Iowa National Guard to practice house to house gun searches!! (MERGED)

This is a discussion on Iowa National Guard to practice house to house gun searches!! (MERGED) within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My statement is to the number of liberal dems that now have the power to push their agendas, whether or not they do only time ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Iowa National Guard to practice house to house gun searches!! (MERGED)

My statement is to the number of liberal dems that now have the power to push their agendas, whether or not they do only time will tell. But I don't think of people who are keeping an eye open as paranoid as much as vigilant.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    My statement is to the number of liberal dems that now have the power to push their agendas, whether or not they do only time will tell. But I don't think of people who are keeping an eye open as paranoid as much as vigilant.
    Don't get me wrong. We always need to pay attention to potential infringements. But the Federal government is prevented by the Second Amendment, as the Heller opinion demonstrated, from banning/confiscating/disarming Americans. The panic is not justified. (At least not on the gun issue.)

Yes, taxes may and probably will be increased. Ammo is the least of my concerns of likely tax increases. Other tax increases will make any ammo tax negligible. Taxation is not an infringement of rights.

The only concern should be state legislation. And with few exceptions, it is mostly pro gun legislation that is being proposed and enacted throughout the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Let's see. The DC gun ban was lifted. The Court opined that the Second Amendment protected an individual right. Some jurisdictions lifted their bans because of the Heller opinion. The AWB expired. More and more states have passed legislation providing for concealed carry. Widespread laws providing for justifiable self defense are becoming the norm.

What is getting worse? The paranoia?

In reality, gun rights are being expanded nation wide and that has been the trend for decades.
    To me reclaiming rights that the government took away is not an expansion of rights.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    We all laugh an ridicule each other for crying wolf...
    Only toward the unbalanced statements (per the title of the thread I replied to, something like, "It has begun"). I think it is a good topic, but one sided paranoia robs the valid comparisons of their proper impact (same as crying wolf, when you don't really see one).
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Yes, taxes may and probably will be increased. Ammo is the least of my concerns of likely tax increases. Other tax increases will make any ammo tax negligible. Taxation is not an infringement of rights.

The only concern should be state legislation. And with few exceptions, it is mostly pro gun legislation that is being proposed and enacted throughout the nation.

Yep, they will surely try to make it cost prohibitive to use the guns we already own.
    Many states have indeed eased restrictions or enacted things such as Castle Laws but a lot more states need to jump on board. I unfortunately live in a state with the likes of Chuckie Schumer and have a long hard battle until we are up to speed with the ''free states''.
    Last edited by rottkeeper; March 1st, 2009 at 12:03 AM. Reason: fix text
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    Yep, they will surely try to make it cost prohibitive to use the guns we already own.
    One man's cost prohibitive is another man's chump change. Taxes are an unfortunate necessity. As of now NOTHING has been proposed so there is nothing to discuss. You say they 'will surely' but until a bill is proposed they haven't done anything. It is not politically popular to raise taxes and even giving the appearance of being anti-2A is politcal death.

We pay excessive taxes on income, property, liquor, gasoline, cigarettes, general sales, We pay exessive fees for auto registration, mandatory insurance, friving on roads, use of public lands, hunting and fishing. A tax on ammunition is so far down in the noise as to be nothing but a political football.

Many states have indeed eased restrictions or enacted things such as Castle Laws but a lot more states need to jump on board. I unfortunately live in a state with the likes of Chuckie Schumer and have a long hard battle until we are up to speed with the ''free states''.
    It starts at the grass roots level. Politics is local. We need to groom our future politicians instilling the morals of the community. There are many groups of [conservative] young people that want to become involved. That is where change will occur. It will not happen overnight. (Sorry revolutionists.)

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post

There are military bases all over this country with "mock towns" from Quantico to 29 Palms, Ca. for this kind of training.
    Yep. And they don't have residents to deal with. Or carpets to worry about muddying. Or furnishings to avoid damaging.

My infantry course "invaded" the town of Urbana, VA and got absolutely the best training of our lives dealing with the realities that simply cannot be simulated in a bunch of concrete-block buildings. That's where we learned to kick in doors and kill people. Urbana was where we learned skills that would be more useful before the shooting started, and might have prevented the shooting from starting. I think the residents were proud to help us with our training and had a ball putting it all on for us, too.

This, by the way, was a few years pre-911. Way before the paranoia meter started cranking itself up. And, coincidentally, when experiences in real-life combat pointed towards the obvious fact that future wars would likely involve low-intensity operations in urban environments. Of course, I'm sure this just shows the depth of the plot for some people here..

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links