LE Backup

This is a discussion on LE Backup within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Ok folks - we are cruisin' into the hypothetical again!! Just suppose your local LE has a monster problem - may be gang related - ...

Thread: LE Backup

Assistant Administrator

LE Backup

Ok folks - we are cruisin' into the hypothetical again!!

Just suppose your local LE has a monster problem - may be gang related - anything. Is it likely in this day and age (with everything so very PC) - that if push came to shove, they could or would draw us in to help - local level of course.

I know the word ''militia'' has less than good connotations these days but - heck, there is one much more than useful source of armed help in most districts .. us folks!

It does occasionally seem that in very high stress situations, even allowing for SWAT units being called upon - that I could see circumstances where calling in locals could help. We are after all - pretty much to the man I'd say - concerned with the protection and safety of our own neighborhood - at least on a personal level.

''Protect and serve'' - can only be spread so far.

Just musing!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    As an Officer i had citizens assist me in confrontations , and i have done the same with local Officers here , i for one wont stand around picking my nose whle an officer gets his butt whipped . all incidents i am talking about is simple resisting arrest , no firearms involved .

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    Actually if an officer ask for your help, and you refuse, its a crime (atleast it is in Oklahoma). But as far as mass assistance goes, it would revolve around the mentailty (and political affiliation) of the local govt and law enforcemnt leads. Take a look at New Orleans as an example. Alot of crap went down (I know I was there) but I was also disgusted to hear that the order from the local honchos was to take the weapon from every person they incountered. Worse yet, it happened. I have a feeling we'll see federal legislation this comming year to prevent that from ever "legally" happening again but who knows.
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fed_wif_a_sig
    I have a feeling we'll see federal legislation this comming year to prevent that from every "legally" happening again but who knows.

Unfortunately there is already legislation on the books that prohibits this from happening, it's called the second amendment. The problem is no one enforces it.

Once again, what we need is an enforcement of the rules already on the books, not another layer of laws to confuse everyone.

sorry, rant off.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Lead Moderator
    As a former Sheriff deputy , I would assist any officer who needed help.

I use to ride on patrol with a buddy of mine on a regular basis so I was known by most of the 2nd and 3rd shift deputies, and I drove a distinctive company service truck. On 3 occasions I had deputies on their way to a call with little probability of backup spot my truck at a "coffee" shop we hung out at, stop and pick me up for backup.

In today’s PC world I doubt the LE upper echelon would even consider such a move as calling on “civilians” for assistance. But I personally would never hesitate to stop along the highway to render assistance to a cop that looked liked like he was in trouble; neither can I pass another motorist in trouble.

I have given people rides to a gas station AND BACK that have run out of gas or broke down, changed flat tires for women etc. One time a buddy and I stopped to help a couple 16 (or so) year old girls that had blown a heater hose in an old Ford after midnight, as we were working to rig a bypass(he was driving a race car and we had all the tools) a state trooper stopped to check on what was going on. He held a flashlight as I was finishing up; my jacket had ridden up over the grips of the 4” S&W 66 I was carrying exposing it, and as we stood there to see if the bypass would hold he shined his light on my now exposed sidearm. He said “You do have a permit for that don’t you”? I said “yes sir” and reached for my wallet, he just said “That’s OK, just checking. Your buddy packing too”? I said “Yes sir, we both have our permits” and started reaching for my wallet again. He just said “That’s Ok, just checking. I thought you were pretty stupid for stopping on this stretch of highway late at night, but you have things under control and I’m off duty so; have a nice night and take care”; and off he went. We followed the girls to the house of the driver and made sure they got in the house OK and then headed on home. Being able to carry gives me the security to stop and help others in situations that could be potentially dangerous, I have done it in the past and will do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by F350
    I use to ride on patrol with a buddy of mine on a regular basis so I was known by most of the 2nd and 3rd shift deputies, and I drove a distinctive company service truck. On 3 occasions I had deputies on their way to a call with little probability of backup spot my truck at a "coffee" shop we hung out at, stop and pick me up for backup.

In today’s PC world I doubt the LE upper echelon would even consider such a move as calling on “civilians” for assistance. But I personally would never hesitate to stop along the highway to render assistance to a cop that looked liked like he was in trouble; neither can I pass another motorist in trouble.

I have given people rides to a gas station AND BACK that have run out of gas or broke down, changed flat tires for women etc. One time a buddy and I stopped to help a couple 16 (or so) year old girls that had blown a heater hose in an old Ford after midnight, as we were working to rig a bypass(he was driving a race car and we had all the tools) a state trooper stopped to check on what was going on. He held a flashlight as I was finishing up; my jacket had ridden up over the grips of the 4” S&W 66 I was carrying exposing it, and as we stood there to see if the bypass would hold he shined his light on my now exposed sidearm. He said “You do have a permit for that don’t you”? I said “yes sir” and reached for my wallet, he just said “That’s OK, just checking. Your buddy packing too”? I said “Yes sir, we both have our permits” and started reaching for my wallet again. He just said “That’s Ok, just checking. I thought you were pretty stupid for stopping on this stretch of highway late at night, but you have things under control and I’m off duty so; have a nice night and take care”; and off he went. We followed the girls to the house of the driver and made sure they got in the house OK and then headed on home. Being able to carry gives me the security to stop and help others in situations that could be potentially dangerous, I have done it in the past and will do it again.

WOW! That post got me to thinking. Mabie thats why somtimes when with family in the car i hessitate to stop and help someone with their flashers on. I always figured if they were in their vehicle they might have someone comming and diddnt want to stop... i know its not the right thing to assume but always felt skiddish. I have stoped and helped many people ( i dont just pass everyone by) but on rural roads or late at night i felt that it would be better to get my little family home and then come back. and useally they were gone by then. Now that I can carry, I think ill be more prone to stop and help knowing i have a little more security. That really made me stop and think about that situation. Thanks for causing a paradime (spelled wrong) shift for me!
    I carry because I care.
    "An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject."
    "Cling to the Father and His Holy name, and don't go riding on the Long Black Train" - Josh Turner

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelicious
    WOW! That post got me to thinking. Mabie thats why somtimes when with family in the car i hessitate to stop and help someone with their flashers on. I always figured if they were in their vehicle they might have someone comming and diddnt want to stop... i know its not the right thing to assume but always felt skiddish. I have stoped and helped many people ( i dont just pass everyone by) but on rural roads or late at night i felt that it would be better to get my little family home and then come back. and useally they were gone by then. Now that I can carry, I think ill be more prone to stop and help knowing i have a little more security. That really made me stop and think about that situation. Thanks for causing a paradime (spelled wrong) shift for me!
    Remember , family comes first. Just because you have a gun , it doesn't fix all problems.
    I do not stop for someone , unless
    1 I can plainly see they have auto problems
    2 I can evaluate the people
    3 I do not have my kids with me
    4 they are elderly or appear to unable to cope with their problem
    I will stop and as if someone needs to call for a wrecker or such, if I feel comfortable doing so, but am on guard.
    While the majority of folks are harmless, I don't take chances with my family.

Rocky,
    Good points. Yesterday in a bad snowstorm my GF and I were returning home from a Dog show. A young lady pulled off the Interstate. I didn't stop because she was pulling out a cell phone. I'm not sure if she had a breakdown or just needed to talk to somebody.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

I do have some heart burn over our local PD. But If an officer is in a situation, and is in need of help. I would be more than willing to assist in any way I can.

A customer of mine was one called upon by a officer to help when he was camping in the mountains, a number of years back.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Id help if called upon not sure local pd would ask but they know me pretty well. Almost everyone there knows me First and last name

Links