Need LEO career advice

This is a discussion on Need LEO career advice within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I'm a college student and will be graduating sometime in the next year and halfish. My career goal is to become a police officer. ...

Thread: Need LEO career advice

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

Need LEO career advice

Well I'm a college student and will be graduating sometime in the next year and halfish. My career goal is to become a police officer. I had an internship with the campus PD who has state accreditation (unsure if that's the correct nomenclature, but they aren't rent-a-cops they have jurisdiction in the whole town). Anyhow, I was laid off because of state wide budget cuts and the PD took a hard hit because apparently it's a pretty safe campus (talk about being a victim of your own success).

I was curious if any of you LEO's out there knew of a internship program or any program that would allow me as a college student to put my foot in the door and get my name out there, or had any advice in general.

I sincerely appreciate it,

SDG
    Last edited by SilenceDoGood; February 12th, 2009 at 10:48 PM. Reason: to satisfy the grammer police.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

Check local departments for a Reserve Officer/Deputy program. See if you can do any civilian ride-alongs....
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Ask about a radio/dispatcher position - excellent experience for someone in your situation . . .
    Tejano
    tay-hah'-no . . . if ya don't savvy Tex-Mex
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I very well may be too old to be as good as I once was . . . but . . . don't make the the mistake of thinkin' I'm not as good once as I ever was . . .& . . . never forget - it only takes once to get the job done

Go see Uncle Joe at MCSO...he'll make you a posse member or a reserve if you want to go through the academy.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Go see Uncle Joe at MCSO...he'll make you a posse member or a reserve if you want to go through the academy.
    There's your foot in the door, And, it's a good one....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.

Silence

Sorry, I had a post that was a little harsh it has been removed. Good luck in your job search, my brother had to go all the way to Australia to find a job on the job.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I appreciate all the advice. I'm going to look into the Coconino and Maricopa sheriffs office reserve/ posse positions.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Look to see if they have a cadet program. Out here the cadets handle the office work do finger printing, etc. After college if you test you are bumped up a few steps on the ladder if you did a good job as a cadet.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Don't overlook the federal agencies, many of which have intern programs.

Re the feds: If you're interested in federal positions following graduation, begin the application process sooner than later. It is a relatively lengthy process at times, frequently lasting over a year.
    God, country, family.

If you lived in PA, I'd say spend the $3000.00 and put yourself through the academy. Don't know if you can do that in AZ. I tried for many years to get hired as a LEO, but had no luck. Put myself through the academy and within two weeks I was picked up by a small municipality part time. I got hired full time by a larger municipality across the state 5 years later. That was 22 years ago. Be patient and keep applying. You'll get picked up somewhere eventually.
    Good luck!

Links