Texas DPS

This is a discussion on Texas DPS within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was reading some post and notices there are a few LEO on here, I myself am wanting to be a State Trooper down here ...

Thread: Texas DPS

Texas DPS

I was reading some post and notices there are a few LEO on here, I myself am wanting to be a State Trooper down here in Texas. Are there any of yall on this site? Just looking for some information on it. Likes/dislikes any advice you could give. However anyone thats LEO feel free to put in your two cents!!

Thanks, Tommy

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by conservative View Post
    I was reading some post and notices there are a few LEO on here, I myself am wanting to be a State Trooper down here in Texas. Are there any of yall on this site? Just looking for some information on it. Likes/dislikes any advice you could give. However anyone thats LEO feel free to put in your two cents!!

Thanks, Tommy
    Get a hold of a DPS recruiter and see what they have or talk to a DPS Trooper, they'll give you the straight story. I checked into it upon retirement from the service, then decided I didn't want to do the cop thing anymore after retirement.

They are paid good and the academy is around 6 months long and you'll probably get assigned to the not so desirable areas of the State (unless you get lucky) to start out with until you gain seniority or rank.

It's a darn fine organization with good benefits and a good retirement plan also.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

VIP Member
    I'm a city cop and I can tell you its a great career.
    Find a local trooper and talk to them to get their take on things with the DPS.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

There is a buddy of mine over here in Iraq that is a DPS trooper and has been one for I think 12 years and he told me when I inquired about it that he enjoyed it but he is ready to do something else. He said it is boring at times and fun at times. If you want to more info you need to talk to a trooper or two.
    Bryan A Dreyer
    Sgt USMC/US Army
    .45 ACP

Links