid prepare for Marines? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I own a duplex and rent the other side to tenant family. They have a nice kid, 16 years old. He keeps saying he wants ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to help neighbor kid prepare for Marines?

How to help neighbor kid prepare for Marines?

I own a duplex and rent the other side to tenant family. They have a nice kid, 16 years old. He keeps saying he wants to join Marines as soon as he finishes High School. He has consistently said this for over a year now, so I'm starting to believe him. This kid is already in fabulous physical shape, he wrestles and plays football and runs like a deer. I know he won't have any trouble getting through boot camp.

Anyway, I've been shooting (competitively and casually) for 40 years now and I'd like to help him get started in learning to shoot and handle firearms. I'm looking for advice here, as to how to introduce him to shooting. I don't want to get him into any "bad habits", that is - things the Marines might not like. For instance, I used to do a lot of IPSC shooting. Obviously, I'm not gonna start him off in fast-draw and double-taps. But would it EVER be appropriate for me to show him this style of handgun shooting?

Or should I simply take him to rifle range only and practice gun safety, setting sights and marksmanship and such?

All comments welcome. I'm looking to help this kid out.

thanks
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Pistolcraft in the Military is only taught on a limited basis while it should be learned, his rifle will be his primary tool and that's what should be focused on.

Drill in the safety rules, weapons condition codes etc. I need to double check, but I think I all ready packed my last range book, if not I'll scan some pages for you.

Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
    Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot
    Keep your weapon on safe until you are ready to fire
    Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to fire

Drill in the basic fundamentals, breathing, trigger control, sight alignment, sight picture.

All those fundamentals will transfer to pistol shooting, but it will be easier to start with the rifle as it's just easier to shoot.

The best way to help anyone prepare for the Marines is to teach them to do as they're told to do.......immediately, enthusiastically, and with their mouth shut.

If he's in good physical shape and can do that, he'll be well on his way to becoming the platoon honor man!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Make him watch the movie full metal jacket LOL
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    To add on to JD's advice, dont teach him anything other than the basic safety stuff. You will be doing him a huge disservice in trying to teach him how to shoot. Being a military Pistol craft guy myself, the worst shooters are the ones who were taught by "grandpa in the back yard" They have a lot of bad habits to break, and no real skill. The Marines have their own way of doing things, let them do what they do best.

Military service is little more than a mind game. If he is mentally strong, he'll do fine no matter his physical condition. (but being in shape does make things a lot easier.)
    "Just blame Sixto"

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

Boot Camp

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

Military service is little more than a mind game. If he is mentally strong, he'll do fine no matter his physical condition. (but being in shape does make things a lot easier.)
    +1 Boot Camp is a test of fortitude, first and foremost. Physically you come up to speed in days or maybe weeks but the mind games that is what really takes a toll. As far as shooting the USMC will make sure he can handle a rifle.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I'll go against the grain here. I'd teach him basic sight picture shooting using an AR. A lot of young guys have only used scopes and have no idea on how to use a peep.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Pistolcraft in the Military is only taught on a limited basis while it should be learned, his rifle will be his primary tool and that's what should be focused on.

Drill in the safety rules, weapons condition codes etc. I need to double check, but I think I all ready packed my last range book, if not I'll scan some pages for you.

Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
    Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot
    Keep your weapon on safe until you are ready to fire
    Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to fire

Drill in the basic fundamentals, breathing, trigger control, sight alignment, sight picture.

All those fundamentals will transfer to pistol shooting, but it will be easier to start with the rifle as it's just easier to shoot.
    +1. Couldn't have said it much better.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

For me the head games was the worst, physical training not so much.
    My recommendation is teach him how to thoroughly clean an AR so it's spotless, that will go a long way in keeping the DI heat off.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Among what else was already posted...

Push ups and proper form lol
    and attention to detail. The stupidest little things will get you un needed attention from the DI's.

Pistols are very limited, basically just Gun teammembers ect. So anything you can teach him about breathing, sight picture, proper positioning, tactical reloading both ar and pistol would get him ahead of the curve. You can do alot by roughing him in, they will fine tune him.

Robbie

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Tell him to pay attention to detail. Everything he needs to know will be taught to him.

I'd take a little bit from every post here - all excellent suggestions. Has he talked to any actual Marines (besides a recruiter)? That might be good for him too. Maybe expose him to the other branches of the military? I'm former Air Force so I'm a bit partial, but all branches of the military are just as important. If he is in that great of shape, maybe Special Forces, Seals, Para Rescue would tempt him.

I would, first, talk to his parents and make sure they don't mind you doing this. They could have strong feelings against his joining the military - or against guns or...?

If his parents give him you the thumbs up, then go for it.
    Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? -- Patrick Henry

Yell a lot, especially if you are real close. If he's not close to you, make him get close so you can feel your breath bounce off his face while you are yelling.
    Seriously, Tiger Woods ask his dad to make him a great golfer. His dad ask if he was serious. He said he was. His dad was retired military. He worked on mental toughness with Tiger first and foremost. The rest, as they do so like to say, is history.

Teach him how to drink like a fish... I once took a friend of mine and two of his friends (all three of them Marines) out to a bar when they were on leave. I gave the credit card to the bartender and said "all of their drinks are on me". I think Im still paying that bill off But it was worth every penny.

Tell him to go Army, and since he is there go Infantry. and since He's doing that he should Go Airborne to get the girls.. it works lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links